Post by Peterlplp »

Richard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:07 pm I Am Mother
Tested did a good video about the robut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_XwRFD5Lqs
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Rich B »

I’m halfway through El Camino. It’s REALLY slow. I’m hoping the second half picks up the pace a little.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 am I just started watching Breaking Bad yesterday. :oops:
Don't worry. It's overrated. Some of it is superb but quite a lot is dull. Not in the same league as The Soprano's, Gomorra, Chernobyl etc.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:11 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 am I just started watching Breaking Bad yesterday. :oops:
Don't worry. It's overrated. Some of it is superb but quite a lot is dull. Not in the same league as The Soprano's, Gomorra, Chernobyl etc.
The 3rd series of BB is pretty dull, but worth enduring for the rest.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rich B wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:13 pm
The 3rd series of BB is pretty dull, but worth enduring for the rest.
Oh, I binged the first two seasons in a fortnight but after watching episode 1 of season 3 I decided to have a BB rest. Catching up on F1 Race to survive which is still very enjoyable even a year or of date.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

You're right, it is in a different league, just slightly above all of those. Although Chernobyl runs it a close second I think. I think The Sopranos & The Wire both had some weaker episodes/seasons and struggled to hit the ground running - especially if you go back and watch some of those early Sopranos episodes now.

The slow pacing of BB is one of its best characteristics imo.
Cheers,

Mike.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Watched Joker this morning. Joaquin Phoenix is excellent, bringing a lot from each previous actor's performance into his own.

Subway scenes have never looked so good, and the King of Comedy angle gave it some class. The love interest twist was piss poor though. 8/10, good to see another superhero film different from the norm.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:54 pm
You're right, it is in a different league, just slightly above all of those. Although Chernobyl runs it a close second I think. I think The Sopranos & The Wire both had some weaker episodes/seasons and struggled to hit the ground running - especially if you go back and watch some of those early Sopranos episodes now.

The slow pacing of BB is one of its best characteristics imo.
We shall have to disagree on this one 😂😂 I'm glad you got more out of BB than I did.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I might give Gomorrah a try.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

El Camino

tl;dr Jesse runs away to Alaska.

Not worth watching
Beany

Post by Beany »

I thought it was a good epilogue for Jesse, given that the last we see of him in the series is him breaking out of captivity.

It's not an essential watch is you haven't seen/didn't gel with Breaking Bad, but if you enjoyed the characters and felt you wanted to know how the hell Jesse lasts more than five minutes after the events of the series, it's definitely something that you'll enjoy.

The pacing is deliberate, cinematography is great as you'd expect from Gilligan, and it ties a neat knot in Jesse's character that was otherwise seemingly cast aside in the show to concentrate on Walter White.

It's very clearly made for fans though. No hand holding, no 'as you know' moments; you could literally go from the last episode of BB straight into this, and that's how it's been framed, set up, and executed.

Seven facial scars out of ten.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nathan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm El Camino

Not worth watching
Watched it yesterday. Poor.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Avengers - End Game as it was with Infinity War, I really rather enjoyed it. Too long but lots to cram in.

Is it weird that I find Karen Gillan as Nebula more attractive than as Karen Gillan??? 😂😂😂
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Broccers wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 pm
Nathan wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm El Camino

Not worth watching
Watched it yesterday. Poor.
Watched it today. Good.

I think I was expecting more as it was billed as a ‘movie’ but it’s just a two hour episode of BB, which is fine by me.
tim

Post by tim »

I really enjoyed El Camino for all the reasons beany said.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Me too. Great acting, especially by psycho retard killer Todd.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I honestly thought it was a first episode of a spin off as didn't read any reviews.

Mixed bag of opinions, I am pleased for those that enjoyed it :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Beany wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:23 pm I thought it was a good epilogue for Jesse, given that the last we see of him in the series is him breaking out of captivity.

It's not an essential watch is you haven't seen/didn't gel with Breaking Bad, but if you enjoyed the characters and felt you wanted to know how the hell Jesse lasts more than five minutes after the events of the series, it's definitely something that you'll enjoy.

The pacing is deliberate, cinematography is great as you'd expect from Gilligan, and it ties a neat knot in Jesse's character that was otherwise seemingly cast aside in the show to concentrate on Walter White.

It's very clearly made for fans though. No hand holding, no 'as you know' moments; you could literally go from the last episode of BB straight into this, and that's how it's been framed, set up, and executed.

Seven facial scars out of ten.
To me it felt they're milking the cash cow but subcontracted the process. The cinematography and direction felt not incongruent but completely different to BB or Better Call Saul.

Also felt disjointed and story boarded from BB leftovers. The whole scene with the ex-gf for instance. So deep/ many wows.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Nathan wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:01 pm Between Two Ferns: The Movie

I was genuinely looking forward to this, but to summarise all the best bits are in the trailers and the blooper reel running in the credits.

Standard Netflix crap
Started watching this on Sat night, based on the trailer. Turned it off after 10mins. Dull as f**k.

Joker - Stunning.