The Movie Thread

McSwede

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by McSwede »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 am Aye, I fell asleep through The Predator. Utter dogshit.
The guy with tourette's was particularly terrible!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Between Two Ferns: The Movie

I was genuinely looking forward to this, but to summarise all the best bits are in the trailers and the blooper reel running in the credits.

Standard Netflix crap
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Has anyone watched Hotel Mumbai yet? I suspect its not very good :lol:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

McSwede wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:05 am The Predator - I watched this tripe while Mrs McSwede was at the pub the other night. Pretty tragic really and the cast was awful.

Don't bother!!
I saw it at the cinema and thought it was good fun :? :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Spiderman - Far From Home
Basically another decent Sony/Marvel flick. Very much more of the same, although Jake Gyllenhaal looked like he was having a blast, hamming it up like a good 'un.
6 fake british number plates out of 10

Spiderman - Into the Spiderverse
This has sort of slipped by me, but it was also enjoyable, more so that FFH in a lot of ways; sharper dialogue, more interesting story, very nicely done and polished. Good soundtrack, self-aware enough to be enjoyable without it getting tedious.
Totally worth a look for the visual style alone, which pretty delicious.
8 cartoon pig spidermen with hammerspace pockets 10 - because it's something new and a bit different compared to the last 40 superhero flicks there have been; hopefully they'll get a sequel.

John Wick 3
More of the same, but significantly more polished. Effectively a two hour stunt featurette with decent bits of sarcasm and stoicism in between. If you liked the other two, you'll enjoy it. More of a concentration on knife fighting and hand to hand combat.
7 shots to the face out of 10
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Driven

I really enjoyed this

Last edited by Nathan on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Into The Spiderverse 2 was announced a couple of days ago with the announcement that Sony and Disney had sorted their shit out to make more MCU Spider-Man stuff.

Really looking forward to it, the first one was great.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm Into The Spiderverse 2 was announced a couple of days ago with the announcement that Sony and Disney had sorted their shit out to make more MCU Spider-Man stuff.

Really looking forward to it, the first one was great.
Oh, that's good news then!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Gavin wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 am Took the boy to see Hobbs & Shaw, was a bit swearier than I expected. I watched the first film way back and thought it was essentially Point Break with cars and never bothered with any of the sequels but this one looked totally silly and so it turned out to be.

I quite enjoyed it and the hate for each other that Rock & Turkish displayed was amusing. Got sillier and sillier as the film went on but the lad enjoyed it although he did come home and tell my wife it had "lots of swearing" so I got a glower. :)
Watched this last night. It was quite good if you aren't able to sleep :D
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

DaveE wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 pm Ad Astra

Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones (plus a nice cameo from Natasha Lyonne who was in Netflix's "Russian Doll") in a kind of 'Apocalypse Now in space' movie.

I really enjoyed it.

Highly recommended.
I fell asleep several times and it was a 11am showing!

I preferred the prequel where he was growing spuds in poo.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nathan wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm Driven

I really enjoyed this

Best be good its just starting.....
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:38 pm
Nathan wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm Driven

I really enjoyed this

Best be good its just starting.....
Starting a movie at 9.38 in the evening, and on a school night. What kind of lunacy is this?? 😂
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Can't sleep before midnight just the way it is.

Pretty good. Worth a watch fellas!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I watched Joker the other day.

It’s a good film. Joaquin is excellent in it.

So far, I’ve not committed some ultra hardcore INCEL violent shooting, which is apparently a concern?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Joker outstanding acting, stunning cinematography and pretty much exactly what I don't want out of a superhero/villain movie.

It had some slightly odd moments where you're expected to play along with the regular comic book movie tropes while watching the grimmest, grimiest most "real" version of Gotham City and inhabitants there's ever likely to be. A facepalmingly stupid "explicitly explain what is going on for the hard of thinking" scene also had no place in an otherwise very strong film.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Dark Phoenix

It wasn't bad but it didn't add up to much. Another X-Men movie that takes a classic storyline from the source material and does nothing with it.

In The Tall Grass

Netflix movie based on a Steven King short story, it was pretty decent. It's as silly as you would expect a movie about a spooky field to be but it had a decent atmosphere.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm
In The Tall Grass

Netflix movie based on a Steven King short story, it was pretty decent. It's as silly as you would expect a movie about a spooky field to be but it had a decent atmosphere.
I didn’t know it was Steven King until the end credits, but it felt VERY much like one of his all the way through. I was pretty sure it must have been him. Felt very similar to Children of The Corn.

I quite liked it

Last night we watch I Am Mother, which is a story about a girl, who after a global extinction level event is grown in a test tube and now lives in an underground bunker, raised by a robot. It’s also on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. One of those “is everything as it seems” sort of films.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Richard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:07 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm
In The Tall Grass

I didn’t know it was Steven King until the end credits, but it felt VERY much like one of his all the way through. I was pretty sure it must have been him. Felt very similar to Children of The Corn.

I quite liked it

Last night we watch I Am Mother, which is a story about a girl, who after a global extinction level event is grown in a test tube and now lives in an underground bunker, raised by a robot. It’s also on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. One of those “is everything as it seems” sort of films.
I watched I Am Mother a while back, really enjoyed it.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

RobYob wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 am Joker outstanding acting, stunning cinematography and pretty much exactly what I don't want out of a superhero/villain movie.
Yeah, saw it last night and thought the same.. Fantastic but I wasn't entertained.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Watched El Camino last night and it was really good, a nice epilogue to Breaking Bad. Just makes me want to re-watch the series again.

Woke up this morning to see that Robert Forster has died at 78. I thought he was amazing in Jackie Brown and latterly he was in Twin Peaks and obviously Breaking Bad too.
Cheers,

Mike.