The Movie Thread

mik

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by mik »

The Intruder

A few plot holes, much dopiness from the main lady character, but several scares. Who knew Denis Quaid woukd play a convincing nutbar?

6.5 Its really quite painful when you embed your fingernails in my forearm babes, out of 10
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:57 pm The Intruder

A few plot holes, much dopiness from the main lady character, but several scares. Who knew Denis Quaid woukd play a convincing nutbar?

6.5 Its really quite painful when you embed your fingernails in my forearm babes, out of 10
She has a point though babes.
mik

Post by mik »

FOYC :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched Avengers: Endgame last night.

It was good, of course it was good. It was basically 3 hours of fan service for the people who've been watching these movies for the last 10 years. All the things that people like about the Marvel movies were there and they couldn't have made a better full stop for the first Avengers story than Steve Rogers getting a happy ending.

Whether you think that Disney's increasing strangle hold on pop culture is good or bad, what they and the people who worked on all the MCU movies have done here is a huge achievement.

It's a must watch for anyone who's enjoyed the Marvel movies. There's no point in trying if you haven't.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:32 pmNew The Lion King is practically irredeemable. John Oliver is no Rowan Atkinson, Chiwetel Ejiofor is no Jeremy Irons and repeat for every single cast member. Even James Earl Jones 2019 is no James Earl Jones 1994.
I found the trailer a bit strange but not entirely sure why. The tech looks amazing so its not uncanny valley, but something just seemed a bit "off" about the overall look of, well, everything.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm
RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:32 pmNew The Lion King is practically irredeemable. John Oliver is no Rowan Atkinson, Chiwetel Ejiofor is no Jeremy Irons and repeat for every single cast member. Even James Earl Jones 2019 is no James Earl Jones 1994.
I found the trailer a bit strange but not entirely sure why. The tech looks amazing so its not uncanny valley, but something just seemed a bit "off" about the overall look of, well, everything.
I saw the 'hakuna matata' bit on the internet, and the fact that the animals couldn't even begin to emote (because realistic skeletal structures behind the rendering etc) was killing it for me.

There's a reason it was a cartoon in the first place, and it wasn't just because the CGi wasn't good enough back then.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, I’ve heard the lack of the sillier stuff from the cartoon leaves it a bit flat. Pumbas little dance and the monkeys king fu...
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm
Fundamentally it's a weird decision to go realistic animation but still have them talk and sing. For example the animated Timon sings with a big cheesy smile, "realistic" Timon sings with a face full of sharp fangs.

And frankly the new voice cast fucking massacred Hakuna Matata.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

You’re not selling it lads... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mother Nature isn’t full of fluffy bunnies, they seemed to forget this when choosing a remake and making it realistic.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:43 pm You’re not selling it lads... :lol:
Christ, the first one was turgid shit for kids and girls so who gives a crap about a remake? :lol:
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Christ, the first one was turgid shit for kids and girls so who gives a crap about a remake? :lol:
Aside from the bit where Elton John sings, the original Lion King is an excellent film.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I haven’t seen it - the original one...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Avengers Endgame

As Zed says, it's as good as they could do to tie back everything from fook knows how many films cohesively, and it does.

I think I might be a bit burned out on Marvel though as I didn't really get too deeply into it. That said, I'm not really massively into the Marvel stuff.

Again, as Zed said, if you really like the Marvel stuff, you'll really like this. I thought it was fine, in a good way.

7 confused moments where you try to remember who that character was out of 10.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:00 pm
It might have been for kids but it was far from shit.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:07 pm I haven’t seen it - the original one...
I never knew it had an Elton John number in it, but it is exactly the sort of film that would have, if that tells you all you need to know Dinny. The first (IIRC) of the modern Disney films with the godawful, vomit-inducing musical score.

I'm fortunate enough to have only seen fractions of it, escaping before driving some form of sharp implement through both ears.

Then, it would be fair to say I'm very much not a fan of musicals.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm
I never knew it had an Elton John number in it, but it is exactly the sort of film that would have, if that tells you all you need to know Dinny.
You didn’t know that the film famously scored by Tim Rice & Elton John had an Elton John song in it?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:36 pm
I never knew it had an Elton John number in it, but it is exactly the sort of film that would have, if that tells you all you need to know Dinny.
You didn’t know that the film famously scored by Tim Rice & Elton John had an Elton John song in it?
it only won two Oscars for the music, so understandable.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swerve, I’m with you on musicals, I’d rather sit through Shockdiamonds YouTube channel on repeat for a week than sit through 15 minutes of Grease/Sound of Music/etc... but the Lion King is a genuinely good film, and there’s only one musical scene that’s a bit shit.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:36 pm
And that Elton John had a best selling album with music inspired by it?