The Movie Thread

V8Granite

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by V8Granite »

Porco Rosso, it’s a Japanese film about a flying pig. It’s very Art Deco in the way it is drawn and every scene with a plane in is gorgeous. The kids loved it and it’s now overtaken Akita as my favourite cartoon film.

It was re-done recently with Michael Keaton as the pig.

The trailer is rubbish sadly but since re-watching with the boys (3 and 5) I’ve fallen in love with it again.

9 coming out of the suns out of 10.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 am Porco Rosso, it’s a Japanese film about a flying pig. It’s very Art Deco in the way it is drawn and every scene with a plane in is gorgeous. The kids loved it and it’s now overtaken Akita as my favourite cartoon film.

It was re-done recently with Michael Keaton as the pig.

The trailer is rubbish sadly but since re-watching with the boys (3 and 5) I’ve fallen in love with it again.

9 coming out of the suns out of 10.

Dave!
well that just opens up the whole spectrum of studio ghibli films to watch! Lots are probably a bit old for your kids at the moment - stuff like Howls moving castle, spirited away and princess mononoke are well worth watching as an adult though.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just don't watch Grave of the Fireflies with them.

Castle of Cagliostro was on Netflix recently, I'm not sure if it's still there but it's a great movie.
An absolute unit
John

Post by John »

Journeyman

I’ve just watched this on Film 4 and what a brilliant but at the same time depressing film. Paddy Considine films are always worth a watch in my opinion and I was only recently raving to a friend about “Dead Man’s Shoes”.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ah it's on all4 for the next week, I'll give it a watch tonight. I like Paddy Considine and a boxing movie.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Can't wait to see Journeyman, great that its available all week.

Saw Us yesterday and loved it. Lupita Nyong'o is brilliant, I loved the dark humour, the soundtrack and although the whole premise was a bit batshit crazy, I was really well done.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Toy Story 4 the completely unnecessary sequel to a beautiful trilogy with the perfect ending, is the perfect ending to an outstanding quadrilogy.

Dunno how they pulled it off but it really is just wonderful.
tim

Post by tim »

We went to see it yesterday, I'm not sure I'd go that far, 3 was better for me, but it was decent.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:48 pm Toy Story 4 the completely unnecessary sequel to a beautiful trilogy with the perfect ending, is the perfect ending to an outstanding quadrilogy.

Did you stay to the end of the credits?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:48 pm Toy Story 4 the completely unnecessary sequel to a beautiful trilogy with the perfect ending, is the perfect ending to an outstanding quadrilogy.

I think I read somewhere that it was originally intended to be Toy Story 2 but they shelved it as they felt there needed to be more character development but they'd even started the animation process before switching to a different storyline. Or my brain made it up, because I've no idea where I saw/heard this.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Did you stay to the end of the credits?
We didn't no damnit, all the cut away's during the first part of the credits were great so didn't expect anything right at the end. Shall have to go see it again. :D

Rev a quick google on stuff happening around Toy Story 2 was that it was tangled up in the Pixar-Disney split where Disney held the rights to the characters but Pixar wasn't involved in the production, that all resolved when Disney bought Pixar.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Spiderman - No Banana. I thought it was good, follows the standard Spiderman formula of things going a bit poop at the end for young Parker but my 8 year old son was riveted throughout. I did guffaw at one point, I think it was a band reference that most of the audience was too young to get and there were a few laugh out loud moments and some spectacular action (CGI) scenes too. Stay right to the end of the credits.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Finally saw Captain Marvel and really, really liked it. Loved the 90s gags, the action was well done, some of the visuals were great and it was just a rollicking fun movie. Really don't understand some of the hate (or even "meh") for it.
Cheers,

Mike.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:06 pm Finally saw Captain Marvel and really, really liked it. Loved the 90s gags, the action was well done, some of the visuals were great and it was just a rollicking fun movie. Really don't understand some of the hate (or even "meh") for it.
Long haul to australia next week and its on the playlist so plan to watch it then.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

With the upcoming anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the moon, I watched Apollo 13 again. I'm still struck by how good it is, what a remarkable escape it was and how close to disaster all the space flights in the Apollo programme were.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Atomic Blonde

Fairly standard issue “put the pretty lead in as many period appropriate OTT outfits/locations as possible” film. Light on actual story and trying to make up for it with style.

I’d say it failed, except for one stand out scene - which was a John Wick style action 10 minute long single shot (though I suspect it was 3-4 cleverly stitched together) which was pretty impressive.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I quite enjoyed Atomic Blonde but I was hammered when I watched it. Probably helped.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Alita: Battle Angel
Not bad at all. Excellent effects. Moves along at a decent pace, although the writing is a bit sloppy. Not too narmy. Worth a poke if you like your sci fi stuff.

6 oversized cute eyes out of 10.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah I started watching this on the plane today but realised a new film was beyond my ability to process so cracked out a couple of seasons of Eastbound And Down instead :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

:lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…