The Movie Thread

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Rich B »

McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:29 pm Red Notice. A bit boring and a bit shit.
I thought it was ok (for a film staring RR and the rock), just like most of these films - a couple of scenes too long.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Started watching it and had to give up after about 15 minutes. Awful tosh.

Switched to Narcos Mexico S3 and that was a lot better.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

Trailer looks interesting.

I can see this being pretty close to how it would go in reality too….

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:04 am Took the lad to see Dune last night, first time at the movies for a few years. I enjoyed it (aided by a couple of beers I snuck in), perhaps too many shots of Zendaya although of course I know the significance. I think my boy was bored after an hour as not enough pew pew pew. Have garrred it now for a second watch, I think that's kind of fair enough?
Good that 👌
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Last Night in Soho, the new Edgar Wright one... If you've only seen the first trailer, it will be a massive shock to you. If you've seen the second trailer, you'll be more prepared for what it actually is. I'm guessing that was a deliberate ploy with the two trailers, but its got me overthinking it.

Anyway, I loved the first two thirds of it, but it failed to stick the landing IMO. There's some amazing sequences set to music, it looks great and its really well done, but then, I don't know, it just seems to lose its way and become a bit of a disappointing cliche and a bit of a confusing "message". I won't say anymore as its definitely worth watching and going-in knowing nothing about it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

King Richard, about Venus and Serena Williams and their single-minded father. Really enjoyed it; too long though (2hr 25m) but unlike Bond it didn’t drag.

Has COVID led to directors cutting less from the final release because they need more content?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Ghost Busters: Took my lad at the weekend. Way way better than the originals. Paul Rudd plays himself as usual (no bad thing) and some really nice nods to the originals too. Cannot say more as might spoil it.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Better than the originals? Really?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I can't remember a movie in recent times which has had such massively polarising reviews as Ghost Busters. Quite a few saying its terrible, many more saying its average and a few saying its AMAZING.

I've heard quite a few people saying the original ones just aren't as good as we all like to remember, but I've not watched them in a while so might one this new one is available too.

Controversially I've also seen a few people recently saying the 2016 one isn't as bad as it was made out to be.

Mrs Mike wanted to watch Last Night in Soho too and loved it. I enjoyed it more second time round although the nuanced message still seems to have been a wee bit fumbled/black & white than it actually is.
Cheers,

Mike.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

French Dispatch

Rubbish.

I like Wes Anderson films (Grand Budapest Hotel is a favourite) but this was self indulgent

Each bit/scene/sequence was good, there was just far too much of it

Kind of like over-eating a nice meal spoils it

Shame
Simon

Post by Simon »

I watched Red Notice at the weekend.

Terrible, but Reynolds does get some good lines that made me chuckle.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Disappointed to hear about The French Dispatch as I love his movies.

It’s been one of those write-off days due to whatever is wrong with me so watched some total nonsense as a result….

Venom - Utter tripe.

Venom Let There Be Carnage - Utter tripe. But quite good fun, entertaining and I liked the sense of humour.

I’m now watching the two Andrew Garfield Spider-Man movies. Looks like President Bartlett is in them so how bad can they be?
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

I watched Venom Let There Be Carnage tonight too, and rather than tripe, I'd say it's liver or kidney - ok, it's not steak, bit when it's done well it's perfectly fine.

And it's fine, although the third act felt a little rushed and wobbly. Certainly looks like Hardy was enjoying himself.

Five on the nose homoerotic subtexts of ten, but a good five if you're in the mood for something simple and entertaining.

The Ghostbusters 2016, it's garbage based purely on the editing alone which was genuinely terrible - it's like claiming that a stab in the eye is good because it's was done with feeling. You've still been stabbed in the eye....
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I really quite enjoyed Let There be Carnage but it was as derivative as could be. I liked the inner monologue and banter - am impressed with what Serkis did with a limited script. Definite promise there.

Why does Venom look like Spiderman though with the eyes?
Last edited by Ascender on Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

The Amazing Spiderman.... I know these were hated by the comic book nerds (who apparently hate pretty much every Spiderman movie because they're not "authentic" to the comics) but I thought it was OK. Nowhere near as good as the best Raimi ones or the new ones, but it was enjoyable enough. Was more than a bit strange seeing Garfield and Emma Stone pretending to be 17 though...
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Rich B wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:29 pm Red Notice. A bit boring and a bit shit.
I thought it was ok (for a film staring RR and the rock), just like most of these films - a couple of scenes too long.
I thought it was watchably OK…

I liked the Indians Jones tribute, right down the the correct punch sound.. :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Binged quite a few on the plane. SIA had rather nice 10" screens.

Shang Chi and some maguffins quite watchable and some fun fights

Black Widow meh, nothing new here. Kinda weird to see Stranger things' Hap last seen stuck in a Russian prison emerge as a Russian super hero.

1917 really very good, was surprised how much more I enjoyed this over the decent Dunkirk but the whole single shot conceit and good leads made it great.

Eternal sunshine on the spotless mind one of those films that's so talked about but I'd not seen. Yes it's great.

The Lighthouse frigging atmospheric but I only got halfway. Bit too much spunk from the old guy and ruthless seagull murder from Edward but will still try and see the end.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:11 pm Why does Venom look like Spiderman though with the eyes?
In the movies it's not explained but the first person Venom bonded with in the comics was Spiderman.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, the way Venom looks doesn't really make sense in this wee Sony marvel monsterverse that's happening just now.

Still better than Spider-Man 3 though :lol:
An absolute unit