The Movie Thread

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Gavin »

Gwaredd wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:08 pm Bond

Bloody awesome. All the classic hallmarks are in there. Go see it.
Saw this last night and would concur.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Trying free guy at the moment. I'm not convinced I'll make it to the end...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:01 pm Trying free guy at the moment. I'm not convinced I'll make it to the end...
I think we're watching it at the same time. I quite enjoyed it.

Hardly going to set the world on fire but fun for what it is.

A good six surprising licensing deals out of ten.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I'm looking forward to the new Venom film - I enjoyed the first one a great deal.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:01 pm Trying free guy at the moment. I'm not convinced I'll make it to the end...
I really enjoyed this.

A great, fun film.

And Jodie Comer, who is just the most amazing thing.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

DaveE wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:28 pm
I really enjoyed this.

A great, fun film.

And Jodie Comer, who is just the most amazing thing.
i drifted off - it was just a noisy mess that I couldn't be arsed with! 😂
John

Post by John »

Gavin wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:25 am
Gwaredd wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:08 pm Bond

Bloody awesome. All the classic hallmarks are in there. Go see it.
Saw this last night and would concur.
I had high hopes for this after reading the five star reviews but thought it was just ok. No where near the best Bond film in my opinion and probably a bit too long. Ana de Armas played a great character although it would have been nice for her to have more involvement.

The bloke across the aisle from me fell asleep :lol:
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I thought Free Guy was pretty good fun and everyone loved it. I had no idea who the Youtube/Twitch cameos were but the kids did. I know its Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds, but he's just so watchable and yes, I might have a bit of a man crush on him.

I resorted to a cam version of Bond as I've been living in fear of spoilers. It must have been 10 years or so since I last watched a cam bootleg of a movie and, much like eBay, where's the sense of pride in your work gone? The guy filming this one sounded like he was eating a bag of popcorn while filming it and clearly had a raging cold too.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. Definitely didn't feel the run-time was long (but I guess I didn't have to sit through trailers or ads... apart from the ones mid-movie?! :o). I thought Craig was excellent.. he was showing his age but not a Moore View To A Kill Way - you knew he was too old for this shit so was slower but still had that brutal, lethal edge to him. The influence of Bourne is still there although I think that's a good thing. I thought some of the humour was a bit jarring, like the Ana de Armas character who was playing up the whole "its my first mission" before turning in to an absolute bad-ass. Not sure why they did that. The new 00-agent was very good.

Very good, satisfying character arcs for a few of them. I loved Rami Malek in Mr Robot but am still not sure if he's an amazing actor or a not-very-good-one. Was nice to see they ticked off all the villainous cliches though. Facial disfigurement ✅ proper Bond lair ✅

I also liked the call-backs in the soundtrack, dialogue and some neat touches through it

Edited: The girl wanted to see it while Mrs Mike was at placement last night and it confirmed I did really enjoy it. Soundtrack has been on repeat listening this morning.
Last edited by Ascender on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Just come back from seeing No Time To Die. I thought it was tremendous. Enjoyed every minute of it.

It made a nice change not to have really in your face product placement in a Bond movie. Only obvious thing was a Nokia phone. Plenty of JLR stuff and Aston but that's fine.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

We watched Old by your man M Knight Shymalamadingdong.

Utter horse shit.

I think it was an interesting premise, but was about an hour too long, had some of the most annoying camera-work I've seen in ages and some terribly unsubtle acting too.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I see that the eagerly awaited new version of Dune is now airing on HBO Max.

Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Dune (Part One) is epic. The sound mix and soundtrack are absolutely incredible and the cinematography is pretty amazing - there's a few sequences where everything just comes together and I was genuinely sitting in wonder, letting it all wash over me. Would like to see it on the biggest possible screen with an amazing sound system if I can.
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Saw Dune on an iMax on Fri night and yes, its very much worth the effort. My innards shook when "the voice" is used, for example. Beautifully shot, atmospheric, you find yourself drawn into the world eventually and forget you've got cramp. Worth reminding that this is a slow burner, not a flash bang Star Wars world. And its part1, as mentioned above, so don't go in expecting a nice clean ending..
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Watched Free Guy on Friday with my wife. I put it on after seeing a few people recommend it and my wife knew nothing about it at all. She enjoyed it despite not being a gamer (at least, not properly since the 8-bit era) and I thought it was really good. A nice concept, it reminded me of Ready Player One, The Lego Movie and GTA5 of course. I'd give it 8 bubblegum ice creams out of 10.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Barry wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:46 pm Saw Dune on an iMax on Fri night and yes, its very much worth the effort. My innards shook when "the voice" is used, for example. Beautifully shot, atmospheric, you find yourself drawn into the world eventually and forget you've got cramp. Worth reminding that this is a slow burner, not a flash bang Star Wars world. And its part1, as mentioned above, so don't go in expecting a nice clean ending..
Really?!

It's Part 1?

Oh well, not sure I'll bother now
Beany

Post by Beany »

DaveE wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:20 pm
Barry wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:46 pm Saw Dune on an iMax on Fri night and yes, its very much worth the effort. My innards shook when "the voice" is used, for example. Beautifully shot, atmospheric, you find yourself drawn into the world eventually and forget you've got cramp. Worth reminding that this is a slow burner, not a flash bang Star Wars world. And its part1, as mentioned above, so don't go in expecting a nice clean ending..
Really?!

It's Part 1?

Oh well, not sure I'll bother now
Bear in mind the Lynch version was a terrible mess (and yes, it was a terrible mess - and the only people who disagree on that are Lynch fanboys) because they tried to fit twice as much story into a similar runtime.

Having just finished it, I'd say they've picked up enough of the base story to make a good film, and because they've not tried to cram it, they've evened the pace out, so it ticks along at a decent lick without feeling too rushed, but it certainly doesn't outstay is welcome. It really didn't feel like two and a half hours.

Agree with other comments - nicely shot, typically high quality Zimmer soundtrack with some great use of sound generally (Little things like drums matching footsteps in one particular scene) and some other really good little details - the sand effects for the sandworms, the particular way they've done 'the voice' etc, the industrial design for the thopters being good enough to make them seem believable as an actual thing rather than a silly star wars esque craft, etc

There's just a lot to like here. For being 'unfilmable' Villeneuve has done one hell of a job, and absolutely deserves a sequel/completion*

Easily a seven out of ten and definitely worth a watch.

*Warner brothers agreed to do the film n two parts but haven't confirmed a release window for a second film, but apparently similar was done with the recent IT remake so presumably if Dune does well, which it deserves to, then we'll get the second part in a few years.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

They announced part 2 yesterday which is no surprise I guess after the reaction to part one. Its due in 2023.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Nice.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Just watched the new Bond. I thought it was good, had all the hallmarks of a classic Bond where most of the Daniel Craig ones haven't so I was pleased about that. Definitely the best DC one for me.
Spoiler
I was also delighted to see a him use a Vantage rather than the standard DB5 the whole time, and equally delighted to see the trusty Land Cruiser see off the obligatory new JLR products (JL would be delighted too I'm sure).
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

The Night House - spooky, disturbing, supernatural thriller with a great performance by Rebecca Hall. I thought it was really unsettling and interesting but fumbled the final section. Still worth watching though.

Lamb - Not entirely sure what I watched. Watch the trailer for yourselves to get the gist. I liked it... I think. Also not sure about the ending, even though I know not everything has to be wrapped-up definitively.
Cheers,

Mike.