The Movie Thread

DeskJockey

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by DeskJockey »

The Mitchells Vs The Machines

Family movie afternoon with popcorn viewing. It was very good and funny with a cornucopia of references to classic scenes, which added to the adult enjoyment.

Worth a watch.

8/10 evil tech assistants.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Watched Tenet in a bit of a post vaccination haze. Having had my expectations suitably lowered I didn't mind it. No sillier than a lot of Bond films.

The final battle sequence was incoherent though, just a huge bunch of anonymous combat clad people running backwards and forwards for ten minutes. Would've been far better had it been like the opening Opera operation.

I'll put as much further thought into the logic of it as I have on the invisible Aston Martin.

I had a good laugh when Demolition Man was one of the questions on The chase last night. Rewatched recently that movie still holds up!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

RobYob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:25 am Watched Tenet in a bit of a post vaccination haze. Having had my expectations suitably lowered I didn't mind it. No sillier than a lot of Bond films.

The final battle sequence was incoherent though, just a huge bunch of anonymous combat clad people running backwards and forwards for ten minutes. Would've been far better had it been like the opening Opera operation.

I'll put as much further thought into the logic of it as I have on the invisible Aston Martin.
my thoughts on it:

https://youtu.be/t23ZEKqGHzs
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Rich B wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 am
RobYob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:25 am Tenet
my thoughts on it:

https://youtu.be/t23ZEKqGHzs
Yup, all of that! :lol: Although the sound mix I got wasn't terrible, I heard most of the dialouge.
A few comedy bits like Backwards from Red Dwarf would've certainly improved the movie!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mortal Kombat

I quite enjoyed it. Not nearly as camp as the film it reboots but not without humour, good choreography/fights, although I doubt it'll blow anyone away.

A solid 6/10 - good effort, if it gets a sequel I'd not be disappointed.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, I also watched The Lighthouse, by the same guy who did The VVitch.

It was an experience, that's for sure. Hints of Lovecraft, great performances, and a very unsettling atmosphere.

8 gaslights (in all senses) out of ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Loved the lighthouse. Need to watch it again.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tenet - WTAF has just gone on??? There were some massive "Wooshes" as the plot kept streaking over my head like the red arrows.

Mind boggling bollocks!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Top Secret with Cal Kilmer, brain out silly comedy, brilliant :lol:

I remember watching it as a child and it still makes me titter.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:56 am Top Secret with Cal Kilmer, brain out silly comedy, brilliant :lol:

I remember watching it as a child and it still makes me titter.

Dave!
Good old Cal.

This scene is still locked in my memory banks decades after I saw it. Laughed for about 18mins.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Oxygene

The newest entry in Netflix’s cycle of decent low budget sci-fi movies.

Woman trapped in a box and drama ensues. Fairly derivative (it reminded me of a cross between two specific films) but it was entertaining.

Also didn’t realise that it was directed by Alexander Aja until the end. He directed a couple of my favourite horror movies from few years ago. Switchblade Romance and the hills have eyes remake.
An absolute unit
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Without Remorse

Amazon's attempt at doing something with a good book. It was very badly done with loads of WTFs uttered throughout. Bad script, poor dialogue and acting. Also think they messed about with some of the regular characters from the Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan universe.

2/10 Navy Seals.
---
tim

Post by tim »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:39 am Without Remorse

Amazon's attempt at doing something with a good book. It was very badly done with loads of WTFs uttered throughout. Bad script, poor dialogue and acting. Also think they messed about with some of the regular characters from the Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan universe.

2/10 Navy Seals.
I watched this turd of a film, 2 is generous!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

1/10 Navy Seals.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

tim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 pm

2/10 Navy Seals.
I watched this turd of a film, 2 is generous!
Noted. I've revised my rating.
---
Beany

Post by Beany »

I got around to watching Nobody, and quite enjoyed it. Yes, it's not dissimilar to John Wick, but takes itself a bit less seriously and with a bit more absurdity - it's slightly trashy fun and it knows it. Nice to see Christopher Lloyd can still enjoy himself in front of a camera, he steals most scenes he's in and looked like he had a whale of a time.

I'll say the team doing the special effects seem to have learned a lot since theJohn Wick stuff, too - the muzzle flashes and blood effects don't stand out nearly as much as they did then, so you can claim you're watching it for the technicals.

A very solid six out of ten. It's not exactly high art, but it's the best kind of high quality, violent popcorn fun.

Definitely worth a watch.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I watched The Conjuring last night and was very impressed by it. Some nice subtle scares and a generally unsettling atmosphere, was much better than I thought it would be. I know a lot of the spin-offs have been absolutely panned which is probably why I've never seen it before. Got the second one to watch tonight.

Not as tense as Host, but pretty damn good.
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:30 pm Mortal Kombat

I quite enjoyed it. Not nearly as camp as the film it reboots but not without humour, good choreography/fights, although I doubt it'll blow anyone away.

A solid 6/10 - good effort, if it gets a sequel I'd not be disappointed.
I'd even go to as far as 7/10. Decent action scenes, and the guy playing Kano absolutely carried the movie.

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Army of the Dead

It was alright, as usual with Snyder films it was too long and the tone was all over the place. Dave Bautista was as watchable as ever though and when the story was being lighter it was good fun. When it was good it felt like Zombieland
An absolute unit
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Cape Fear is on Netflix 😍