The Motorbikerist Thread

Barry

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by Barry »

I do miss my K8, it was a wonderful machine, and its still way more than most people need on the road. Unless I tracked it though, it would just feel like a waste.

My riding focus has shifted to slower adventures, down lanes and semi-off road, I'm done watching for speed limits and scamera vans.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Barry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm My riding focus has shifted to slower adventures, down lanes and semi-off road, I'm done watching for speed limits and scamera vans.
Yep, the slower exploring side of motorcycling is what I have immediately gravitated towards in my short time riding... Might be a self preservation thing too, as it hurts much less when I come flying off my bike at 10mph off road 😂
Oui, je suis un motard.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Mine left in the back of a van on Tuesday.

Possibly getting use of a Royal Enfield new model something or other but I’ll see how I feel.

Just not missed it really, I get the same affect I need from going up in the loft and playing with the trains :lol: . I think a big tourer may tempt me but only when I don’t feel guilty for disappearing for half a day etc as at the minute it’s hard to justify.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

There's something odd about having a bike to use if you want to. As soon as you don't you have to get another. I'm weird like that.

The k7 seems to hold its value well and even though the KTM experience was a bid to go slower I do enjoy the riding position of sports bikes.

Off roading requires fitness which makes it less appealing 😂
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:04 pm There's something odd about having a bike to use if you want to. As soon as you don't you have to get another. I'm weird like that.
The time I sold my RGV and used the cash to get the 325i, I lasted six months before I had to get another bike. I bought a cheap Bandit that was local, just so I had something to ride when the BMW was annoying me. It's the old "want what you can't have" thing innit. Can't ride a bike, so I want one. Get the bike, and it sits there all week..

I like to ride all day these days, regularly doing 250/300 miles pottering about, it's surprisingly hard work :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Kinda missed this season - my bike was booked for an mot in march and never made it - runs out end of this month, tried to book in with MOT place and they are only just going back to full days next week.

Did you order a new bike Baz? May have missed it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:38 pm Kinda missed this season - my bike was booked for an mot in march and never made it - runs out end of this month, tried to book in with MOT place and they are only just going back to full days next week.

Did you order a new bike Baz? May have missed it.
I had the MOT issue with the Civic, just managed to get it done and its highlighted more work it needs. Awesome.

I've got a deposit on the Tenere 700 Rally, due October assuming nothing else goes wrong in the world. I'll swap the TracerGT, fancy a change and I love the retro paint job.
mik

Post by mik »

Chatted to a bloke today who had stopped on his Norton Commando 750. He’s owned it just over 30yrs. It wasn’t mint but it wasn’t bad for an old thing. Said he had no interest in a modern bike as they are so fast....
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:19 pm Chatted to a bloke today who had stopped on his Norton Commando 750. He’s owned it just over 30yrs. It wasn’t mint but it wasn’t bad for an old thing. Said he had no interest in a modern bike as they are so fast....
I can see his point.

Same with cars, I can correct a slide but the unexpected jumping Infront of my car or bike will get smacked these days.
Barry

Post by Barry »

A Commando is still quick enough to get you into trouble tbh 😆

I had a couple hours plodding about the hills tonight, only did about fifty miles so you can work out the average speed. Was great, no stress and still fun in the bends when the late evening sunlight wasn't blinding me.
tim

Post by tim »

My R1250RT threw a Check Engine light at the weekend. I thought this was a reoccurence of the momentary fuel pump blip that did this back in June, but in any case I called BMW Emergency Services and had them take the bike away on Monday afternoon.

Turns out it wasn't the same issue, but the exhaust flap had failed, which since it's in the manifold resulted in two new shiny downpipes under warranty. They also did the service which was due, and BMW brought it back today. Annoying to have suffered another issue so soon after the last one (and almost 3 years on my R1200RT without any!) but you can't fault the service.

As a consequence I've been out and about on the S1000R this week. Mental thing that still excites and scares me in equal measure :)
mik

Post by mik »

:lol:

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

It runs but does it power the rock? :P
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

[mention]Barry[/mention] :D
Barry

Post by Barry »

Coaster1 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:57 pm @Barry :D
:x
Indeed, I collected my Tenere 700 Rally Edition today, in miserable weather. Shiny new bike is now filthy, but it looks better for it.. Took the long way home to avoid motorway slog on new tyres/brakes/engine, and first impressions are good. It's the underdog machine, enough power, solid handling, honest no frills, but makes you grin as you thump along. I'm having to short shift below 6k rpms for 600 miles of course, but it'll still sit at motorway speeds within that range so its no real hardship.
Praying for a dry day this weekend so I can point it at the Peak District and test it on those awful road (surfaces). I'll wait until I've got more seat time before risking any serious off road, as its a tall bike and I need to get used to putting a foot down etc.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes snake pass will be a nice test!

Love the new bike!

Sorn mine today.
mik

Post by mik »

This fred is pretty quiet since Rev left, but..... 225mph :shock:

Barry

Post by Barry »

Yeah, they've been breaking 200mph for a while but that's insane. :o

As for the thread being quiet, we've been on minimal bike use since last year really. I've got Monday booked off though, and weather looks good! I can't do Wales, but I can still spend the day in Cheshire.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:24 am Yeah, they've been breaking 200mph for a while but that's insane. :o

As for the thread being quiet, we've been on minimal bike use since last year really. I've got Monday booked off though, and weather looks good! I can't do Wales, but I can still spend the day in Cheshire.
Got mine motd and taxed ready for it to instantly drop to single figures and snow :lol: :lol:

Booked donington track evening in July, only 59 quids if anyone else fancies it look at msv quick before it goes up to 99.
https://bike.msvtrackdays.com/Calendar/ ... /5/Evening

Oh and you need a brake guard now for trackdays in the uk
Barry

Post by Barry »

I was going to let everyone get a track day out of their systems before I look at booking another, the state of riders on the roads at the moment hardly fills me with confidence!

Brake guard rule yeah, I'd better get some ordered before they sell out, come to think of it.