The Motorbikerist Thread

JLv3.0

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by JLv3.0 »

This is all very confusing.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:25 am This is all very confusing.
It is, and not a little concerning.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Didn't Tim recently say that they've changed their minds on teaching wrong side of the road ? Must admit I'll hang out on the centre line for left handers but rarely I'll cross it unless line of sight is clear and I'm just softening the bend off. I will sit on the wrong side to check an over take is clear though, having first checked there's nothing immediately coming, obviously.
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 am
mik wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 am I'm goimg to guess Rospa
Well, it’s my local RoSPA group teaching it so that’s what I’m trying to establish.
RoSP0wn3d? :?

A few years back a Rospa instructor dude suggested i should not bulk upshift (the VXR8 would quite happily do 1st to 3rd to 5th if pootling). I was a bit surprised at this advice and mentioned it to another instructor just one week later and he said b0ll0x - bulk shifting is good if the engine is flexible enough.
tim

Post by tim »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:28 am Was definitely offsiding, if that’s what it’s called. Frowned upon by whom?
Everybody concerned. RoSPA, even the Police don't teach it anymore. If you go over the white line (or virtual white line) to make a view, then I would suggest don't do it on your test. It's really bad practice.
tim

Post by tim »

Barry wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:44 am Didn't Tim recently say that they've changed their minds on teaching wrong side of the road ? Must admit I'll hang out on the centre line for left handers but rarely I'll cross it unless line of sight is clear and I'm just softening the bend off. I will sit on the wrong side to check an over take is clear though, having first checked there's nothing immediately coming, obviously.
This is exactly what you're supposed to do. Get out and have a look then go or abort as required, but cornering on the wrong side of the road - no no no no no.

Straight line a series of bends - yes - if the view is already there.

When you surprise someone coming the other way at speed, which way are they going to go? You don't know. The roads are too busy for this kind of thing now. 25 years ago we probably spent as much time on the "wrong" side of the road, and I ride with some old school retired Police who still do it but it's a disaster waiting to happen IMO.

I'm really surprised they've encouraged this Dave. Really.
mik

Post by mik »

Seb does it, but only with closed eyes.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:06 pm Seb does it, but only with closed eyes.
That’s the most important bit.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Now that I look, it’s not RoSPA I’ve joined, it’s Repsol Honda.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
tim

Post by tim »

I hear George is doing work experience as an IT Manager of some kind. This explains a lot.
Hates_

Post by Hates_ »

Been a while, but small update from me. Sold the 1290 SDR and picked up another 690 :)

NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Shame about the SD going but if you don’t get the opportunity to stretch its legs it does seem a bit pointless keeping it.

I really want to try a 790 Duke.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ragging small bikes is the future. And yes I do consider these small capacity, including my Street R.
Hates_

Post by Hates_ »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:21 pm Shame about the SD going but if you don’t get the opportunity to stretch its legs it does seem a bit pointless keeping it.
Yeah. No doubt that the engine is incredible, but I ride it at a fraction of what it's capable of. The chance to really open it rarely happens, where as the 690 I can wring the neck of all the time :D
evostick

Post by evostick »

I'm sure the 690 is great fun. Apart from the vibes, which I'm told have improved no end, my 640 was ace.

Big KTMs, like the BMWs and much else, are just too powerful and complex now. Seriously impressive but somehow missing the fun bit somehow.

At least that's what I keep telling myself anyway :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

One of the lads who was here but now back in the UK has just ordered a set of supermoto rims for his 701. He reckons even on dual-sport tyres it's fucking immense fun.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My day was better than yours*

*unless you’re Barry

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

That was just with the bike on its stand while you melted too? :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

It was a tad warm.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

My headache started as soon as we came back in from that last fun session. Showered and zonked on sofa now, a very hot day that..

Considering we were under instruction not to touch the brakes, and stick to two gears, the tyres were still pushed. A sensible way to give people spare brain capacity to concentrate on the classroom stuff, and keep speeds sensible.

Last edited by Barry on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.