The Motorbikerist Thread

Barry

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by Barry »

That's not bad value I guess, but I doubt I could fit an average motorcycle in there? Cost wise I do wonder if I'm better off with an SUV and bike trailer, a more comfortable vehicle for general use. Honda CRV for example, cheap and reliable.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Not sure if the ramp impacts anything
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I think the Idea is you put the front wheel between the front seats to make it work.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Sod that 😆 I'd want to take the adv bike too, no way that's going in. Probably going to wait the market out a while longer, everything's inflated at the moment.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Slightly larger Citroen Dispatch will fit in bigger bikes:

Oui, je suis un motard.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A couple of pics from last week

I'd like to go again to practice the long list of things that needed putting right :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Possible stupid question coming up.. are bikes going to become electric the same as cars? I can’t recall seeing any..
Barry

Post by Barry »

240PP wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm Possible stupid question coming up.. are bikes going to become electric the same as cars? I can’t recall seeing any..
Not as widespread but there's a few about, Energica, Zero, HD Livewire, and a few scooter/commuter types. Battery weight/charging speeds being an issue, due to packing options on bikes ofc.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Battery density needs to increase really, so the battery can be smaller in the chassis and likely less of the overall weight and still give a usable real world range.

You can wang a ton and a half of batteries in an SUV and use active suspension to mask the weight, but you can't really do that with 200kg of batteries on a bike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

That or the network just needs to get significantly better, and soon . My current EV has enough range that I can drive until I need a break, but I can't rely on the network being usable/available when I need to use it. Bikes with half the range again, will need a much better network before you could explore all day, as I enjoy doing
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I guess the plus points of bikes would be the smaller batteries would charge much quicker, plus you’re more likely to want a slightly longer break between stints to sit and have a drink, stretch the legs etc where as in a car I’d just have a piss, Chuck some petrol in and carry on for another 4 hours 🤣
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm a splash n dash type too, on the bike, but your average biker tends to sit around for hours, talking about their ally panniers/PCP/whatever :lol:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:36 pm Battery density needs to increase really, so the battery can be smaller in the chassis and likely less of the overall weight and still give a usable real world range.

You can wang a ton and a half of batteries in an SUV and use active suspension to mask the weight, but you can't really do that with 200kg of batteries on a bike.
Ironically you could probably get away with that on a Harley which is a heavy turd but they exist solely to make noise so it wouldn't work there either.
Seen some good looking electric bikes at various motorshows over the years but I'm not sure how good they are in reality, plus they must have passively cooled batteries to save weight so there's the whole Nissan Leaf style degradation and temperature issues.
Quite a few electric scooters in London these days, I'm not sure I really like them as a driver as they're so stealthy and silent. I can't say for certain that loud pipes save lives but they do make you aware long before you can see them when they're rolling up from behind a stream of cars.
How about not having a sig at all?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

https://www.harley-davidson.com/gb/en/m ... ewire.html

Harley livewire- page says 146 city miles, so probably 100mile range would be more accurate. Weight “in running order” is 251kg, which is ironically probably light for a Harley 😂
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

jamcg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:35 pm Weight “in running order” is 251kg, which is ironically probably light for a Harley rider.
True 😀
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:53 pm
jamcg wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:35 pm Weight “in running order” is 251kg, which is ironically probably light for a Harley rider.
True 😀
Real world range under 100 IMO, and that weight isn't bad considering :lol: Big ICE touring bikes are similarly porky.

Also, HD have dropped the name from Livewire and are making it a brand in of itself (ie distancing themselves from HD) and as a result can drop the price along with it:

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... price-drop

Zero are about the nearest real world "affordable" option currently, for a useful motorbike I mean (urban scooters not counted). Prices are still on the salty side though, and range still not good enough to tempt me. If anything I'm hoping to bump the EV car up to the next grade in the new year, that's more useful to me in general.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm sure electric bikes are really good. Lots of fun with bikes is the noise - no noise, less enjoyment.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’ll just have fake noise sent to your Bluetooth headphones like most modern cars 😀
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:16 am They’ll just have fake noise sent to your Bluetooth headphones like most modern cars 😀
I loved my golf so much for that feature :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Apparently electric motocross bikes are pretty good fun for beginners. All the fun of rallying around off road and as easy to ride as a scooter.
An absolute unit