The Motorbikerist Thread

Broccers

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:35 pm I was going to let everyone get a track day out of their systems before I look at booking another, the state of riders on the roads at the moment hardly fills me with confidence!

Brake guard rule yeah, I'd better get some ordered before they sell out, come to think of it.
I have some of these beauties coming https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402573928076

Must say I've not seen many bikes out. Went to Matlock in the car last Sunday evening around 6 and there was about 20 people there, ghost town. Might change now its Summer and being allowed out.
tim

Post by tim »

I've ridden my own bike once since December 12th, which is pretty depressing. At least I've got out on the Blood Bike a reasoanable amount to keep my eye in.

Really hoping I'll be able to take a ride through France again and visit my folks, been a long time since I've seen them.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Broccers wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:50 pm
Barry wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:35 pm I was going to let everyone get a track day out of their systems before I look at booking another, the state of riders on the roads at the moment hardly fills me with confidence!

Brake guard rule yeah, I'd better get some ordered before they sell out, come to think of it.
I have some of these beauties coming https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402573928076

Must say I've not seen many bikes out.
Went to Matlock in the car last Sunday evening around 6 and there was about 20 people there, ghost town. Might change now its Summer and being allowed out.
Saw quite a few biker groups out at the weekend...they must all be doing the same essential journey :lol:

I've been out on my bikes a limited amount. Will be out more as the weather improves 👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I've got today off, so I can have a ride round without guilt, finally. Still unable to go to Wales of course, but Cheshire is big enough for now.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I've been enjoying the nice weather by getting me bike stuck in the mud😂

Oui, je suis un motard.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mud doesn't obey the laws of physics 😂
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:16 pm Mud doesn't obey the laws of physics 😂
Did you get out Bazza? What a great couple of days to have off work!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 am
Barry wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:16 pm Mud doesn't obey the laws of physics 😂
Did you get out Bazza? What a great couple of days to have off work!
I had a local run at the weekend, then a good wander around Cheshire on Monday yeah, gave the T7 and Street and good run out. Sat in the garden with lunch now and thinking I should take advantage tonight too, before the colder weather returns this weekend.

Got the Street booked in for some new boots at Demon Tweeks next week, sticky M9RRs 😎👍
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Marv wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:55 pm I've been enjoying the nice weather by getting me bike stuck in the mud😂

:lol: 8-)
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

3 years ago I uprated the brakes on my gsxr so it would stop when I got round to taking it on a trackday. So 3 years to the month later I actually got round to it. Having taken my car around Donington in March it was certainly an eye opener to compare the two.

Well I've had this bike 13 years and to be fair hardly used it as have been too busy, rain and generally couldnt be arsed. The truth is on the road it's a flick of the wrist away from prison each time you are out. Actually being able to thrash the shit out of it without any fear other than Redgate appearing very quickly at 140 mph was refreshing.

Also had some instruction which was useful altho I had done Ron Haslams race school before so wasnt a total bike newb.

I can safely say I am hooked. Relatively cheap compared to cars too.

Buy a bike. Track it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just sold my track CBR600 :lol:

I do agree though, bikes can take the abuse much better, are more involving to hustle around a track, and mostly quicker in straight line for the thrillz.

I'll probably go back to the old plan of hiring a track bike/using track school for the time being, and maybe get another road sports bike if I get into it more. The non-road legal side of the track bike was a ballache for me.

On a GSXR related note, my old bike is back in the dealership, for more than I paid for it back in 2013! TWO GRAND more than my part-ex value back in 2018. :shock: If it weren't so much I'd buy it back, it's one of the few I miss.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm Just sold my track CBR600 :lol:

I do agree though, bikes can take the abuse much better, are more involving to hustle around a track, and mostly quicker in straight line for the thrillz.

I'll probably go back to the old plan of hiring a track bike/using track school for the time being, and maybe get another road sports bike if I get into it more. The non-road legal side of the track bike was a ballache for me.

On a GSXR related note, my old bike is back in the dealership, for more than I paid for it back in 2013! TWO GRAND more than my part-ex value back in 2018. :shock: If it weren't so much I'd buy it back, it's one of the few I miss.
Did you get a van Barry? Been looking and a lwb connect or caddy is like 6 or 7 grand for starters.

Gixxer prices are scary for k7/8s last of the analogue bikes. Not much gap to a 17 plate like just over 2k.

As for trackdays I wouldnt want to be in a higher group as they seem to be wanna be racers. Theres a lad in hospital on track day addicts who got rear ended the other day with no comeback at all. Its just tough.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

So, in a bit of a midlife crisis moment, in the grand scheme of things how difficult is the bike test?

In reality I’m a complete novice, I’ve not ridden a bike since riding my mates 50cc crosser around his garden approx 20 years ago. On the other hand my balance and spatial awareness, coordination and ability to learn new skills are pretty good.

Seen some places which offer 5 or 6 day packages including cbt and bike hire etc for around £800 ish, which sound pretty good on their websites, but obviously they’re trying to sell you their courses.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:19 am.

Seen some places which offer 5 or 6 day packages including cbt and bike hire etc for around £800 ish, which sound pretty good on their websites, but obviously they’re trying to sell you their courses.
Price sounds about right Ian. I've no idea what's involved these days tho. I think @Marv did his fairly recently and seems to be loving it.
Marv

Post by Marv »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:19 am So, in a bit of a midlife crisis moment, in the grand scheme of things how difficult is the bike test?

In reality I’m a complete novice, I’ve not ridden a bike since riding my mates 50cc crosser around his garden approx 20 years ago
. On the other hand my balance and spatial awareness, coordination and ability to learn new skills are pretty good.

Same as me mate.... before I did my CBT, I'd only wobbled across the driveway on my school friends scooter 21 years earlier, and quickly decided it's not for me!

£800 is probably around what I paid 3 years ago.

It's not too difficult. Though I don't think it's something I could breeze through without applying any effort...I did brush up on the highway code and took on the instructors advice and took it pretty seriously as I wanted to pass first time.
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I’d be taking it very seriously, not just for the fun of it.

Did you use your own kit or borrow theirs and wait until you passed before getting your own.

That’s another intimidating thing, walking into a bike shop to get kitted up as a 100% novice. I sure they’re completely used to it but still.. :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:26 pm
Barry wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 pm Just sold my track CBR600 :lol:

Did you get a van Barry? Been looking and a lwb connect or caddy is like 6 or 7 grand for starters.

Gixxer prices are scary for k7/8s last of the analogue bikes. Not much gap to a 17 plate like just over 2k.

As for trackdays I wouldnt want to be in a higher group as they seem to be wanna be racers. Theres a lad in hospital on track day addicts who got rear ended the other day with no comeback at all. Its just tough.
Van idea on hold as prices are daft, demand for camper conversions no doubt. Maybe next year, I like the crew cab Transit sized ones, good passenger space but still room in the back.

As for track days, I've been in novice last couple of times but I think I'd be better off in middle group now. Not looking to race people but most novice are really slow (duh).
Barry

Post by Barry »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:44 pm
That’s another intimidating thing, walking into a bike shop to get kitted up as a 100% novice. I sure they’re completely used to it but still.. :lol:
J&S warehouse type places are used to people coming in for complete kit, I wouldn't give it any concerns.

Get it done Harry, it's all the interesting parts of being a driving enthusiast, without the traffic issues 👍
Marv

Post by Marv »

I had my old motorcycle helmet that I bought for car trackdays, bought some cheap motorcycle gloves from Aldi and used my steel toe cap boots (which I wouldn't recommend, since subsequently learning that they're toe slicers, though alot of PPE boots now have a composite toe caps, which is fine)

Then I just borrowed trousers and a jacket from the riding school.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:36 pm

Van idea on hold as prices are daft, demand for camper conversions no doubt. Maybe next year, I like the crew cab Transit sized ones, good passenger space but still room in the back.
Disabled carrier with a ramp :D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224522365125 ... SwZn9fe1W3