The Motorbikerist Thread

evostick

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by evostick »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 am That ad has prompted a thought - So what do you do in terms of test-ride when buying/selling bikes privately? :?
I just pass judgement on the individual I'm dealing with. You can usually spot a cunt on the first communication with them and you need to trust your gut instinct.

If buying then I want to see them at their address and see some i.d. IIRC I've been allowed to test ride all but one of the bikes I've bought and the one I wasn't was in as new condition anyway so I wasn't worried about it.

I've let people test ride the ones I've sold but I've screened out a few potential buyers that didn't sound like decent people.

I haven't been stung yet. I don't buy/sell GSXR's though so I screen out most of the low-class criminal types that way.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I hate dealing with the great unwashed so I've tended to part-ex at dealers in the past few years, it costs more but I at least get some warranty/legal assurances.

Tim is quite correct though, it's pretty easy to spot the cvnts on first contact.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I bought my gsxr privately and went round the block on the back - what that actually demonstrated was its fucking horrible as a pillion and nothing more.

zx6 guy just rode it off after paying and that was that.

I did sell a bike once to the boyfriend of someone I knew who tried to bring it back after a few days saying it was broken - told him to f o - he's dead now of a drug overdose so you can tell the person he was.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

How is this for some drone flying? Impressed

mik

Post by mik »

Nice shots. Although they seem to be much more on-it when the view switches to the on-bike cameras.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Marv

Post by Marv »

...and positioning the bike on the road for best visibility.
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Enjoyed the bike show. I need to arrange test rides for the KTM Duke 890 R and Ducati Supersport S. I really like the Streetfighter V4S too, but that isn't going to happen.

I also want to borrow a fuck-massive Harley touring thing. I've no intention of owning one but I fancy a weekend away on one with the Mrs.

My eldest (14, 15 next month) wants a GSX-R125. He was delighted to find he could have a go of one under supervision on the MCIA TryRide thing.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:12 pm My eldest (14, 15 next month) wants a GSX-R125. He was delighted to find he could have a go of one under supervision on the MCIA TryRide thing.

😎

My nephew who is 15 next month too, showed no interest at all, when I offered him to ride around off road a little, on my 125!
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

The youth of today 🙄😉
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

I had my first proper go on a moped at 15, was hooked from there on.😎
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So I specced up a Ducati Supersport S to my liking. £17.5k. Yeah, no.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:14 am So I specced up a Ducati Supersport S to my liking. £17.5k. Yeah, no.
Bike prices are getting silly aren't they. As much as the Tenere has gone up, I'm still tempted as it's a relative bargain. Wigan Yamaha still advertising at the old price too, £8700 ISH.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

My KTM was eye wateringly expensive but just 18 months later it looks cheap.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Africa Twin started at £10k in 2016. Base 2020 model now £13k+ Full fat Sport DCT £18,500+

PCP is masking these increases, surely it can't sustain this price growth?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Thanks to Brexit, the Yen is worth nearly 40% more against the £ than it was in 2016 (£10k was just over 1m yen, now it's just over 1.4m yen).
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 pm Thanks to Brexit, the Yen is worth nearly 40% more against the £ than it was in 2016 (£10k was just over 1m yen, now it's just over 1.4m yen).
But hasn't the Euro followed the same downward trajectory against the Yen?

Anything north of 10k for what is essentially a toy seems too much for me. PCP on a bike just doesn't appeal.

Loving some of the new offerings though. Rocket III particularly.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

evostick wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:44 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 pm Thanks to Brexit, the Yen is worth nearly 40% more against the £ than it was in 2016 (£10k was just over 1m yen, now it's just over 1.4m yen).
But hasn't the Euro followed the same downward trajectory against the Yen?
Today: €10,000 = 1.2m yen
2016: €10,000 = 1.15m yen

So, no.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
tim

Post by tim »

I took and passed the RoSPA Advanced Tutor qualification today - good fun it was too, although it stretched my highway code knowledge a bit.

How are you getting along with you RoSPA training Dave?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

tim wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:01 pm I took and passed the RoSPA Advanced Tutor qualification today - good fun it was too, although it stretched my highway code knowledge a bit.

How are you getting along with you RoSPA training Dave?
The guy disappeared for a while, then popped up again asking if I still wanted training, saying his bike had been off the road with a holed rad. I honestly can’t be arsed. Didn’t feel I was learning much.
Middle-aged Dirtbag