The Motorbikerist Thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:24 pm Mike my bike journey was ar50, rd50 with a bore kit, rg125 with a power blank, then nothing until I did my test which was a 600 kwak with 100bhp. I had more fun on these than anything else and my aging k7 gsxr probably does 200 mph.
Thanks Broccers, a night of googling beckons 👍🏻
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

FZ/MT07 are a great little bike Mike, very friendly for beginners, good fun for experienced riders.

Get on, err tell your mate to get on with it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Every time this question is asked, the advice always says never be tempted to buy the same 500cc bike you did your test on no matter how much fun you had riding it.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:00 pm Every time this question is asked, the advice always says never be tempted to buy the same 500cc bike you did your test on no matter how much fun you had riding it.
In most cases I find that still stands, although I have known a few edges cases that prefer 500s (Marv for eg). They're perfectly capable machines as long as you aren't looking at crushing big miles in short times.

MT07 is a different thing, it's a pretty capable motor. My current "want" is this Tenere700, which uses the same motor. 72hp but plenty for road use.

Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Email sent to the local BMW Motorrad who are only a couple of miles from the house and seem to offer all the relevant courses...
Cheers,

Mike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:37 am Email sent to the local BMW Motorrad who are only a couple of miles from the house and seem to offer all the relevant courses...
Nice one, let us know how you get on!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:56 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:24 pm Mike my bike journey was ar50, rd50 with a bore kit, rg125 with a power blank, then nothing until I did my test which was a 600 kwak with 100bhp. I had more fun on these than anything else and my aging k7 gsxr probably does 200 mph.
Thanks Broccers, a night of googling beckons 👍🏻
No worries 👍
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Another stupid question...

Assuming I don’t hate the CBT course, I can’t do my DAS or theory test. Is there any merit to pickup up a 125cc bike, chucking L plates on and getting some experience or will that just be a waste of time and unnecessary expense?
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

A mate of mine got a brand new 125 to do his test on, passed it and then sold the bike at a massive loss as he was not happy riding with us or with stepping of a bigger bike he did his test on.

Up to you tho :lol:
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

😆

Yeah, I mean, i wouldn’t buy a new bike as that’s only going to end badly! Will need to have a look and see what’s out there, I kind of thought there might be a lot of 125s that get sold quickly after passing, but will have a look.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Some one with more knowledge than me will tell you if this is still the case you could get a big bike and have it restricted until you pass - quite a good idea to look at that then you arent just jumping on a large different bike :)

Edit scratch that as it seems to be different now. I'd just borrow the bikes. I did a 4 day course but then I wasnt a new rider.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 pm Some one with more knowledge than me will tell you if this is still the case you could get a big bike and have it restricted until you pass - quite a good idea to look at that then you arent just jumping on a large different bike :)

Edit scratch that as it seems to be different now. I'd just borrow the bikes. I did a 4 day course but then I wasnt a new rider.
Yeah, I’m definitely going to borrow the bikes, but it was more in case there’s a delay between CBT and DAS opening back up again - I’d rather have something to be using and practicing on although I guess that won’t help with the shock of a bigger bike.

Need to be patient....

While I wait for a call back about getting on a course, I’ve splashed out on a theory test book. Had forgotten all about that little part...
Cheers,

Mike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

I did my CBT whilst on my year off and bought a £1k 125, to ride when I was back in the country. Haven't got round to selling the 125 yet 😂

I probably wouldn't bother buying one, if you're determined to do the direct access course as soon as you can.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

This is brilliant 125 action.

Also makes a good point about being older and not 11 stone.
tim

Post by tim »

Off to France on the R1250 RT on Thursday - 650 miles to crack in one day so that'll be a good test of it and my arse!
Barry

Post by Barry »

I was all set to have a day on the Tracer today, found a nail in the rear. Put it back, got the Fazer out, a mile down the road I can hear a nasty screech noise at low speeds, I suspect a rear wheel bearing so I turned around. At this point I lost interest, and I was sweating in my kit after climbing all over it to locate the noise. Went to J&S to see if their "summer boots sale" was for real, place was rammed and no one even attempting to keep aisles clear.

Went home and took the wheel out of the Tracer just so I felt like I'd done something constructive.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I’ve now read the entire thread while I wait to be able to book my CBT. I’ve also got the theory test book and so far it looks like I’ve not forgotten too much about the Highway Code...

I’ve made notes from the thread and now have lots of acronyms to match to bikes - its like an IT seminar. Also some clothing suggestions which is good.

Bike-wise I’m liking the look of a KTM 390 for commuting (and touring, or would that be underpowered) and a sports bike from the long list of amazing looking pictures which I need to match to acronyms.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Lamb chop rides is a decent ch on youtubes

Good luck
mik

Post by mik »

Right - what’s the answer then?

Broccers