The Motorbikerist Thread

tim

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by tim »

Fuck. I've cancelled my order now. Thanks mate, you've saved me.

Rev - yeah every bike I've ridden with CC does that, the R is the most sensibly calibrated in that regard, ironically, as it's fucking bonkers in every other way. The RT lurches a bit (I prefer to tweak the clutch lever to cancel it instead whilst maintaining throttle) and my FJR service bike needs half a bloody turn almost.
tim

Post by tim »

Insurance... ffs.

Price to change policy to new bike was £NOPE. Cancelled it, got £21 back (they send a fucking cheque!!!), took out a new policy via a comparison site - WITH THE SAME INSURER - for about half.

Madness.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

One of my BFFs left here recently and moved back to the UK. Took his Raptor with him because reasons and was quoted a grand to insure it. He said that was a bit much and got asked how much he thought he should be paying :lol: - it's nuts! Is UK car insurance operated out of a Moroccan souq or something?

PS he got it for five hundred quid in the end from the same company that quoted a grand, but not after both a 'let me speak to my manager' and, my favourite, a 'ok but this price is only valid for this phonecall' 👍🏼
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

tim wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:12 am Insurance... ffs.

Price to change policy to new bike was £NOPE. Cancelled it, got £21 back (they send a fucking cheque!!!), took out a new policy via a comparison site - WITH THE SAME INSURER - for about half.

Madness.
Just had the same with pet insurance. M&S renewal came in massive and they wouldn't better it so I went on line and took out a new policy with them for less than I paid last year :roll: :roll:

Insurance is always a PITA
tim

Post by tim »

My S1000R is cheaper to insure than my R1250RT, despite the RT having one more year of NCB. It dunny make no sense.

I guess it's probably the value, but still.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Cruise on the Tracer is pretty good tbh, it cancels on brake or clutch but you can roll into an overtake and release and CC will restore nicely. It takes a determined movement on throttle to cancel it IME.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I never bothered using the CC on the KTM because I couldn’t work out why it randomly shut off. A 1301cc v-twin has quite a lot of engine braking at 90mph that seems even more violent when you’re not expecting it. At least now I know, I can avoid it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Whoops

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Broccers wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:41 am Whoops

A bit harsh is it not? 9 weeks inside!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Must have been priors surely? Otherwise 9 weeks for that is, if nothing else, a complete waste of tax payers money.
evostick

Post by evostick »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 am Must have been priors surely? Otherwise 9 weeks for that is, if nothing else, a complete waste of tax payers money.
9 weeks suspended for a year.

Wheelies are taken unduly seriously though for some reason. I think all relevant members of the constabulary should be made to ride a litre bike on a sunny day when they haven't had a shag for a week or two. They might be a little more understanding.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Should’ve gone to crown court and got himself a good barrister rather than pleading guilty at the mags. They should’ve been able to argue it down to driving without due care, at least.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

^^ Not sure if serious!?

If you're riding with one wheel off the ground then it's more than just 'careless' (as in 'oops, I made an error of judgement' but rather dangerous (as in, I can't stop, can't really steer, etc etc). Come on Rev, it's dangerous, plain and simple.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 am ^^ Not sure if serious!?

If you're riding with one wheel off the ground then it's more than just 'careless' (as in 'oops, I made an error of judgement' but rather dangerous (as in, I can't stop, can't really steer, etc etc). Come on Rev, it's dangerous, plain and simple.
thats not how “law” works Simon.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

“Dangerous driving” is a very loose definition but is treated very seriously. At a minimum it carries a 12 month ban and community service, which in all honesty is ridiculous for popping a wheelie.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

Enjoy the new bike, Tim 😎

How many miles did you put on your old one?
Oui, je suis un motard.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Whilst riding, how much can you hear with your helmet on? I’m wondering how close an emergency vehicle would have to be before you hear it.
Cheers,

Ian
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

IanF wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:45 pm Whilst riding, how much can you hear with your helmet on? I’m wondering how close an emergency vehicle would have to be before you hear it.
Vision more important than hearing. Many wear 👂 plugs. Your own exhaust should be of a certain volume so nobbers hear you as they don't see you.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

You can hear more than you can sat in your car with the stereo on, even with plugs in.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Saw this at the Revival, thought it looked cool. Can you bike experts tell me whether it's any good or the British equivalent of a Harley?