The Motorbikerist Thread

Barry

Re: The Motorbikerist Thread

Post by Barry »

There's only one thing for it, FIIIIGHT. Or another wobble round at 7/10ths trying our best not to drop the nice bikes 😁
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I intend to practice hanging off, so maybe no witnesses is better?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:52 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:27 amI'm amazed no one has invented cooled suits for use out there. It's not like there's a shortage of money.
I've seen various devices that purport to do this - cooling vests, skull caps, etc.

All of them are equally useless, frankly - at the end of the day, cooling is difficult and requires a lot of energy and equipment.
..................except...............I think I've found one that actually does something. It's a Macna Dry Evo Cool Vest and is really rather clever.

A lad I was out riding with the other day had one and my interest was piqued, resulting in making of purchasings today. You fill it with a pint of room-temp water and squidge it around inside until it's all spread out, then evaporation and cleverness does the rest.

Thin and light so it goes under any jacket, although needs mesh obviously for the airflow. But then who wears anything else when it's hot :lol:

Expensive but anything is worth a go here while the world's on fire until the end of September.

Of course it goes without saying that it makes you look a TAUC.
Interesting. Good to hear you've found something effective. Might have to get one myself, for when I start doing trips to hot counties...or the rare day it gets above 25c here 😆
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Great day at Three Sisters yesterday. I really need to sort my so-called track bike sorted out.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I thought the Gixxer was healthy Dave? (it is a Gixxer you have, isn't it).
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:01 pm I thought the Gixxer was healthy Dave? (it is a Gixxer you have, isn't it).
Yep, K1 750. It came back from its last outing (over a year ago) with a few issues:

- oil leak that I can’t trace. There’s oil all over the front of the engine, down the sides and dripping off the sump plug. I *think* it’s from the oil cooler but I’m not sure.

- Notch in the head bearings so they need replacing. I have all the bits.

- Electrical issues. After a couple of sessions it wouldn’t start off the button and needed bump starting. Also the clocks kept going off intermittently. The battery tested as ok so I suspect either the reg/rec, the stator or the alternator.

I got as far as stripping it down but haven’t found the enthusiasm to actually fix it.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Last track day pics, I promise.

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Much better pics than that bird managed 😂 Some nice angles too.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Barry wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm Much better pics than that bird managed 😂 Some nice angles too.
And these ones didn’t cost me anything!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Inspired by dole lad I took mine for a spin today.

I'm glad I got my bike set up for low down shove. Modern sports bike are toppy, no use.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Broccers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm Inspired by dole lad I took mine for a spin today.

I'm glad I got my bike set up for low down shove. Modern sports bike are toppy, no use.
Mine makes more torque at 4000rpm than the S1000R makes at its peak (9000rpm). Never drops below 80lb/ft.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Barry

Post by Barry »

Broccers wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm Inspired by dole lad I took mine for a spin today.

The Street Triple group on FB laughs at those of us that chose to buy the R over the RS. I just laugh it off. The R makes the same peak torque as the RS, but 2k rpms earlier. But I'm the idiot.. and the Brembos on mine are more than up to stopping it.

I like a buzzy top end but not at the expense of useful mid range.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Barry wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:48 am

The Street Triple group on FB laughs at those of us that chose to buy the R over the RS. I just laugh it off. The R makes the same peak torque as the RS, but 2k rpms earlier. But I'm the idiot.. and the Brembos on mine are more than up to stopping it.

I like a buzzy top end but not at the expense of useful mid range.
You're not :D

Riding on the roads mostly its better to have instant go just to get you out of trouble. I'm pretty sure mine never usually goes over 10k, as you know, that's well over 70 in first alone :)

Bank holiday weather is currently looking good !
Barry

Post by Barry »

Exactly, the R is intended as the road variant, the RS the track day biased model. But all the PCP boys have to get the "best" of course. It'll make zero difference on the road.

BH looking dry yeah, I've got family commitments till Sunday but I might get over to Anglesey to watch Thundersport on Sunday/Monday.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

So September is service time for all three bikes as the summer relents and it's time to start using them again.

I think I might be enjoying this less, the more of it I do :lol:

Super Tenere - I'm very much "on the spectrum" when it comes to following service schedules, and the book says replace the flexible brake and clutch lines after 4 years, which is now. OK cool, so a good excuse to fit braided lines and not worry about the rubber lines degrading again. Except this means removing the old flexible lines from the solid pipes, and they had all essentially welded themselves together. Had to order new solid pipes from the US and they've only just been shipped after placing the order two weeks back.

My S1000RR - nothing particularly noteworthy, just every single little thing on it was way more difficult than it should have been, and of course each time the belly pan and fairings come off, a tab or two breaks off and it needs ever more fettling to get back together. Anyway - done now.

Her S1000RR - can't quite face it yet 🤦‍♂️
tim

Post by tim »

The King is dead. Long live the King.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

y'wha'? :D
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

tim wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:24 pm The King is dead. Long live the King.
Bang on time, if you're referring to what I think you're referring to.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah is there a new purchase to divulge? I'm trying to think what the previous fleet was - S1000R, RT1200, 748? Can't see any of these being chopped in.

* popcorn *
mik

Post by mik »

You need to get twittery to understand JL. (If I am interpreting Tim’s abstract comment correctly...)