Shed thread

V8Granite

Re: Shed thread

Post by V8Granite »

Partly organised....

Camping shed, basically Tetris....

Garage ready for the car to be stored in there again. I’ve wired everything in but the indoor lights as I can’t decide how I want to do it yet. Only the de_humidifier needs to move to get the 500e in and open the door. It’s a deceptive picture.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Richard wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm Image

Mine is a bit sad compared
Aerobie's are awesome!!
dan

Post by dan »

I spent the whole day tidying my build room, its sort of a shed.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Mito Man wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 pm It’s too tidy :shock:
Helped by turning an old shoe rack into shelving
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Typical that the week that we start the roofing is when the jet stream decides to come right overhead. At least it didn’t rain.
Trusses all up

It was so windy that the concrete dust drove us nuts and we just ended up soaking the floor with PVA the day after

Most of the OSB sheeting applied yesterday

I pretty much spent all of yesterday evening and this afternoon pissing about with the front truss, I’m just not happy with the vertical supports and how to go about it. It looks fine from the front but side on you can see the 2x4 behind it which looks crap.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Finally decided on a design for the front
I think the build was at just over 3 weeks, if the roof arrived and we just clad it in normal cladding it would have been completed in a month. But at least it’s usable from this point onwards.

Had a few spruce logs left so milled them into waney cladding, think it looks alright, was going to do normal featherboard but was worried it would end up looking like a fence panel so went with this instead.

Made a bench out of old scraps of wood we had left and the cabinet doors are what remained from the BBQ which I cut up and turned the top half into a picnic table :lol:

Weather was quite stormy at the beginning of the week which conveniently brought down a pine tree so onto the wall it went along with a few windows.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I passed a house while out for a walk the other day and the owner had piled a load of stuff on his drive, including an old Mill Saw.

I knocked but there was no answer and, in the absence of a "Help yourself" sign, I didn't want to just take it. But I really really wanted it. however, never in the history of tools has a person needed one any less than I need a Mill Saw.

I need to stop watching Alaska: the Last Frontier. :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

My first shed. :)

Sadly don't have the time or nerve to do one myself, but the main thing is I can clear out the garage now!

Need to put up some shelving mind.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

I'm currently trying to figure out what the largest size shed I can get away with to house the last of the stuff that's in the garage (I'm tight for space at the back of the garage and I need to run power from there. The main sticking point is Mrs Delphi's insistence that we need the fridge-freezer that's currently in the garage. Many of the smaller sheds don't have doors large enough to fit it through.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Most sheds are pretty easily adaptable.

I just needed a cheap storeage shed but they all have really low ceilings. I just used a few bits of spare a ton and feather board to make some extensions under each panel so I could comfortably walk in and out of the door without having to duck which is handy when carrying stuff.

Most off the shelf shed doors are pretty flimsy and need some reinforcement anyway so wouldn't be much bother to adjust the opening then modify the door to suit.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I've got to get the bbq in there in winter so I chose the widened door option to give me a bit more wriggle room. If you go to a decent shed place they will have all the options you could want, double doors, 1.5 doors, different configurations etc.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I know I’ve mentioned it a few times, but here’s a few photos I’ve dug out to show the true horror that is the state of my shed....

As you can all imagine, given my ability to hoard cars, my ability to hoard bits for them is equally worrying. My main shed which is supposed to be a working area too had become so full I couldn’t get to anywhere to store anything or put anything away which meant the piles got worse and worse. Trying to step inside was a perilous task of stepping on stuff that seemed quite solid to get to a spot where you could get a foot on the floor.

A plan was hatched to at least get my tool cabinet nearer the door so when I’d used stuff I could put it back in its proper place afterwards.

First, golf rolled backwards onto the lawn. Next, fiat rolled forward to where golf was previously parked to clear the covered carport area in front of the shed door.

The contents of approx 1/3rd of the shed was piled up outside. Ie this much stuff...

Which allowed me to move these two chests from the far end to the near end

Those offcuts of wood and worktop were also discovered as part of the clear out.

This was the other side of the shed 😂

Some quick racks were made to give proper storage in my other shed at the end of the garden which was put up last year to put stuff I’d had to rescue from my late grandads barn, plus a small table which meant I could move quite a bit of stuff up there.

In the process I rediscovered my work surface, and could at least see my vice and bench grinder properly!

And as it stands at the moment, a couple of boxes on the floor to sort / store, and slowly working my way through numerous pots of bits, bolts, screws, clips etc so put them into some sort of logical order.

I can get in, have plenty of space to move, turn, get to the far end, pull out storage boxes etc. It really is a revelation.

I think it’s about three bin bags full so far and about half a wheelie bin of recycling. And have shifted stuff out of the garage and bits for the project cars which were stored in the project cars.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, in the worst throes of depression, I've lived in houses like that. It's bloody nice when you pull the old finger out and get on top of it, innit? :)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I think I would have a seizure if I had to find anything in there!!!

It’s like a treasure trove of odds and sods but no map to where those bits are.

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Honestly, never had a problem finding the things I wanted / needed. It was more the issue of being able to get to them 😂

I’m starting to think the new layout isn’t all that space efficient. I don’t need loads of space to walk around in it, I need space to put stuff! So might put a spacer behind the bench on the right to make it deep enough to use the bigger containers like I’ve used elsewhere. Should give a decent bump in space for stuff and a larger working area with no real downsides.

The plan is to keep the left hand bench for dirty work, bashing stuff, cutting / grinding and the right side for clean work. May also swap the single fluorescent tube for a couple of led strips.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Do you have a trolley when working on the cars ?

One thing I found I really liked was some fold out shelves. When the car was away the shelves were down as I wanted more parking space. When working though it was really nice to pop rooms on a shelf and not on the scuttle, floor etc.

Oh to be given a 50 square metre workshop and a limitless credit card!!

Dave!!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nope, all our parking is gravel so I just carry out what I want then sling it on a shelf or where ever I can find a space when I’m done.

If I was starting from fresh I’d have put a large four car garage at the end of the garden and just had a strip of gravel up the side for access and parking the dailies. At the moment you can’t see the garden from downstairs, it’s all cars and parking with the garden beyond.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

😂 proper evo house
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:51 pm

I can get in, have plenty of space to move, turn, get to the far end, pull out storage boxes etc. It really is a revelation.
:lol: Even in that tidied state it's making my teetch itch just looking at it

This makes me feel so much better about my shed/garage though :D
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Seeing that photo quoted by Mike has reminded me I need to get rid of about 8 spare wheels and tyres (I have a set for the Merc which I'm keeping, so have about a dozen in the garage currently). If I just scrapped them I'd be better off because they do take up a lot of space.