Shed thread

speedingfine

Re: Shed thread

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:52 pm
speedingfine wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:47 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 pm I’m currently shedless. It’s a sad state of affairs.
What happened to it, you didn't build it long ago IIRC?
i moved! I have big plans for a mega-shed in the current place. I have an 8mx8m area at the end of the garden earmarked for something epic evenumtually.
But what are you doing with the roof? And in fact, what has anyone else done with their roof and how long did it last? Hmm?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

32/1000 box profile is the answer according to a PH thread. Should I trust them though 😀
ste

Post by ste »

I've got a mid-grade felt on mine. They get torn and other damage by branches dropping on them. I just replace it every few years.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm I’ve been building one with my dad as a free time father son project for about 7 months now. Bloody sick of it now.
Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:26 pm I’ve been building one with my dad as a free time father son project for about 7 months now. Bloody sick of it now.
It’s done after close to a year :lol:

Will do a bit of a write up about it.

This was the ground, it needed to be widened quite a bit as there’s a steep hill just to the left
Making a big enough area took months as I was weak as shit. What you may see is that I drilled many of the boulders and split them manually with wedges to get into more moveable chunks.

Finally starting the actual build
Ground here is chalk with flint which binds up the auger and is a right bastard to get through. Seems like nothing is easy here.

As spring moves into summer we get some progress 8-)
The walls sit on hardwood decking, the floor is just ply so that it’s replaceable.

At this point my dad wanted a split level to aid roof construction and for storage but he wanted it to not look like an afterthought. As if the build wasn’t difficult enough.
Sorry Greta
2 broken backs later and it’s in place.
The building has close to 50 windows, probably took me a month of cutting frames and polycarbonate and all the trim that accompanies it :shock:

I don’t have any pics of the roofing process as it was just a tedious job of lifting OSB sheets :lol:
Put underlay and a metal roof

The buildings almost done at this point but we have 200 metres of fencing to do with a fence post every 2 metres and 3 gates :x
Used the rest of the tree for the main gate

Kudos to the Mule for moving every bit of material up there. By the end of it my back was as fecked as it’s suspension though

Electrics finally connected

Onto yesterday for the hay run
And the new residents

Phew.
How about not having a sig at all?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

Looks good Mito.. now just admit you took pics whilst the labourers were on tea break! 😂
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

You can see the seasons change in the pictures! To be fair it wasn’t too bad considering we worked on it every other weekend bar the odd week!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That’s an impressive shed and some very nice goats 8-)

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I’d love to do something like that with my dad...

Alas, we’d have killed each by the first tea break... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That's a cracking shed build! Handsome goats too.

Quick question for the experts.... What's the best way to insulate these things if you're planning a conversion in to an office of some sort? Looks like the frame has had standard rolls of insulation "wool" put in and then just normal plasterboard over the top. Which is f*cking baltic, but its a decent sized space so I'm keen to make more use of it next year as there's power in to it as well.
Cheers,

Mike.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:55 pm That's a cracking shed build! Handsome goats too.

Quick question for the experts.... What's the best way to insulate these things if you're planning a conversion in to an office of some sort? Looks like the frame has had standard rolls of insulation "wool" put in and then just normal plasterboard over the top. Which is f*cking baltic, but its a decent sized space so I'm keen to make more use of it next year as there's power in to it as well.
Once the solicitors have done their thing we should be into a new home in Jan and I have a very nice space to build a big shed/office so that will be my little project for 2020 (along with all the other stuff my wife tasks me with).
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Excellent work Mito (and dad). I now feel even more ashamed that I've still done nothing about ours since the felt blew off the roof weeks ago...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:55 pm That's a cracking shed build! Handsome goats too.

I don't know about the best way, when I did my wooden frame garage I used a breathable waterproof membrane on the outside of the studs, then clad with featherboard. Filled the inside of the studs with normal rock wool type insulation, then used a metallic bubble wrap insulation on the inside facing side of the studs, covered with 18mm chipboard 'tiles' which are designed for loft flooring but worked out good value, and I could transport them easily in the car.

Seems to have done the job.

I looked at the rigid insulated panels but they seemed silly expensive, but then I wasn't trying to keep it as warm as indoors.
Cheers, Harry
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:01 pm

I don't know about the best way, when I did my wooden frame garage I used a breathable waterproof membrane on the outside of the studs, then clad with featherboard. Filled the inside of the studs with normal rock wool type insulation, then used a metallic bubble wrap insulation on the inside facing side of the studs, covered with 18mm chipboard 'tiles' which are designed for loft flooring but worked out good value, and I could transport them easily in the car.

Seems to have done the job.

I looked at the rigid insulated panels but they seemed silly expensive, but then I wasn't trying to keep it as warm as indoors.
Thanks for that, will look in to it more. Ironically Mrs Mike bought some of that metallic bubble wrap for use in the garage but never got round to using it. I think it will be a case of ripping off the plasterboard, putting the bubble wrap up and then something else on top - maybe those chipboard tiles.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cheers, the goats were destined for slaughter but now we have a big space we can accept a lot more in so whenever the smallholder has a goat she doesn’t want we will adopt it. They’ll also do a good job of clearing the 30 degree bank filled with brambles.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Great work Mito and the goats are 8-)
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:35 am I’d love to do something like that with my dad...

Alas, we’d have killed each by the first tea break... :lol:
Doing something like that with your dad would undoubtedly kill him during the recycling process. ;)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Added a canopy a month ago, the recent warm weather means the goats are now using it as they’re not very heat tolerant and more geared for cold weather.

Started building another shed but I need to organise my pictures for it.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I would love to be building my planned shed and have loads of wood kicking about but need a concrete base and power so am kind a stuffed. Ideally big enough to have the bikes in and a usable space for buggering about with resin and scroll saw and what not.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Started another build although it goes back 2 years what with the planning.
The base was poured last year and then we built the goat shed so just left it.

Once we realised lockdown was a likely possibility my dad ordered a sawmill so we could try and make some bits of it ourselves.

After much spannering it worked

On Wednesday we could start to put up some walls as we had a timber delivery

All walls done by Friday

We also acquired a shop supervisor but he’s a right cock and gets in the way all the time :lol:

That’s about as far as it’s got, need to mill more logs for the top section and can then start the roof. Unsure about the cladding, if we just order some in or make our own.
mik

Post by mik »

Interested to see this. At some point in the not-too-distant I hope to build a shed approx 6m x 4m. Would rather build something sturdy myself (with sprogs) than pay someone, or go for a shipping container instead....