Driving in France

ShockDiamonds

Driving in France

Post by ShockDiamonds »

All the mags tell you that this is a nightmare these days. All my mates who have done France tell me the same. Don't exceed 160kph, don't even exceed 140kph if you want to avoid fines. Carry all manner of crap in your boot "coz it's the law" etc etc etc.

Did Calais to Paris and back - A26 and A4 on the way down, fancied the longer route, A1 from St Denis on the way back (we were at Disneyland Paris). Didn't see one fucking police car, and the cretinous French still blast past as if they've a sack of garlic welding the throttle to the bulkhead. Douane at the tollbooths were joined by Gendarmes, all of which looked bored fucking senseless. Is it all one big media whip to get us to slow down? Some of those A1 sections disappeared to vanishing point, and at 132kph were seriously dull.
Marv

Re: Driving in France

Post by Marv »

Same here, pretty much. I've driven in France almost every year in the past decade and haven't been hassled by the Gendarmes yet.

Though I do stick to around 130-140kph on the Autoroute and reserve to driving like a prat on deserted roads, mostly in the CANYONS.
Oui, je suis un motard.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

Best to stick below 140 on motorways, above 160 the Gendarme tell you to start walking instead of driving.
Also be carefull around towns. I collected 11 tickets on a 7 day roadtrip.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Got done at 171kph in the 'xige. Just a fine thankfully.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 am Got done at 171kph in the 'xige. Just a fine thankfully.
Ah interesting, as I was led to believe anybody going more than 160 was banned on the spot. Guess it also depends upon the mood of the copper on the day :) Anyway, 85mph on the speedo and around 133kph across the ground seemed fast enough.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Going to Brittany next month. 171kph is around 6k rpm so little chance of me doing that speed for long :D
tim

Post by tim »

You won't see police on the autoroutes much because they'll ping you from 2kms away using their laser device and send a pair of bikes out after you, or just get you at the toll if it's near. I travel through France 3/4 times a year and have only been pulled once (185 kms EUR70 on the spot fine).

Stick to 140 max on the autoroutes and nobody will bother you, neither will you set off the speed cameras. In 110 limits stick to 115 - the tolerance for flashing gets narrower as you go further south so 120 isn't a reliably "safe" speed.

DO NOT SPEED in urban areas. At all. It's 50 kph through every town/village from the place name signpost to the destriction sign as you leave.

Most of all - don't act like a rugger shirt wearing English tosser in France and you'll be just fine. Like most places.

It all changed about 10 years ago. Before that I was regularly doing long stretches of well over 160 kph. I remember following my folks back from their home to the port once and we averaged 102 mph for exactly 100 miles between stops, and they were driving a Mazda Premacy mpv shitheap :)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

tim wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:35 am
Most of all - don't act like a rugger shirt wearing English tosser in France and you'll be just fine. Like most places.
That's Shockers shit out of luck then, isn't it? ;)
An absolute unit
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Beat me to it :lol:
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I've just returned home from France too. We went down to Le Bugue & over a week did 2232 miles in the old Ahambra. In that time, I only saw one copper & he was on the opposite side of the carriageway. Pretty sure I got flashed by a speed camera on the N10 to Poitiers where it suddenly goes from 110 to 90, then immediately back up to 110, so I'll have to see how that pans out :roll:

TBH, I was probably distracted by a French driver that was following me 0.03mm from my rear bumper. They don't do stopping distances in France, do they :lol:

Anyway, aside from the cameras, yes. I suspect you could get away with some fairly high speeds on French roads. I too went expecting a flotilla of Gendarmes & random checkpoints along the way, but saw none.

On the plus side, by staying at a constant 110 on the way home, the old bus did just over 700 miles on a tank of fuel. Not bad for a 5-up, fully laden old jalopy.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Gwaredd wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:46 amTBH, I was probably distracted by a French driver that was following me 0.03mm from my rear bumper. They don't do stopping distances in France, do they :lol:
The one defining feature of the French is distraction, never more so than when driving.

I used to think they drove like that because they're aggressive; it's not true.

Further away than 0.03mm and he just won't see you.
tim

Post by tim »

That's true, they are horrific tailgaters!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I know! It took me a few days for me to realise they all drive the same way. Most shocking was an old lady who almost grazed my rear bumper when I pulled in, such were her lightning reflexes at getting back on the gas. I expected her to be glaring at me in anger as she went by, but no, she was nonchalantly humming away like it was the most normal thing in the World :lol:
Cheers.

Gwaredd
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

140kph is plenty enough with the family in the car to cover decent ground in France anyway and Tim is bang on the money with what he said.

I'm going in June to Disneyland and the Loire Valley and cannot wait. France is a fabulous place.
tim

Post by tim »

Oh and if you're heading to Paris, go the A16 route instead of the A26 from Calais - it literally is deserted almost all the time, and has the most spectacular view over Paris as you approach.

Much fewer services though.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tres bien monsieur! :D

Sanef tag for the auto routes FTW!!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

McSwede wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 am Tres bien monsieur! :D

Tag is essential when you're strapped in a Caterham :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

speedingfine wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am
McSwede wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 am Tres bien monsieur! :D

Tag is essential when you're strapped in a Caterham :lol:
An essential bit of kit for driving in France i'd say. You make up so much time driving straight through all the payagé barriers and not having to fanny around for change is a massive bonus.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, we had one for daring to Morzine last year - definitely worth having.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah I did hundreds of miles with cruise control set at 140kph with zero issues.

Agree with the comments on urban areas. Stuck at or slightly under limits
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…