Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

I've not, but I'll probably check it out this weekend.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:54 pm Drive to Survive . Jesus I always knew Horner was a whiny twat but this season has really exposed him for what he is. I always though Wolff could be ruthless but he came across far better.
i thought it was a massive cop out as a series tbh. They didn't dare do any discussion into the main event of the whole season. Disappointing.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:04 pm What we do in the shadows

Film and series.

Mockumentary about the boring, banal things that vampires do day to day (night to night). Both the movie and series rely less on the premise, which is a bit silly, and more on the actors involved, and as we're talking primarily Tahikata Weetabix in the film, and Matt Berry in the series, theres no problems there. Both have ensemble casts for the main characters, and both casts are genuinely impeccable in terms of delivery and timing.

There are some pretty bonkers cameos in the TV series too given its kinda-culty status. It's obvious that TW has a lot of love for the genre.

Everyone in the TV series is excellent, but Matt Berry really is a scene stealer extraordinaire among an entire cast of scene stealers.

And there is actually a coherent background plot/arc as well.

8 cries of BAT out of ten.

Looking forward to season 4.
blimey - late to my the party! The orgy episode is the best - though I still can't hear the word werewolfs without saying "not swearwolves"...!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

WWDITS series has been on my to watch list for a while, certainly the film was a good laugh.

Marvelous Mrs Maisel S4 still funny and excellent to watch with the better half.

Resident Alien S2 half way through, initially wasn't sure it would still work with the ongoing fish out of water theme, but Alan Tudyk still kills for physical comedy.

Adventure Time been watching this over the last year or so with the kids and we're about half way through the entire run. Looks like something meant for the under 5s but I can really see where it has gotten its cult following from. Endlessly creative and clever and very very very weird at times. Not a little dark either in underlying themes. Thoroughly enjoyable watch for a grown up with an excuse to act like a kid.

I was wondering whether drive to survive would be worth my time and if they're dodging the major issue with last season I don't think I'll bother.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Adventure Time is excellent
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

jamcg wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:03 pm
Have you tried the spin off following the police officers in the film? It’s called wellington paranormal and is great
Wellington Paranormal
It's great.

Actually feels like a very very local production in Wellington, made for people from Wellington, with lots of local landmarks and whatnot being put in, and a few sly jabs at what I assume are local customs, a bit like if a show set in Manchester took the mick out of Leeds for being on the wrong side of the Pennines, etc.

Quite light and quippy, mostly due to the main cast clearly getting on like a house on fire and working off each other, but in a subtle way.

Its kinda hard to describe in some ways, I guess if you like WWDITS you'll like this although I'd not say you need to watch and of that stuff to enjoy this - it stands up on its own quite well.

It's clearly well liked in NZ - for COVID, the NZ police authorised the cast and crew to do COVID guidance videos.

I'm not even joking, these are official from the real NZ police channel:

And yes, that's Clark Gayford, the NZ prime minister's bloke (who's done TV stuff before, but still):

And yes, that's Andrew Coster, the Commissioner of the NZ police:

So either NZ is really weird or they really love this show/cast/characters.

Seven deadpan, very 'on duty police' reactions to supernatural shenanigans or of ten.

Edit: even more bizarrely, Karen O'Leary wasn't an actor before the film, she was a primary school teacher and based on her and Mike Minogues short scenes in the film, they decided to do a spin off series - it was never planned that way. Not bad for a first timer!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Film and series.

Mockumentary about the boring, banal things that vampires do day to day (night to night). Both the movie and series rely less on the premise, which is a bit silly, and more on the actors involved, and as we're talking primarily Tahikata Weetabix in the film, and Matt Berry in the series, theres no problems there. Both have ensemble casts for the main characters, and both casts are genuinely impeccable in terms of delivery and timing.

There are some pretty bonkers cameos in the TV series too given its kinda-culty status. It's obvious that TW has a lot of love for the genre.

Everyone in the TV series is excellent, but Matt Berry really is a scene stealer extraordinaire among an entire cast of scene stealers.

Channel?
Beany

Post by Beany »

@Zonda_

The high seas?

BBC have it on iPlayer apparently?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... he-shadows

Wellington Paranormal is on Sky so presumably available on its respective online stuff (Sky Now or whatever?)
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:01 pm Peacemaker

Overall, genuinely enjoyable. Took a character who was really quite unlikeable as presented in Suicide Squad, and actually gives them some realistic (by comic book standards, natch) breadth and depth, all wrapped up in a quite funny, quite violent, well paced bit of TV surrounded by a well rounded, entertaining ensemble cast who really seemed to be exciting themselves.

Especially Freddy Stroma who plays vigilante, who seems to be loving every minute of time on screen playing an adorable, chummy, highly personable absolute psychopath.

A bit like The Boys, you don't need to be a comic book or DC nerd to enjoy this. I'm neither and it's just a good show.

Seven surprisingly good ends to a series of of ten.

It's been announced that season 2 is a go - the studio actually informally greenlit it weeks ago, but it's taken till yesterday for Gunn and Cena to agree they have some good ideas they can work with for S2, which is how it should be done...
I see this is debuting on Now TV on Monday - although I may have spoiled it for myself now by bingeing clips on youtube.
Beany

Post by Beany »

There's plenty of fun in there, I'd not be too fussed about spoilers; the journey is enjoyable with that show.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Mosley on Netflix

I haven’t got much interest in F1 or the history of it, it only caught my eye because of the news the other day, but this was a great documentary. I had no idea of his input on car safety, or that he drove in F1 for a short while. Covers the NOTW hooker thing too.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Made a belated start on MCU What if? with the kids, really enjoyable first episode, more fun packed into 30min than some of the movies. Hopefully the quality stays at that level.

For those of you with other halves apparently The Gilded Age is the new Downton Abbey. Relationship points can be accrued through the supply of copies thereof.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Watched the first episode of Moon Knight without knowing a single thing about it and thought it was really well done and quite unique, even though some of the "voices in the head" made me think of Venom. Can't wait for the next episode.
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

240PP wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:26 pm Mosley on Netflix

I haven’t got much interest in F1 or the history of it, it only caught my eye because of the news the other day, but this was a great documentary. I had no idea of his input on car safety, or that he drove in F1 for a short while. Covers the NOTW hooker thing too.
Does it cover the whole blackshirt era and his campaign against press freedom so that he could try and eradicate his history?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:23 am

Film and series.

Channel?
It's all on iplayer. As are all of the Toast of London series and Toast of Tinseltown.

I'd also recommend Year of the Rabbit on All4 - another Matt Berry thing. In fact, I thought it was at least as good as WWDITS.

Has anyone watched both Toast of Tinseltown and Book of Boba Fett? I love that link between the two!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:25 am
jamcg wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:03 pm
Have you tried the spin off following the police officers in the film? It’s called wellington paranormal and is great
Wellington Paranormal
It's great.
I really want to watch this but it's only on Sky isn't it?

See also the recent Taika Waititi and Rhys Darby series Our Flag Means Death - not sure what that's on in the UK
Beany

Post by Beany »

It might be on now TV, dunno if you can get a month of that and binge it?

Or sail on the high seas....
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:49 am It might be on now TV, dunno if you can get a month of that and binge it?

Or sail on the high seas....
We had to take to the high seas for both of those, the irony of which isn't lost on me.

They're both great fun.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:14 am
Zonda_ wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:23 am

Film and series.

Channel?
It's all on iplayer. As are all of the Toast of London series and Toast of Tinseltown.

I'd also recommend Year of the Rabbit on All4 - another Matt Berry thing. In fact, I thought it was at least as good as WWDITS.

Has anyone watched both Toast of Tinseltown and Book of Boba Fett? I love that link between the two!
Thanks, I found the film on Amazon video but the TV series has to be paid for.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Last Mountain

Documentary about the life and unfortunate death of Tom Ballard on Nanga Parbat - Ballard was the son of Alison Hargraves who herself died on K2.

This is a very interesting but utterly bleak piece. The father's notoriously cold and this is evident in some of his interactions with his surviving daughter who is central to this documentary. There is also a fairly obvious agenda against Ballard's Italian Climbing partner, suggesting he was manipulating the younger, far better climber get a first ascent on a route just about everyone calls Suicidal.

The only lightness comes form her re-uniting with "Big Ibrahim", the porter who carried her as a child in 1995 on a pilgrimage to K2 after her mother died. He accompanies her to pay a similar tribute to her Brother.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…