Decent Recent TV

Coaster1

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Coaster1 »

New car show with Tiff Needell on ITV4, ‘On the Road’.

Available on ITV hub app.

https://www.itv.com/hub/on-the-road/10a0443
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Matty wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 pm Started watching Queen's Gambit on Netflix.

Chess, drugs and alcohol.
Just had to binge the last three episodes. Excellent series, even though I felt I knew what was going to happen it was fantastically done.
Left over crest; tightens.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

First episode of the new series of Star Trek Discovery is very promising for the rest of the season. :)
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 am First episode of the new series of Star Trek Discovery is very promising for the rest of the season. :)
It's watchable but it's definitely going downhill.

The Mandalorian is very good. Has a definite old school Western feel about it, but in the Star Wars universe.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I've kind of enjoyed the Mandalorian, but it's basically the A Team/Knightrider/etc in space - a bit weak because of the nicely wrapped up "good guy wins" type weekly stories. The fight scenes are surprisingly good - I like the way he's always taking hits from storm troopers rather than every shot hitting the background!

It could do with a bit of a nudge on story wise with the whole baby yoda thing though - he's just awkwardly sitting there now rather than being part of the plot.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've not caught up with Discovery or The Mandalorian yet, I'll probably wait until the seasons are finished.

Watched all of Line of Duty over the last week or so. It's pretty decent, got a bit silly in places with the long conspiracy storyline but I really liked it overall.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I love pretty much everything about The Mandalorian. Each episode is a perfect length, tightly scripted and I love how they're expanding on Star Wars in a fun way with some great nods to the originals without being really ham fisted about it or trying to please everyone like they did with the recent movies. The Western-influence is really well done and even the "filler" episodes are just so much fun that I really don't care if the main plots about finding the Jedi and other Mandalorians aren't moving on at-pace.

Its also made me think about watching The Clone Wars given the characters that are now popping-up in this one, but there's a hell of a lot of those to get through!
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Clone Wars doesn't start that well but the last few seasons are amazing. The last season that went straight onto Disney+ is some of my favourite TV from this year.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:31 am The Clone Wars doesn't start that well but the last few seasons are amazing. The last season that went straight onto Disney+ is some of my favourite TV from this year.
That's good to know, I'll add it to the watch list for the Christmas break.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, I've heard similar things about Clone Wars. I did a bit of googling on the background to mandalorian stuff last year for S1 and the stuff that popped in this week was covered in some of that, so it's genuinely nice to see them taking other canon bits and slipping them in. You know, in a manner that's actually cohesive and feels like it makes sense.

Unlike, say, shoehorning R2D2 and C3PO into every mainline film because they have toys to sell, etc.

It's not groundbreaking stuff, but it's enjoyable, well paced, and nicely done. Better than a lot of telly these days.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm enjoying The Mandalorian.

Also started The Boys, I like the alternate superhero universe. The series has promise.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Boys is tons of fun. Karl Urban is especially a treat.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:48 pm I'm enjoying The Mandalorian.

Also started The Boys, I like the alternate superhero universe. The series has promise.
The Boys is excellent. Can't wait for season 3.

I've also been watching Schitt's Creek which is very good, but it took a fair few episodes to get into.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Delphi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:48 pm I'm enjoying The Mandalorian.

The Boys is excellent. Can't wait for season 3.

I've also been watching Schitt's Creek which is very good, but it took a fair few episodes to get into.
Stay with the creek. As per an earlier post it is some of the best TV I've ever watched.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I finished Schitt's Creek a few weeks ago. It's excellent.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JonMad wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:29 pm
Matty wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 pm Started watching Queen's Gambit on Netflix.

Chess, drugs and alcohol.
Just had to binge the last three episodes. Excellent series, even though I felt I knew what was going to happen it was fantastically done.
I've watched maybe 5-6 episodes, it started really well - the first episode was particularly good, but it's just turned a bit dull. Not sure if I'll carry on.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 am I love pretty much everything about The Mandalorian. Each episode is a perfect length, tightly scripted and I love how they're expanding on Star Wars in a fun way with some great nods to the originals without being really ham fisted about it or trying to please everyone like they did with the recent movies. The Western-influence is really well done and even the "filler" episodes are just so much fun that I really don't care if the main plots about finding the Jedi and other Mandalorians aren't moving on at-pace.
+1 on all of that - soundtrack is really well done too.

Some of the episodes are better than others but the scriptwriters seem to be a revolving pool so that would make sense.

You're probably right that they are best kept short - though that means I've tended to binge watch 3 or 4 in a session and I'm all caught up now... :(
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Upload

9 over-controlling VR girlfriends out of 10.
Left over crest; tightens.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

The Right Stuff
TV series on National Geographic, based on the Tom Wolfe book and film.
Not much new material. But because they have some more time, the story goes slightly deeper into the politics and home life of the astronauts.
In all not bad, but certainly not fantastic.
Loved the book. Liked the book better than the film and the film better than the TV series.