Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 pm His obituary was cheap cause it was only 14 words.
I see what you did there :lol:
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Just finishing up The Haunting of Bly Manor.

V. Good 8.5 lesbo's out of 10.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Tonight at 10pm Comedy Central

South Park Pandemic Special 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Last Leg is back, and seems to worked reasonably well even without the studio audience.

Raised by Wolves good slow build of weird Sci-Fi colonisation and war happens for first nine episodes. Then episode ten Yolos another season's worth of weirdness in and pretty much killed my interest.

Which is a damn shame because up until that point it had some excellent moments and outstanding performances.

On reflection though it's still not as stupid as Prometheus or Alien:Covenant so maybe Ridley Scott is making progress.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ah, I was quite looking forward to getting around to watching Raised By Wolves. Is it shark-jumping or just 'oh shit we need to prep for a new series' type mood shift?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It was fairly chock of weird stuff already, but for me still on the good side of willing suspension of disbelief. Then they doubled it.
Enjoy the first nine episodes, then get properly smashed before 10 and it might be palatable.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Finished the latest series of Ghosts on BBC, good entertainment with a lot of the team from Horrible Histories, shame there's only six episodes per season.

Still working on S2 of The Boys but when combined with catching up on the old achive of Inside No9 this results in about the same ammount of psychological trauma as a Black Mirror...

If anyone has an interest in a humourous analysis of advertising, ABC Australia shows Gruen with a panel of advertising execs and a comedian host. Although a lot of the ad content is Aussie the analysis thereof applies almost everywhere. Easily found on r/panelshow and highly recommended.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Quite enjoying Truth Seekers on Amazon. Nick Frost (+Simon Pegg cameos) does X-files+funny. Sometimes an uncomfortable mix of gags and creepy shit but each episode is short enough so as nothing really bogs down.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Mr Inberween

A dodgy ozzie Ray Donovan type geezer also called Ray. Worth a watch if you like that kinda thing. Violent.

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Saw mention of Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Watched the first one so far. An excellent opening.
Left over crest; tightens.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Still not watched Raised By Wolves. Got distracted by anime. Watched all of Attack on Titan (to date) last week which was fun, and Trigun, which is always entertaining.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I rewatched Dexter following the news that its coming back for a short run to try and give it a satisfying ending. I strongly recommend you do the same, especially if you've not seen it.

But for the love of god, just stop at the end of season 5. There's three more seasons to get through, but apart from the odd highlight, everything that the show has been building towards will be treated with utter disdain. Those characters you love? They'll start behaving like idiots to move the plot forward while the writers have run out of ideas and start doing some lame greatest hits Dexter tribute act. When you get to the end of season 5, just make up your own ending to the show and wait to see what happens next year. I'm sure there will be a short "previously on Dexter" intro to the new series which will be much less painful than having to watch the final three utter dog shit seasons for yourself.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:30 pm Raised by Wolves good slow build of weird Sci-Fi colonisation and war happens for first nine episodes. Then episode ten Yolos another season's worth of weirdness in and pretty much killed my interest.
I dunno, a fair bit of it was telegraphed to an extent, although it was telegraphed in a fairly obscure manner so it kinda doesn't count. I didn't exactly see the end coming, but I wasn't entirely knocked for six by it.

Pretty good overall I'd say, if they get renewed hopefully they'll actually expand on the story so that it makes a bit more sense; to say it was left open ended would be an understatement. Felt more like a mid season cliffhanger.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

JonMad wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:24 am An excellent opening.
:lol:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Beany

Post by Beany »

Just started on Lovecraft Country.

Quite enjoying it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Just finished Schitt's Creek with the behind-the-scenes documentary.

It is right up there among the very best TV I've ever watched.

There was more than one tear shed during the finale and documentary.

Highly recommended

9.9 wigs out of 10.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:01 pm I rewatched Dexter following the news that its coming back for a short run to try and give it a satisfying ending. I strongly recommend you do the same, especially if you've not seen it.

Most people agree that it was after S4 where it went wrong, but I did enjoy S7 with Ray Stevenson, he was excellent.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Started watching Queen's Gambit on Netflix.

Chess, drugs and alcohol.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 am Just started on Lovecraft Country.

Quite enjoying it.
Finished this last night, and really rather enjoyed it.

Plenty spoopy, well shot, ticks along at a decent rate, and a bit of an eye opener in terms of racial inequality in the US in the Jim Crow times, but not in a way that feels thrown in your face or mawkish. I genuinely didn't know that Sundown Towns were a thing, for example. That's, er, uncomfortable. :?

It's all to service the story and present a universe however, so it doesn't feel as on the nose and basic as something like Black Panther, in respect to cultural representation. It's not at the expense of it feeling like the characters are behaving unbelievably to situations (Jim crow monsters, or just flat out monsters). It's quite strange to see Lovecraftian themes being explored alongside the seedier sides of how the US dealt with african americans back in the day, but it absolutely works. Especially given that Lovecrafts 'fear of the other' was notoriously based on racism itself - being afraid of the real 'other'.

Proper entertaining stuff, and well worth a look if you like your horror to be violent and matter of fact.

It also has Terence K Williams (AKA Omar from The Wire) and he's always worth watching.

A solid 7 beheadings by a too-many-eyed horror from beneath out of 10.

Also shout out for some good stunt driving in the first episode.