Decent Recent TV

Shlergen

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Shlergen »

Arcane on Netflix. Really enjoying - animated but beautifully done, not a cheap production. Enjoying story line so far, recommend.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Found Legion on Disney Plus. Marvel comic thing done by the Fargo guy, Noah Hawley years ago. Midway through season one and it's bizarre and excellent stuff as usual from him 👍
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Legion was freaking weird, but we enjoyed Series 1 and then completely forgot about it.

Wheel of Time hmmmm not as slick as I was hoping for at least in episode 1. They seemed in a rush to epositionise EVERYTHING rather than just let the story start naturally. I read the book THIRTY :shock: years ago so have no idea how closely it's sticking to the story.

Gruen an Aussie series we absolutely love that is a light hearted discussion on advertising with industry experts. Sounds terrible but is fantastic/informative. Recently gained some international news by Joe Rogan completely missing the joke on their weekly competitive segment called The Pitch (selling the (nearly) unsellable)

Another fun Pitch, will appeal to (some) parents :lol:

Find through the usual hive of scum and villany or reddit.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I loved Legion, we're going to binge it now that's it's on Disney+ as it gets very weird and it might be easier to follow all in one.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Got four episodes into Hellbound last night, and it's quite enjoyable and interesting, and a bit dark.

Korean but has a passable English dub.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I'll have to check Legion out.

I still have The Leftovers to watch which gets great recommendations as one of those brilliant shows which was overlooked at the time.

Still enjoying new Dexter much more than I thought I would
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Beany wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:34 pm Got four episodes into Hellbound last night, and it's quite enjoyable and interesting, and a bit dark.

Korean but has a passable English dub.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
I really enjoyed this. Despite the supernatural overtones, the horror in this show is very grounded, very brutal, and based around real fears which makes it very effective.

The general premise of the show (about human responsibility, very adult fears, sin, guilt and it's interpretation and manipulation) is simple and effectively played with, and it must be a cultural thing because I can't imagine a Western production company coming up with something like this and not making a pigs ear of it.

Technically it's decently shot, the fight scenes are very well done (keeping the somewhat gritty feel of the rest of the show), pacing is nice and even, with good chunks of story progression and a nice little cliffhanger for the next episode each time, something I couldn't really say of Foundation for example, which feels a bit woolier in that respect.

My only real complaints are is that the dub is a bit middling, and I'd rather if they'd pushed to, say, eight or ten episodes and closed the story off, rather than leave breadcrumbs for a second season.

Although to be fair, it's definitely worth a second season. I'm genuinely disappointed there doesn't appear to be much about the backstory/lore etc online in English, it's almost like being back in pre-internet days where you have to think for yourself for a change :lol:

Seven savage, bloody beatings of sinners by 'angels' out of ten and I'd recommend checking it out.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Arcane is really impressive. No idea on the lore, but the animation continues to impress. Incredibly well done.

Legion was a bit tooo wierd for me. I watched and enjoyed (at least I think I did) the first season, but only managed a few of season 2 before giving up.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

The latest series of American Horror Story was quite good. They always seem to run out of steam near the end, but this time they had split the series in two, with entirely different stories both of which were pretty damn good.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:16 pm I'm binge watching Parks and Recreation - half way through series 4. It really is brilliant.
Just finished the whole thing... Brilliant comedy...but...

They should have stopped at Series 6 - Series 7 is just like the Christmas Specials of Only fools and Horses - yes most of the characters are there but it's very forced... and seems to exist in some weird parallel future with Holographic Phones. Not very well written.

IF you've never watched and plan to, don't go on past the end of Series 6 because it will somewhat spoil it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Queen of Speed on Sky Documentaries.

Really good profile of Michele Mouton, focusing on her 1982 WRC battle with Walter Rohl. I knew she came close but didn’t know her father died on the morning of the penultimate race in The Ivory Coast. Had she finished, she would have won

When you see the names of the guys she was beating - Ari Vatanen, Stig Blomquist, Hanu Mikola, Henri Toinoven, Tony Pond - she really was great. The fact that no women has come close in the near 40 years since shows what an awesome driver she was.

Thoroughly recommend checking it out
Last edited by dinny_g on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Shlergen wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:53 pm Arcane on Netflix. Really enjoying - animated but beautifully done, not a cheap production. Enjoying story line so far, recommend.
I have a genuine negative interest in League of Legends (too many people nerding out over it around me turned me off it entirely) but that was a good little series. If you watch the opening episode, don't worry, it's not a tween drama all the way through, it gets more interesting.

I have no idea what lore they were using, and I don't care - they got a good screen play out of it, and executed it well in an engaging way. while it's generally very visually interesting (more CGI than animation, but done well), they also take the very occasional stylistic sideways jump for some scenes, and it's done nicely.

Absolutely deserves a second series, the production team clearly have a knack for this and should definitely have money chucked at them to carry it on.

Seven teen girls using Gatling guns out of ten.

I'd say if you want to watch recent Netflix stuff, this and Hellbound should be top of your list, they are both very good. Neither will turn your views of the world on your head, but as a cynical fucker, even I'll say they'll at worst be an entertaining use of your spare time.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/guys-garage

Really enjoyed this. First episode Guy builds and races a Volvo estate in Sweden 👍
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Thanks for the reminder about Guy Martin @speedingfine, I'd seen an advert for this and then totally forgotten about it.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

14 Peaks - Nothing is Impossible on Netflix

“Nepali mountaineer Nimsdai Purja embarks on a seemingly impossible quest to summit all 14 of the world's 8,000-meter peaks in seven months.”

In the end, he took 6 months and 6 Days :shock: 8-)

As a feat, this beggars belief. Messner took 14 years ffs. The previous fastest was 7 years 11 months

The climbing nerd in me would liked to have more detail on the actual feat. Which ones were done fast by retaining acclimatisation and how many were slower etc. I’d watch a 14 episode series with one for each mountain.

But the footage is brilliant - well worth checking out
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Its Always Sunny is back for Season 15 bitches.
Cheers,

Mike.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Cheers for that recommendation Dinny, incredible stuff 😳
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

👍🏻
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

You don't know me

4 episodes bbc iPlayer

Brilliant.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Final season of The Expanse starts on Amazon today....
Cheers,

Mike.