Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

I'm trying to work out how the Borg now exist in earlier timelines like TNG.

Unless there were two Borg collectives or some other contrived bollocks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I figure that Jurati Borg Queen didn’t go to the delta quadrant and just did their own thing. The original Borg would have developed the same way as in TNG/Voyager.

ETA following causality, if Jurati had interfered with the development of the Borg it would have jeopardised her own creation.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

So, contrived bollocks.

A bit like Q claiming to be Picards lovey dovey best friend just trying to let him live his Best Life, despite repeatedly trying very heard to get Soong to kill him.

It's just badly thought out trash written by someone who doesn't know what Memory Alpha is, or did know and decided that existing well documented character behaviour and motivations are for losers and nerds.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not really, I didn’t think anyone acted particularly out of character and ST has always been pretty fluid with it’s rules about time travel and the effects.

Some people just like to moan though 😉
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

I just found it to be boring, dull and confusing.

Which is kinda ironic as I watched TNG for the first time a few years ago, and it should theoretically be dull and confusing - christ knows the first series is a bit slow. :lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I admittedly didn’t think it was as good as the first season and the whole time travel plot was convoluted but as someone who watches TNG and Voyager repeatedly, it’s just nice to see characters I like doing new stuff.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Derry Girls Finale

Really enjoyed the last two. Very poignant ending to it all. I do hope they leave it there now
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Halo

I didn't mind that at all. I've never played the games beyond playing the first one and finding it incredibly boring after years of 'hardcore' playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (two weapon limit? No manual aiming? Oh dear, how shit) so never got into it, and I happily consider those who espouse it as the Pinnacle of Gaming as blithering imbeciles. Yeah, suck it, you have no standards.

The series has pretty engaging characters and actors (Pablo Schreiber is always worth a watch), a decent wee story and some pretty good action set pieces, although fewer than you might expect. It also has one bad episode that could have literally been left out entirely and no one would have cared. Actually that entire arc could have been trimmed I suppose...

It's not The Expanse, but by Christ is not Picard.

A solid, and good 6/10 - if you like the sci fi genre you'll probably enjoy it.

I suspect game fans will be upset that thier hyper masculine penis substitute Master Chef had been given, God forbid, some character and pathos, though. Boo hoo.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Prehistoric Planet

Imagine the BBC Nature production team were sitting around, and Apple burst into their offices and shouted "Do what you do, but do it with dinosaurs" and then started throwing dufflebags full of cash at them, and rolodexes with the contacts on the absolute bleeding edge of paleontological research.

There are some parts where you know it can't possibly be an animatronic due to scale, but the lighting, focus pull, little camera movements, etc you'd swear you were looking at something that was filmed, not built in a computer. I won't pretend it's all like that, but from a technical level, it's probably one of the best there's been in terms of making CGI look like it's real from an artistic and technical level.

And it's the BBC Nature team so you know the narratives crafted, the stories told and the scenes shown are going to be super slick and polished.

8 cruel juvenile deaths out of 10
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Beany wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:58 pm Star Trek Picard Season 2

What a load of fucking trash.

If you want to get an idea of it without having to watch it, just watch Red Letter Media videos about it, you'll save several hours of time and a few instances of pretty nasty cringe.

Several unexplained things, very poor resolution to the main plot buildup, and appears to have - and I might be wrong here - retconned a major plot from TNG, which is ironic as it was salivating TNG fans that they wanted to watch.

It wasn't all that good on a technical level either, with very middle of the road effects and cinematography/direction.

Three idiotic script decisions out of ten.

If this is all Patrick Stewart's doing, someone just put him on a bloody SAGA tour and be done with it.
As season 1 was utter bollocks I didn't even bother wasting my time with it. I also persevered with Discovery until S3 where they made the dilithium thing about some kid having a tantrum, it was poor until then and after that shite it didn't deserve any more time so I never watch the season finale and won't be going back for S4.
I have a small, teeny amount of hope that Strange New Worlds might save what's left of the franchise but I think until they remove Bad Robot (JJ) and Secret Hideout (Kurtzman) it will be just more of the same crap.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've liked most of the new Trek stuff, S3 of Discovery was a bit messy but I'm still looking forward to the Paramount streaming thing launching so I can catch up. Lower Decks is legitimately one of my favourite ST shows and I've liked Picard too. Brave New Worlds is getting a great response from fans as far as I can tell.

Some people take sci-fi tv shows too seriously imo,
An absolute unit
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I enjoyed all of Picard. What chanel is Lower Decks on?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Amazon Prime
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Yup, lower decks is amazing. Even if you’re not into Star Trek one bit it’s worth watching
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:21 pmAmazon Prime
Ah cool, one to start watching over the weekend then!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Moon Knight

Won't try to explain it as it'll spoil things, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth a watch.

On Disney plus.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Stranger Things Series 4

I appreciate it isn’t for everyone but loving this series so far. Clocked some of the twists early but you can never be sure until the reveal.

9 Very clever Paul Reiser references to Aliens out of 10
Last edited by dinny_g on Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Meltdown - Three Mile Island

On Netflix. Like most people, I had heard about this but didn’t really know much about the details. Very interesting 4 parter with interviews with most of the key players. Yeah it wasn’t as serious as Chernobyl but the corporate lies and cover-up was staggering.

Amazing fact. Only 2 new Nuclear Plants have been commissioned in the US since 1979 and neither have opened yet.

Solid 8 out of 10
mik

Post by mik »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:40 pm Stranger Things Series 4

I appreciate it isn’t for everyone but loving this series so far. Clocked some of the twists early but you can never be sure until the reveal.

We only just wandered into Season1 last week :oops: . Thoroughly enjoying it. 8-)
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:40 pm Stranger Things Series 4

It's a lot darker isn't it?! I was confused when Netflix took me back to Season 1 Episode 1 then remembered Season 4 is split into 2 parts! :oops: