Decent Recent TV

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Jobbo »

New (final) season of Better Call Saul has started on Netflix. Two episodes up this week, one per week from next week. I've seen the first one and my only criticism would be that I'd forgotten a bit of the story in the couple of years since season 5, so had to refresh my memory. Really good as always. Better than Breaking Bad for me.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:02 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:10 pm
mik wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:46 am Watched Derry Girls S3 E1 yesterday. First 2 seasons were great, but couldn’t get into this one at all.

Someone has clearly polled public opinion as they seemed to have decided that “if people like X, then they are going to love 10X”.

10 seconds of some irrelevant 90’s tune squeezed in every couple of minutes. You like it when Clare gets in a complete panic, and her face contorts as she runs out of breath trying to get her point out? OK - we’ll do that every 3 minutes.

Etc etc.

Meh 🙁
I think that's possibly a touch harsh but, having watched it last night I would say I think it's past its best. It seemed too contrived and the setup less natural than previous series. It thrived, like the Inbetweeners, on just hitting the right references of teenage years. But the 1st one at least has gone beyond that.

Tommy Tiernan was still funny as though.

We watched Hullraisers after and that seemed promising.
S3E2 is fabulous :lol: so maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for E1 :?:
Watched Ep2 last night and yes, that was a return to form. Howling in parts at that. James as Posh Spice got me. :lol: And Michelle as usual - “it’s probably hard for you to tell because we’re related but I’m a massive f****g ride”
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:09 am New (final) season of Better Call Saul has started on Netflix. Two episodes up this week, one per week from next week. I've seen the first one and my only criticism would be that I'd forgotten a bit of the story in the couple of years since season 5, so had to refresh my memory. Really good as always. Better than Breaking Bad for me.
Its great isn't it? Although like you say, really benefits from a rewatch as there's so many callbacks and little plot details I've forgotten.

As always, the official podcast is great as it goes in to so much detail about the story, how they shot it, the locations etc, that I think its mandatory listening as its fascinating.

I guess the ideal time for a full rewatch will be ahead of the final half of the season airing later this year.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:35 am Michelle as usual - “it’s probably hard for you to tell because we’re related but I’m a massive f****g ride”
Michelle's the funniest :lol: - she should have her own series. Perhaps "Moving to London after School finishes. Sharing a house with other oddball characters - hilarity ensues"
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:09 am New (final) season of Better Call Saul has started on Netflix. Two episodes up this week, one per week from next week. I've seen the first one and my only criticism would be that I'd forgotten a bit of the story in the couple of years since season 5, so had to refresh my memory. Really good as always. Better than Breaking Bad for me.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... detectives

Grim but well made programme, now on series 3.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jimmy Savile - A British Horror Story - on Netflix

Christ how did he get away with it for so long. Well we know how - but how did he manage get all the establishment people to turn a blind eye to what they must have know what was going on for so long. Charidee mate - but they must have know they'd get dragged down with him if it all came out
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Ascender wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:18 am
Its great isn't it? Although like you say, really benefits from a rewatch as there's so many callbacks and little plot details I've forgotten.

As always, the official podcast is great as it goes in to so much detail about the story, how they shot it, the locations etc, that I think its mandatory listening as its fascinating.

I guess the ideal time for a full rewatch will be ahead of the final half of the season airing later this year.
Having only recently watched the whole of Breaking Bad (and the movie that follows it), this is possibly a timely reminder to start on Better Call Saul.
Left over crest; tightens.
tim

Post by tim »

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now MAFS Aus has ended. :(
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:56 am Jimmy Savile - A British Horror Story - on Netflix

Christ how did he get away with it for so long. Well we know how - but how did he manage get all the establishment people to turn a blind eye to what they must have know what was going on for so long. Charidee mate - but they must have know they'd get dragged down with him if it all came out
Horrific watching isn't it?

Still seems like organisations like the BBC, police and government seem to have got away lightly given their apparent roles in enabling/covering up the behaviour.

Mark Lawson who was interviewed for the Netflix show wrote this column to coincide with its release. Worth a read, but probably not whilst eating. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... x-offender
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Ascender wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am
dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:56 am Jimmy Savile - A British Horror Story - on Netflix

Still seems like organisations like the BBC, police and government seem to have got away lightly given their apparent roles in enabling/covering up the behaviour.
That’s exactly it - “Everyone Else” seems to got off scot free. And I don’t believe the producer chap didn’t know what was happening
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 am
Ascender wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am

That’s exactly it - “Everyone Else” seems to got off scot free. And I don’t believe the producer chap didn’t know what was happening
We watched this at the weekend and it's uncomfortable stuff. As mentioned above, his enablers have gotten off very lightly indeed. The BBC in particular have a lot to answer for especially stopping the original documentary which then aired on ITV. Shameful.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

And Plod up in Leeds who were handed all of the information to bust him but buried it, all while hanging out in his flat ??
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:21 am And Plod up in Leeds who were handed all of the information to bust him but buried it, all while hanging out in his flat ??
Yes. Shifty bastards. You can't trust Plod!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not sure if movie or TV but the Netflix doc about the Jan 6 riots in Washington is pretty eye opening.

I hadn't realised how bad things got on the day, if the politicians who goaded the people into what happened had any decency they'd be ashamed of themselves.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Another great episode of Better Call Saul, beautifully book-ended (is that the word? even though its in reverse?) by the cold open.

Looked utterly amazing in Netflix' 4K.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:31 am Another great episode of Better Call Saul, beautifully book-ended (is that the word? even though its in reverse?) by the cold open.

Looked utterly amazing in Netflix' 4K.
Watched that last night. This series is definitely delivering. 8-)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Slow Horses just finished season 1, was not what I expected but very good nevertheless.

8 Siriusly delivered insults out of 10.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Star Trek Picard Season 2

What a load of fucking trash.

If you want to get an idea of it without having to watch it, just watch Red Letter Media videos about it, you'll save several hours of time and a few instances of pretty nasty cringe.

Several unexplained things, very poor resolution to the main plot buildup, and appears to have - and I might be wrong here - retconned a major plot from TNG, which is ironic as it was salivating TNG fans that they wanted to watch.

It wasn't all that good on a technical level either, with very middle of the road effects and cinematography/direction.

Three idiotic script decisions out of ten.

If this is all Patrick Stewart's doing, someone just put him on a bloody SAGA tour and be done with it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

What was the retcon?

I liked the series fwiw.
An absolute unit