Decent Recent TV

ZedLeg

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by ZedLeg »

Most of the real weirdness is only surface deep tbh, once you get your head around the hybrids it's pretty much a straight post apocalypse survival story.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

With it been based around a pandemic it kinda draws parallels with what’s going on in the world now, the hybrids have that line of questioning going- did they cause the pandemic or did they come about because of the pandemic- think trump and the “China virus” comments but it’s cute instead of been an orange that’s been left out in the sun for too long and become sentient
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Having finished watching The Legend of Korra yesterday now need to find another family friendly adventure series. Mild violence and horror ok (blood bending and face stealers in the Avatar universe is at a similar level of nightmare potential as anything in LOTR in my opinion) Sweet Tooth is a maybe?

Loki very meh for me sadly. Latest Rick and Morty was another gloriously fucked up storyline.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nah, Sweet Tooth is fairly dark.

Have you watched the She Ra series that came out over the last couple of years? It's excellent.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

We haven't, good call, He-man is coming out too.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:46 am Having finished watching The Legend of Korra yesterday now need to find another family friendly adventure series. Mild violence and horror ok (blood bending and face stealers in the Avatar universe is at a similar level of nightmare potential as anything in LOTR in my opinion) Sweet Tooth is a maybe?

Loki very meh for me sadly. Latest Rick and Morty was another gloriously fucked up storyline.
Have you watched Gravity Falls?

Starts off as a standard kids adventure series, ends up with a guy getting the orifices in his face rearranged by a kid-friendly lovecraftian chaos God.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Intriguing...
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I'm really enjoying Loki although I think its going to benefit from a rewatch as one long movie although I'm not entirely sure why. I'm rewatching The Americans just now as Mrs Mike has never seen it and she's enjoying it massively. Great 80s soundtrack too.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We've been watching Katla, it's an Icelandic show about weirdness in a town under an erupting volcano. It's pretty decent, not quite the Dark replacement I was hoping for though. Some excellent trucks in it, as you would imagine for a show set on an Icelandic glacier.

The 6x6 Ford F350 thing is my favourite so far.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

One for the kids- new monsters inc series started on Disney plus yesterday
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Loki well that was a self indulgent and unsatisfying ending to season 1. Really only for die hard MCU people only in my opinion.

Watched Sweet Tooth episode 1, it was almost too well done, Mrs was very teary and we haven't braved Episode 2 yet, favouring the super lightweight faux seriousness of Shadow and Bone.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I liked Loki, it was all really to set up the new big bad though.

Finished Katla last week, it was good. Very bleak towards the end but it was a good first season.
An absolute unit
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

The Car Years (ITV)

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-car-years/2a6359

Programme is a bit lightweight and mainstream, but a few cars that might interest forum members @Delphi @integrale_evo
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:14 pm The Car Years (ITV)

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-car-years/2a6359

Programme is a bit lightweight and mainstream, but a few cars that might interest forum members @Delphi @integrale_evo
Just watched the 1978 one (obvs). Correct result but VBH calling the 928 a poor man's 911 and unreliable whilst proposing a Mazda RX-7! :lol:
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Into the night

French series about people trapped on a plane trying to keep ahead of a world ending event.

It was decent if a bit melodramatic. Everyone had some dark, secret reason why they were on the plane in the first place. Ticked along at a decent pace though and it was entertaining.

Started S4 of Handmaid’s Tale.
An absolute unit
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Virgin River now on series 3 for another fix of big American trucks :lol:
Left over crest; tightens.
Aml1987

Post by Aml1987 »

I may have missed it earlier in the thread but has anyone been watching manifest?
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Wife watched the first series, I started but got bored but then I got bored with lost
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

So watched the first 5 of the new Handmaid’s tale and I think it might be in the process of jumping the shark.

Olympic season has started so I’m watching women’s softball at 8 in the morning :lol:
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Umbrella Academy (both seasons)

That was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Didn't really go in with any expectations and while 'blown away' isn't a phrase I'd use, very pleasantly surprised is. Well written, well acted (the main cast are an ensemble and are all capable of being funny and throwing some pathos on there) and takes itself just seriously enough to allow the more dramatic parts to play off well, while still being light enough to have some more fun stuff, without it feeling remotely jarring.

I'll not bother summarising anything as it's a bit out there plot wise, other than imagine the X-Men but with something approaching the reality of being brought up from a very young age to be a crimefighting superhero and the effect that might have. But with decent writing and acting, unlike X-Men.

Definitely worth sticking it on your 'to do' list if you have a quiet weekend coming up.

Seven "Whoops apocalypse"s out of ten.

Edit: As an aside, I can understand why people talk about Loki and UA in the same breath, but they're really only tangentially connected by the fact that there's some light time travel involved, and there's an in-universe authority that oversees it with a retro aesthetic. Loki leans far harder into that authority for plot and aesthetic than UA does.