Decent Recent TV

Zonda_

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Zonda_ »

McSwede wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:29 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am Expanse S5

Feels like it's lost a bit of it's bite in terms of pacing and scripting a bit (Naomis late storyline really could have been covered in less screen time) but still a good series that does a good job of tracking the (very, very good) books.
I started S1 Ep1 of Expanse yesterday and managed to about halfway. Just looked lame so turned it off.
I’ve tried it 3 times!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am Expanse S5

Feels like it's lost a bit of it's bite in terms of pacing and scripting a bit (Naomis late storyline really could have been covered in less screen time) but still a good series that does a good job of tracking the (very, very good) books.
I started S1 Ep1 of Expanse yesterday and managed to about halfway. Just looked lame so turned it off.
I’ve tried it 3 times!
I thought it took a few episodes to get going but then was addicted.

I seem to remember The Wire was similar.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:03 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:58 pm

I’ve tried it 3 times!
I thought it took a few episodes to get going but then was addicted.

I seem to remember The Wire was similar.
I might give it another go then.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

FWIW The Expanse is probably my favourite show in the last 5 years. You need to like sci fi though.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:41 pm FWIW The Expanse is probably my favourite show in the last 5 years. You need to like sci fi though.
I love sci fi but I think I got 3 episodes in and gave up.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Zonda_ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:59 pm
duncs500 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:41 pm FWIW The Expanse is probably my favourite show in the last 5 years. You need to like sci fi though.
Me too but it just looked naff.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

McSwede wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:56 pm
Me three.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I really enjoyed Lupin on Netflix.

French and subtitled if that bothers anyone.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:16 pm
McSwede wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Me three.
Wierdos.

I'm sure the future will look naff* anyway. :P

* - Not that I think it looks naff myself, the game might have moved on in recent years, but when S1 came out in 2015 I remember thinking how good the special effects were for a non-movie. Now of course the series have much bigger budgets.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I've not tried it yet but if it looks like the 90's Babylon 5* then I'm oot.

*Actually quite liked the show but have never watched past series 3 or so.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Anyone been watching "Bless this mess"? It takes a couple eps to find its stride, but rather amusing for the main. Millenial NY types inherit ramshackle redneck farm, humor ensures, etc.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mr_jon wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 pm I've not tried it yet but if it looks like the 90's Babylon 5* then I'm oot.

*Actually quite liked the show but have never watched past series 3 or so.
It doesn't look anything like Bab 5. I really enjoyed that though, it went a bit weird towards the end.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I tried the expanse a few times but couldn’t get into it.

Liking the stand now, Alexander Skarsgard as Randall Flagg is great casting.
An absolute unit
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:02 am I tried the expanse a few times but couldn’t get into it.

I first read the books, but also needed some time to get my head around the storyline.
I think that a very short introduction about the different alliances (earth, mars and the belt) would make it a lot easier to get into the swing of things.
My advise for anyone starting to watch The Expanse, would be read a little bit about the series (Wiki). Even if this would contain a few spoilers about the first couple of episodes.
If you like SF just a little bit, there's no reason at all to not love The Expanse.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

So the Expanse wrapped up the season a bit more soberly than I expected. I actually really liked Naomi's drawn out struggle against the sabotaged ship and the others trying to get to her over muliple episodes. Made the distances feel much more substantial as they should. Pretty much the antithesis of late GoT seasons simply teleporting characters around to speed things along.

Once S6 finishes next year I will have to read the books, been enjoying the series too much to want any spoilers.

Definitely my favourite series in a long time.

The Great based on recommendations from here the Mrs and I have been watching, really good stuff!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Avatar the last air bender just finished the first season on Prime with the yoblettes and I can see why it still has such a following a decade later, absolutely fantastic stuff.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:45 am So the Expanse wrapped up the season a bit more soberly than I expected. I actually really liked Naomi's drawn out struggle against the sabotaged ship and the others trying to get to her over muliple episodes. Made the distances feel much more substantial as they should. Pretty much the antithesis of late GoT seasons simply teleporting characters around to speed things along.

Once S6 finishes next year I will have to read the books, been enjoying the series too much to want any spoilers.

Definitely my favourite series in a long time.
I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous seasons. I don't find Naomi to be anywhere near interesting enough to carry that much of the story. That part felt a little drawn out. Not having them together was always going to be a challenge given their dynamic was part of what made the show what it was.

It's no spoiler to say that we all knew they had to write out Alex in some way - and I guess it's as good as we could have hoped for given it was a last minute change. Still, I did like his character, flaws and all, so it's a shame he was (allegedly) a bit of a creep in real life.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

The Great has really stepped up a notch tonight! :shock: :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

HUZZAH!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Oh and been watching S2 of The Boys

Are they trolling us with Butcher's relatives? His Aunt played by a Canadian actress but sounded Aussie, his dad an Aussie actor and sounds, well, Aussie. His mum's a Manc at least I suppose.