Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

mr_jon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:32 pm Not sure if anyone has mentioned the latest adaption of The Stand? I don't mind it so far and certainly don't agree with the many critics panning it. It feels a bit like The Witcher again where people (mostly critics, you'd have thought they might have a few more brain cells!) seem to be unable to comprehend time shift as a direction/story technique. It's not perfect but it's watchable, thus far.
Where’s it on?? One of my favourite King books. Read it again later last year for about the 10th time
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:36 pm
mr_jon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:32 pm Not sure if anyone has mentioned the latest adaption of The Stand? I don't mind it so far and certainly don't agree with the many critics panning it. It feels a bit like The Witcher again where people (mostly critics, you'd have thought they might have a few more brain cells!) seem to be unable to comprehend time shift as a direction/story technique. It's not perfect but it's watchable, thus far.
Where’s it on?? One of my favourite King books. Read it again later last year for about the 10th time
I need to give it another go. I’m also a big fan of the book (also the 90’s mini series) but I didn’t really like the first episode. I guess I was expecting HBO/AMC production values and it’s more syfy.

It’s on the starzplay channel on AppleTV Dinny. I presume it would be on Amazon prime too.
An absolute unit
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

👍🏻

Edit - 👎🏻

Starzplay is another 4.99 / month.

I can’t bloody keep up with the levels of subscription service. Pretty soon, every individual program is going to have it’s own channel... and subscription 🤬
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Just proxy bay and deluge it.

Watched the hammond thing with the kids. The kids enjoyed it. Maybe they were the target audience?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:02 pm Just proxy bay and deluge it.

Watched the hammond thing with the kids. The kids enjoyed it. Maybe they were the target audience?
This. The splintering of streaming services is unsurprisingly driving people back to TPB KAT and Mega.nz

Prime video is pissing me off by advertising stuff on the front page that needs another subscription to actually watch. :roll:

If it wasn't for The Expanse I'd probably quit Prime. Speaking of the season finale next week is promising much, the last 2 episodes have been comparatively restrained.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Prime more than pays for itself in delivery savings for us but yeah, sub on top of sub blows goats
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I use Apple TV so there’s no sub for access, you just pay for the channels you want. I rent or buy a bit of stuff and I’m currently paying for the starz and bfi player channels.

I had a free trial for prime and started using the arrow channel while I was on it.I was disappointed that I couldn’t access the channel I paid for without the prime sub.

I cannae be bothered downloading/sneaky streaming any more.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

History of Swear Words

Absolutely brilliant, presented by Nicolas Cage who completely nails being cheesily brilliant Cage, but x100. Full marks to him and who ever writes his script!

it risked turning into one of those standard "here's some minor celebs talking about stuff" but managed to stay tight.

Fucking funny shit.
Beany

Post by Beany »

What's that on, Netflix or wot?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yep, netflix
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Anyone who subscribes to motortrend on demand should watch the new Faster with Finnigan. The nascar driver they race proves to be a lunatic :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Other than a pretty unconvincing performance by Amanda Burton as a crime family matriarch, I’m enjoying the latest series (series 3?) of Marcella.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mr_jon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:02 pm Just proxy bay and deluge it.

Thanks for the heads-up, have got the first 7 episodes downloaded to watch, if I can tear myself away from The Expanse.
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Virgin River - wife-friendly; it rolled along; great accents; bonus points for all the big 4x4s

After that I figured it was about time I watched something that been around a while. Out of House of Cards, Stranger Things, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad I've gone for Breaking Bad. Ep 1 was suitably enjoyable.
Left over crest; tightens.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Parks and Rec is now on Netflix btw, another great show that stands up well to repeated viewings.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Can I please implore everyone of you to watch Episode 5 of David Attenborough’s A perfect Planet.

It doesn’t matter if you haven’t seen episode 1 to 4 but please, please watch Episode 5.

No matter what your response to it is - whatevs or Christ... :shock: you need to see it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I haven't watched the last couple of documentaries that he's narrated as he just tries to guilt trip everyone... It's not more fo the same is it?
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Up to you to decide but do watch this one. As I say, if you think whatevs then fine but at least you’ll know.

But yeah, this one is focused on human impacts on our planet
Beany

Post by Beany »

Expanse S5

Feels like it's lost a bit of it's bite in terms of pacing and scripting a bit (Naomis late storyline really could have been covered in less screen time) but still a good series that does a good job of tracking the (very, very good) books.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 am Expanse S5

Feels like it's lost a bit of it's bite in terms of pacing and scripting a bit (Naomis late storyline really could have been covered in less screen time) but still a good series that does a good job of tracking the (very, very good) books.
I started S1 Ep1 of Expanse yesterday and managed to about halfway. Just looked lame so turned it off.