Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Ascender »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:57 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am

Dark series 3 got a bit silly.
Spoiler
It all seemed a bit convenient to add a second then third world to sort it out, and what was all that nonsense with seeing themselves in the wardrobe? Maybe you can explain that to me! :lol:
I honestly have no f*cking idea about the bit you’re referring to. All seemed a bit up its own ar$e and trying to be like 2001.
Spoiler
You’re right, S3 got silly and was a very convenient, albeit tidy way to wrap things up. I was also wondering about midway through S2 that there were so many people time travelling to the same places in the same time periods that I thought it would have been playing havoc with things back in the original time. I’m sure the writers had everything mapped-out for the main characters so that internet nerds couldn’t poke holes in the plot, but going by the “rules” of time travel, I was starting to wonder if there were people disappearing and re-appearing left, right and centre in some timelines.

I’ll be honest, I still can’t remember how they chose which door went to which year...
Spoiler
Jonas and Martha were in that sparkly corridor near the end and they saw their child selves through the back of a wardrobe.
I got that, but I just didn’t understand the actual point of it or how it forwarded the plot. I’m guessing its another paradox where it didn’t happen until that point in time, but as soon as it did happen, their past selves would have that memory?
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:57 am

I honestly have no f*cking idea about the bit you’re referring to. All seemed a bit up its own ar$e and trying to be like 2001.
Spoiler
You’re right, S3 got silly and was a very convenient, albeit tidy way to wrap things up. I was also wondering about midway through S2 that there were so many people time travelling to the same places in the same time periods that I thought it would have been playing havoc with things back in the original time. I’m sure the writers had everything mapped-out for the main characters so that internet nerds couldn’t poke holes in the plot, but going by the “rules” of time travel, I was starting to wonder if there were people disappearing and re-appearing left, right and centre in some timelines.

I’ll be honest, I still can’t remember how they chose which door went to which year...
Spoiler
Jonas and Martha were in that sparkly corridor near the end and they saw their child selves through the back of a wardrobe.
I got that, but I just didn’t understand the actual point of it or how it forwarded the plot. I’m guessing its another paradox where it didn’t happen until that point in time, but as soon as it did happen, their past selves would have that memory?
:lol: Who knows, there was a lot of shaky physics going on, but it was still a decent show. :)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:58 am Am loving The Terror but I’m watching a 720p webrip with pretty quiet/indistinguishable audio (as is often the issue). This show aired once on Sky (I think), but you can’t buy it on any streaming platform and the only blu rays I’ve found are region locked US ones.

How is that still a thing in this day and age where the only practical option to watch/own something is to pirate it?
I read your description and thought it sounded good, then watched a trailer and was keen to watch it... disappointing to find it's not available. You can buy it on Amazon actually, but fuck that. :(
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:55 pm
Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:58 am Am loving The Terror but I’m watching a 720p webrip with pretty quiet/indistinguishable audio (as is often the issue). This show aired once on Sky (I think), but you can’t buy it on any streaming platform and the only blu rays I’ve found are region locked US ones.

How is that still a thing in this day and age where the only practical option to watch/own something is to pirate it?
I read your description and thought it sounded good, then watched a trailer and was keen to watch it... disappointing to find it's not available. You can buy it on Amazon actually, but fuck that. :(
I’m currently getting hold of a 1080p version....
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Umbrella Academy binged S1 in time for S2 to be released yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, less bloody, dark and strange than the brilliant Watchmen series but great ideas and cast and a killer soundtrack. Weirdly enough no angsty emo music despite the original comic being written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

RobYob wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm The Umbrella Academy binged S1 in time for S2 to be released yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, less bloody, dark and strange than the brilliant Watchmen series but great ideas and cast and a killer soundtrack. Weirdly enough no angsty emo music despite the original comic being written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.
My nephew insisted I watch this but I just couldn't get into it. He's just started season 2 so I'll maybe try again.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Started watching The Boys. Love it. Karl Urban is superb and the whole thing is top notch.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Just watched the first part of this - delightful!

https://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2020/06 ... ion-years/
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

For anyone interested in football (or the dynamics of team sport in general)...

Take the Ball, Pass the Ball - Documentary on Pep Guardiola's Barcelona team from 10 years ago...

It's one of the few documentaries I've seen where Lionel Messi actually speaks with any insight

It's been on one of the Sky Channels
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Got round to watching the final series of Homeland and thought it was a well done, satisfying way to wrap up the whole show.

Thanks for the Red Dwarf doc heads-up [mention]unzippy[/mention], will remind myself how to watch Dave and check it out.
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 pm
RobYob wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm The Umbrella Academy binged S1 in time for S2 to be released yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, less bloody, dark and strange than the brilliant Watchmen series but great ideas and cast and a killer soundtrack. Weirdly enough no angsty emo music despite the original comic being written by the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.
My nephew insisted I watch this but I just couldn't get into it. He's just started season 2 so I'll maybe try again.
Just saw this was out. I enjoyed S1 so will check it out. Currently working my way through The Crown still though. Onto S3E3 I think.
Left over crest; tightens.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Ascender wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for the Red Dwarf doc heads-up @unzippy, will remind myself how to watch Dave and check it out.
No probs, do you use reddit? I got it from https://www.reddit.com/r/UKTVLAND/
From what I can tell, people record and chuck it up on a google drive, you can then make a copy and add to yours and download/stream.
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

unzippy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:48 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for the Red Dwarf doc heads-up @unzippy, will remind myself how to watch Dave and check it out.
No probs, do you use reddit? I got it from https://www.reddit.com/r/UKTVLAND/
From what I can tell, people record and chuck it up on a google drive, you can then make a copy and add to yours and download/stream.
Thanks for the link, will check it out.

I think Dave is on Freeview but not in HD, but I think there might be an app on the Apple TV as I’m sure we’ve watched endless repeats of Taskmaster on it.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Watched the second season of Umbrella Academy over the last couple of days.

Really enjoyed it. Really silly and fun, same sort of alternative super hero story as the boys, preacher etc.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Might check Umbrella Academy out over the weekend then as I honestly couldn’t make out whether it was amazing or total bobbins based on the reviews I’ve read.

We’ve been watching Malcolm in the Middle with the kids and its great fun as well as being one of the most on-the-nose portrayals of family life I’ve seen.
Cheers,

Mike.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05bxkyd
Motor race, fun-fair, sponsors' bonanza, death trap. Whatever it is, the 24-hour race at Le Mans has become a legend; for the driver, just to finish is an achievement; for the fans, to be there is a unique experience. For the race marshals and police there is little chance to relax, for when tragedy strikes it can be swift and terrible. Last year, during one of the hottest weekends in the history of the race, reporter Jack Pizzey joined the 250,000 spectators. He followed the fortunes of two British entrants. One was Guy Edwards, the former Grand Prix driver who made the headlines when he rescued Niki Lauda from a blazing wreck in 1976. Now he is one of the most successful businessmen-drivers on the road racing circuit. The other was Alain de Cadenet, who with little backing has made 11 attempts, and is dedicated to winning Le Mans. (1982)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ The film Le Mans is on iPlayer atm also; https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000m21l/le-mans

Thanks for posting that docu, links to a list that gives me more I haven't seen 8-)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I’ve been watching Ted Lasso on Apple TV where the first four episodes are up. Its surprisingly good fun, quite heartwarming without being overly saccharin and very funny. There’s obviously going to be some well worn tropes due to the genre, but its done really well and balances all these things to come up with something which is kind of predictable but feels fresh.

I was very surprised by how enjoyable it is.
Cheers,

Mike.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Delphi wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 am Started watching The Boys. Love it. Karl Urban is superb and the whole thing is top notch.
Watched the first 3 last night - very enjoyable but Urban's accent really gets on my tits. It's like they gave him videos of Danny Dyer or Vinny Jones to revise with, however the Kiwi keeps slipping out..

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Ascender wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 pm Might check Umbrella Academy out over the weekend then as I honestly couldn’t make out whether it was amazing or total bobbins based on the reviews I’ve read.
I enjoyed it, not amazing but very watchable all the same.

IaFG Down Under Division