Decent Recent TV

mik

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by mik »

McSwede wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:02 am
mik wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:54 pm Ozark S4.

I’m only 1 episode in, but it’s been a while and I just remembered….. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. :shock:
I've just started Ozark S1 and I'm 7 episodes in and enjoying it. I take it's worth sticking with then?? 😁
Ja. But it often stresses me to watch it!
tim

Post by tim »

Ozark S4 is fab, as per. I managed to limit myself to 3 last night, but I'm off sick today so highly likely I'll end up binging the rest.

I watched a couple of episodes of Rules Of The Game yesterday, which is very bizarre. Possibly stupid enough to keep watching it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Peacemaker

I'm quite enjoying this. There's some mild cringe in there, but I suspect most of it is at least partially deliberate given the context of the show. And while it's not as downright goofy as the opening, the opening perhaps gives an idea of what to expect.

The opening is even better to watch once you realise that probably a third of characters in there are totally playing it straight in the series. IE John Cena is obviously goofy as you like, but the cop characters? Totally 'standard' characters played 'realistically', no excessive weirdness. So seeing them do a stage piece for the opening is all kinds of adorable.

First episode I felt was a sightly tough watch as it has a bit more cringe humour (which I just don't find funny at all) but they drop most of that for the rest of it and it's a decent watch after that, with some interesting twists and fun little set pieces etc.

I've got literally no idea how it fits into the rest of the DC universe and I don't care really - it's working fine as a kinda standalone thing.

Just hoping they stick the ending. Apparently James Gunn wrote the whole thing and directed most of it, so that's an encouraging sign at least.

So far, so good.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I'm enjoying Peacemaker, its good fun and the format seems to suit James Gunn as I thought he peaked with the first Guardians movie but some of his stuff since just hasn't quite caught the sense of incredible fun that movie had.

Finished Yellowjackets which is a 10 part series about a girls high school football team (steady on there, its not that sort of series) who qualify for the state finals but their plan crashes in the US wilderness. The timeline jumps between the crash and 25 years later when we see a few of the survivors being brought together by some suspicious goings-on.

Its got a brilliant 90s soundtrack and whilst the series isn't quite as good as some of the reviews lead me to believe, I've really enjoyed it - both timelines are very well paced and hold their cards close to their chest, so its quite tense, with some great twists, shock moments and an amazing sequence in the second last episode.

There's apparently going to be two more series with the story already mapped-out so its not going to go all Lost on us, but its well worth checking out.
Cheers,

Mike.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The Responder on BBC (all available on iPlayer though not all episodes have gone out on normal telly yet so no spoilers).

Martin Freeman is truly excellent. Really good series.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Bunch of cvnts.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

So The Book of Boba Fett has turned into The Mandalorian season 2.5…
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:47 pm The Responder on BBC (all available on iPlayer though not all episodes have gone out on normal telly yet so no spoilers).

JIC but it is rather depressing :D

Ozark S4 is coming out in two parts we have just discovered, you can only have x7 episodes now ☹️ Rest are coming 'sometime in 2022'. Proper nailbiting, but mainly I find it a hilarious black comedy :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:07 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:47 pm The Responder on BBC (all available on iPlayer though not all episodes have gone out on normal telly yet so no spoilers).

JIC but it is rather depressing :D
Yeah, couldn't binge watch it. In fact, that's ideal really - I didn't want to watch Ep5 immediately after Ep4 but I really wanted to the following night.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

There's new It's Always Sunny on Netflix. Some good stuff.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:14 pm So The Book of Boba Fett has turned into The Mandalorian season 2.5…
Was kind of expecting this, and I don't mind it.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beany wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:00 am
Zonda_ wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:14 pm So The Book of Boba Fett has turned into The Mandalorian season 2.5…
Was kind of expecting this, and I don't mind it.
Yes, they seemed to run out of steam quite quickly, Boba wasn’t in the last episode at all and didn’t speak for the 30 seconds he was on screen in this one.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Which was a relief, because after a promising start, Boba Fett has been boring as fvck. Not to mention utterly pointless. He's the worst crime boss ever, wandering around with his two pig guys and somehow people are supposed to be intimidated by him?

So many issues with the whole thing. The space mods on their space Vespas? The sand people - wtf spend so much time for them to then just have them be killed off. Where did the cool sand person/woman(?) with the "dredds" go?

Fennec Shand, played by Ming-Na Wen (who is 58!!!) seems to view Boba as some sort of idiot, so why's she still hanging around with him?

What's funny is that presumably even the writers ran out of enthusiasm and just said "yeah, let's get Mando back." Last two episodes have been great.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The Outlaws very good, somehow struck a balance between some tragic social commentary and excellent comedy.
Did wish it had had more of "an ending" although thinking back on it almost all of the characters had satisfying development arcs.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

The Alpinist - on Sky Documentaries

Doc about the Canadian climber Marc-Andre Laclerc. There’s been a few high profile climbing films in recent years. Dawn Wall and Free Solo being the obvious two but this is something different.

He was almost completely unknown. He wasn’t sponsored, he had zero social media profile. He didn’t even own a phone. Lived in the woods in a tent with his girlfriend but did these amazing free solo alpine climbs all over the world and then told almost nobody.

Amazing story. Very interesting guy. We’ll worth a watch
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ooh, a genuine forum member on the Late Brake Show!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Stay Close

Really enjoyed this on Netflix. Not normally a fan of anything Jimmy Nesbitt is in, but he was good in this. Had enough going on to keep us hooked to the end and it all tied up nicely at the end - something that a lot of UK dramas seem to struggle with these days. It was like a typical British crime drama but with a sheen of Killing Eve over it, not least with the 2 C6 driving psychos.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:55 pm
Which was a relief, because after a promising start, Boba Fett has been boring as fvck. Not to mention utterly pointless. He's the worst crime boss ever, wandering around with his two pig guys and somehow people are supposed to be intimidated by him?

So many issues with the whole thing. The space mods on their space Vespas? The sand people - wtf spend so much time for them to then just have them be killed off. Where did the cool sand person/woman(?) with the "dredds" go?

Fennec Shand, played by Ming-Na Wen (who is 58!!!) seems to view Boba as some sort of idiot, so why's she still hanging around with him?

What's funny is that presumably even the writers ran out of enthusiasm and just said "yeah, let's get Mando back." Last two episodes have been great.
I've been really disappointed with Boba Fett, although iirc I found the first half to two thirds of Mando S1 dragged a bit and was hoping this would get going with a space Western crime romp. The Cobb Vanth / Cad Bane shootout gave me a flicker of hope that this still may be on the cards. The character of Boba Fett is pretty confused too - he was straightforward evil in the films, but now he's semi paternal and has a love of animals; he's a crack fighter but he got outwitted by a little goomba in the kitchens? Maybe it'll now pick up now they seem to have finally finished assembling the cast - there is so much potential there.

Anyway. Also on Disney + is Pam and Tommy which I have been enjoying. It's just on the right side of being grotesque and in-your-face enough to work.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:42 pm Stay Close

Really enjoyed this on Netflix. Not normally a fan of anything Jimmy Carr is in, but he was good in this. Had enough going on to keep us hooked to the end and it all tied up nicely at the end - something that a lot of UK dramas seem to struggle with these days. It was like a typical British crime drama but with a sheen of Killing Eve over it, not least with the 2 C6 driving psychos.
A bit of confusion between threads here Merv!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:18 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:42 pm Stay Close

Really enjoyed this on Netflix. Not normally a fan of anything Jimmy Carr is in, but he was good in this. Had enough going on to keep us hooked to the end and it all tied up nicely at the end - something that a lot of UK dramas seem to struggle with these days. It was like a typical British crime drama but with a sheen of Killing Eve over it, not least with the 2 C6 driving psychos.
A bit of confusion between threads here Merv!
:lol: :lol: Doh!