Decent Recent TV

ZedLeg

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by ZedLeg »

Fun fact about Umbrella Academy, the original series is written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. It's a decent comic series if comics are your thing.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 am Fun fact about Umbrella Academy, the original series is written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. It's a decent comic series if comics are your thing.
I believe he did some of the music for the series, too.

Not really a comic (I think you'll find that's graphic novel Zed ;) ) person, series is fine for me.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

No, it started as a monthly comic so comic is right :P
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:20 am No, it started as a monthly comic so comic is right :P
Whatever ;)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

UA was a pleasant surprise, Loki was a bit of a waste to me. mega cast did nothing much except setup another MCU thread.

I totally underated Shadow and Bone initially, the series just got better and better as the separate stories converged and I'm looking forward to S2. Recommended.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, we watched all of Shadow and Bone last week. I wasn't sure about it as it seemed a bit derivative but was really enjoying it by the end. Will definitely keep up with it.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 am Fun fact about Umbrella Academy, the original series is written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance.
Way to put someone off :lol:

I actually started watching it yonks ago but never really stuck with it
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Watched The Grand Tour - Lochdown last night. Quite enjoyed it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah I watched it but found it to be all very formulaic these days - there just isn't any way to breath new life into the format.

Buy 3 cars - check
Race them when they're not designed for racing - check
Take them down roads they are unsuitable for - check and check
Have a comic accident - check and check
Damage May's car somehow - check
Annoy May with childish prank - check
Say how much they love their cars - check

That's why the boat one was the best in recent times as, despite having all of the above, it was different.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Chris Packham - the walk that made me

Very poignant program about his mental health struggles, framed around a walk he used to do a lot as a child.

I wouldn't have been his biggest fan previously and often found him a bit difficult to like, but I've changed my opinion of him after this.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Hacks enjoyed the first couple of episodes, contains comedy and gratuitous abuse of a RR Wraith.
tim

Post by tim »

I've been binging Startup on Amazon Prime - worth a look, some excellent cliff-hangers and ridicu-tech.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

tim wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 pm I've been binging Startup on Amazon Prime - worth a look, some excellent cliff-hangers and ridicu-tech.
Not sure how far you've got yet, Tim but I'm on Season 2 and no spoilers, but Izzy's tech stack is revealed to be JavaScript! :lol:
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
tim

Post by tim »

Delphi wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 am
tim wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 pm I've been binging Startup on Amazon Prime - worth a look, some excellent cliff-hangers and ridicu-tech.
Not sure how far you've got yet, Tim but I'm on Season 2 and no spoilers, but Izzy's tech stack is revealed to be JavaScript! :lol:
Yeah, hence the ridicu-tech comment! I think I'm on S2 Ep9 now or thereabouts. It's a bit silly in places, and the IT side is hilariously madeup like it always is. But that's part of the appeal.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Cheers for that. Two episodes into Season 1 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sweet Tooth very good if melancholy and the odd but of adamantium plot armour.

Hacks a good laugh with some quality insults.

Looney tunes nearly 80 years old now but bloody hell does it stand the test of time! I'm thoroughly enjoying introducing the next generation to them.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

tim wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:08 am Intelligence with David Schwimmer is bloody funny. I watched the first one and thought it was a bit stupid, but stuck with it and it's great.
A bit behind the curve here as we've just started watching this. My wife has burst out laughing on a couple occasions :D
tim

Post by tim »

I think S2 is out now? I've not caught up with that yet.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

S5 Rick and Morty

Can't put my finger on it, but they've lost it IMO
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Nathan wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:15 pm S5 Rick and Morty

Can't put my finger on it, but they've lost it IMO
I've enjoyed it, there haven't been any extraordinary episodes but still plenty of laughs. The clones episode was the most creatively funny, but the gross out giant sperm invasion one still raised a laugh.