Decent Recent TV

RobYob

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by RobYob »

The Nevers Joss Whendon's latest is a real mixed bag, interesting characters, snappy dialouge, intriuging stories, steampunky setting. But bloody hell does it does it have some convoluted story threads that might delight those examining every detail but is distinctly unfriendly to relaxed viewing.

Ted Lasso only just starting season 1, but it is pretty funny even for people with no interest in either gridiron or soccer.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Really enjoyed Vigil...
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

DaveE wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:56 pm Really enjoyed Vigil...
Yep. My wife watched this one too. Several times she hid behind a cushion or asked ‘why do you like stuff like this?’ :lol:
Left over crest; tightens.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

JonMad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:04 pm
DaveE wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:56 pm Really enjoyed Vigil...
Yep. My wife watched this one too. Several times she hid behind a cushion or asked ‘why do you like stuff like this?’ :lol:
I was a bit like her too! 😂
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

The ending has been slagged off, but I thought it drew a line under all the various plots quite well- what were people expecting? Them to launch a nuke at Russia?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Foundation Very pretty opening episode, has promise but I read the books so long ago I'm not up in arms about any of the changes apparently made.

Six very poorly FMEA'd space elevators out of ten.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Vigil was cack. Laughably cack in parts.

The trouble is they did that thing where they show the first 2 eps on consecutive nights, and by then I felt too invested to skip the rest.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:15 am Foundation Very pretty opening episode, has promise but I read the books so long ago I'm not up in arms about any of the changes apparently made.

Six very poorly FMEA'd space elevators out of ten.
Oh, I might have to look at that.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

This looks interesting. The premise is loaded with comedy potential

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6324/m ... itcom/amp/

iPlayer from Nov 5th. (Unless you live in Sheep-land)
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mike Bubbins is crackers. Thats not a character, he's playing himself.

He has a Mk1 Cortina, a Capri and a TransAm for best :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

He was saying in the interview I heard that he used the Capri and wears his own clothes in this… and that’s a Tax write-off :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I remember loads of people talking about Wanda Vision so we thought we'd check it out

Utter twaddle

One of those things where I secretly hope they all die because they're all rubbish characters about whom I care not

But then I actively dislike the whole Marvel thing so I wasn't exactly target market

The Cleaner was really good though (BBC)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Laurel Canyon - on Sky Documentaries

Documentary about Laurel Canyon in Hollywood which was the epicentre of the music 60's music scene - Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Alice Cooper, The Doors all lived there. Even Micky Dolnez and Peter Tork from the Monkeys lived there. Crosby Still and Nash came into being in Steven Still house. Mamma Cass's house was the centre of everything.

If you're interested in 1960's music, you'll love it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Also - new series of Shetland has started... As good as ever...

Although, as times goes on, it's becoming harder and harder to avoid noticing just how bad an actor Steven Robertson (who play's Sandy) is when compared to Dougie Henshall and Alison O'Donnell (Jimmy and Tosh) - who are both consistently excellent
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm Laurel Canyon - on Sky Documentaries

Can I conclude it's utter twaddle and then confess I don't like music, the 60s and 60s music, then proclaim I probably wasn't the target market?

:)

Binged Ted Lasso all the way to the end of S2, very entertaining and not just because Hannah Waddingham is so tall and lovely and tall.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm Laurel Canyon - on Sky Documentaries

Documentary about Laurel Canyon in Hollywood which was the epicentre of the music 60's music scene - Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Alice Cooper, The Doors all lived there. Even Micky Dolnez and Peter Tork from the Monkeys lived there. Crosby Still and Nash came into being in Steven Still house. Mamma Cass's house was the centre of everything.

Brilliant, isn't it! We watched a while ago. Superb stuff.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

RobYob wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:58 pm Can I conclude it's utter twaddle and then confess I don't like music, the 60s and 60s music, then proclaim I probably wasn't the target market?
Go for it Rob... :lol:

By the way, Ted Lasso is massively overrated... I mean I haven't seen it but I'm sure it's overrated all the same... :D
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We're rewatching Succession at the moment with S3 now starting to air. It really is a brilliantly written show which gets better with every viewing.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is back and I thought the first episode was a great start.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’m watching all of Curb Your Enthusiasm just now, we just finished watching Seinfeld (which I’d never watched before) and my partner wanted to give it a go after not liking it before.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

We were on a Seinfeld rewatch through the first half of the year but have stalled about half way through season 5. Have never seen Curb your enthusiasm, is it more of the same style about nothing?

Only murders in the building slow to start but a very watchable cast, two episodes to go.