Decent Recent TV

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Ascender »

GG. wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:39 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 am I love pretty much everything about The Mandalorian. Each episode is a perfect length, tightly scripted and I love how they're expanding on Star Wars in a fun way with some great nods to the originals without being really ham fisted about it or trying to please everyone like they did with the recent movies. The Western-influence is really well done and even the "filler" episodes are just so much fun that I really don't care if the main plots about finding the Jedi and other Mandalorians aren't moving on at-pace.
+1 on all of that - soundtrack is really well done too.

Some of the episodes are better than others but the scriptwriters seem to be a revolving pool so that would make sense.

You're probably right that they are best kept short - though that means I've tended to binge watch 3 or 4 in a session and I'm all caught up now... :(
I'll add another word. Charming. The Mandalorian is utterly charming and the way they handle Baby Yoda melts the heart of a cynical 45 year old Scotsman. Genuinely ashamed at myself for how I get suckered in.

This week's episode was another good one - lots of little hints about where things are going to move it on, but also some more great action and use of Star Wars imagery and characters.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, fans of Dark Forces will be pleased. ;)
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:16 am Yeah, fans of Dark Forces will be pleased. ;)
That was my first thought too, but I see there's been some different iterations of them in the books as well so nobody knows which way they'll go with it. Its the first show in a while where I'm annoyed at having to wait A WHOLE WEEK for the next episode.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Cara's enjoyed lockdown hasn't she - she's twice the woman she used to be!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pm
Beany wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:16 am Yeah, fans of Dark Forces will be pleased. ;)
That was my first thought too, but I see there's been some different iterations of them in the books as well so nobody knows which way they'll go with it. Its the first show in a while where I'm annoyed at having to wait A WHOLE WEEK for the next episode.
I'd expect they'd reach from the most recent canon-eque source to keep it consistent with the rest of the Disney universe, but still, it's interesting.

And yeah, it feels like it was written to be episodic, so I don't mind so much. Whereas the Boys S2 feels like it was meant to be binged in one go, so that was more annoying.
tim

Post by tim »

The Queen's Gambit (Netflix) has been really enjoyable to watch. Doesn't hurt that Anya Taylor-Joy is a minx, mind. :)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Aye. Just about to watch Ep. 6. This series has been masterful.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mandalorian update

Some good lore stuff thrown in this week. No spoilers, but some major bits opened up.

Also, just to be clear, if you stop watching as soon as the credits start, you're missing out on some utterly lovely concept art that they put over the first minute or so of the credits.

I keep hearing good things about Queens Gambit - I think I'll binge it once it's all up.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Beany wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:30 pm I keep hearing good things about Queens Gambit - I think I'll binge it once it's all up.
It is! (7 episodes)
Left over crest; tightens.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Finished it last night. Quite brilliant IMO. Sure the end was fairly predictable, but it could've gone another way too. And I like how they got to the finish.

Great series, worthy of a rewatch in a couple of months.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:30 pm Mandalorian update

Some good lore stuff thrown in this week. No spoilers, but some major bits opened up.

Also, just to be clear, if you stop watching as soon as the credits start, you're missing out on some utterly lovely concept art that they put over the first minute or so of the credits.

I keep hearing good things about Queens Gambit - I think I'll binge it once it's all up.
The Mandalorian is just so well made and great fun. Loved how you jumped straight in to the action this week and the cinematography with a melding of Western and samurai was stunning. Really enjoyed it.

I've added Queens Gambit to the watchlist too although I've heard mixed things about the latter episodes.

Still got The Witcher to watch but am currently addicted to Tehran on Apple TV which is a very good spy show set in Iran.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Witcher is quite enjoyable, I'd imagine you get more out of it if you're familiar with the lore, but having never so much as seen a Witcher game being played, I liked it.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:43 pm
I've added Queens Gambit to the watchlist too although I've heard mixed things about the latter episodes.
One of the things I really like about Gambit was the pace of the whole series. In just 7 episodes they covered so much and at no point were you looking at the clock waiting for this scene to end or the episode to finish. There's no dead wood in the cinematography at all.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 am
One of the things I really like about Gambit was the pace of the whole series. In just 7 episodes they covered so much and at no point were you looking at the clock waiting for this scene to end or the episode to finish. There's no dead wood in the cinematography at all.
I thought the complete opposite to the pace. The first episode was great but it's ground to a halt by episode 5. I'm bored of watching drawn out chess games with very predictable outcomes.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

The Third Day

Sky Atlantic min series about weirdos on a small British island. Heavy Wicker Man vibes as you would expect and a great cast.

Well worth watching.

I watched the first series of His Dark Materials, the other day.

I really liked it but I’m not sure how much you’d get out of it if you’re not a fan of the books.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

ZedLeg wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 am I watched the first series of His Dark Materials, the other day.

I really liked it but I’m not sure how much you’d get out of it if you’re not a fan of the books.
I thoroughly enjoyed His Dark Materials season 1 knowing nothing about it really. Then went and listened to the Audiobook (also very good). Season 2 is excellent so far.

A bit over two weeks until Season 5 of The Expanse starts and the trailers are looking fantastic. Sad but hopeful that the news of it being renewed but ending for Season 6 will give the whole saga a fitting conclusion. I can then start on the books which I've been avoiding as I've enjoyed the TV adaptation so much :D
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

RobYob wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:33 am
A bit over two weeks until Season 5 of The Expanse starts and the trailers are looking fantastic. Sad but hopeful that the news of it being renewed but ending for Season 6 will give the whole saga a fitting conclusion. I can then start on the books which I've been avoiding as I've enjoyed the TV adaptation so much :D
Seems that Cas Anvar (Alex) won't be back for S6 - a few accusations have seen to that. I wonder how they'll write him out?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

RobYob wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:33 am
ZedLeg wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 am I watched the first series of His Dark Materials, the other day.

I thoroughly enjoyed His Dark Materials season 1 knowing nothing about it really. Then went and listened to the Audiobook (also very good). Season 2 is excellent so far.

I particularly like that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the voice of Andrew Scott's daemon
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Dark material books are brilliant.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:12 am
I dunno what Rich is on about. I barely noticed the chess while I was drooling over Anya Taylor-Joy. She's a bona-fide minx.

Otherwise I agree, good series.