Decent Recent TV

Simon

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:49 pm Stranger Things S4 Pt 2

I quite enjoyed this.It's very much More Of The Same stylistically, but the format used (two very long episodes) actually works pretty well.

Basically if you enjoyed the rest of it, you'll enjoy this, and you've probably already watched it.

A solid 7/10
I'll repeat that I nearly gave up on ST S4 after the first couple of episodes. We both thought it was unnecessarily graphic and violent and had strayed too far from the ST ethos and story. Also that they weren't young teenagers playing D&D anymore and that was part of its charm.

However, glad we stuck with it. Some heroic action from most of them and Eddy's literal swan song was a fantastic tribute to that era of music.

Really looking forward to S5 (which is likely 2 years out) by which time all the kids will be in their early to mid-20's. Looking forward to seeing how they tie everything off and who dies next. My prediction is that 11 will buy the farm to save the world. It's all her fault anyway.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Beany

Post by Beany »

They're doing a big time gap for S5 allegedly (necessary, obviously, as puberty is a twat).

And yeah, I very much enjoyed Eddy. A fun character and I imagine many of us have met one :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:35 pm I imagine many of us have met one :lol:
Met one??? I was one… :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
mik

Post by mik »

If anyone watching Better Call Saul hasn’t now watched S6E8 (released last night) - you need to correct this. Another corking episode. 8-)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:17 pm If anyone watching Better Call Saul hasn’t now watched S6E8 (released last night) - you need to correct this. Another corking episode. 8-)
Its brilliant isn't it? Can't wait to see how this ends.

Didn't realise the scene in the apartment at the start is when Bob Odenkirk had his heart attack. They took an 8 week break then came back and finished shooting the scene...
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

My brother in law bumped into him in Co Kerry a month or so back. He was hiking up a mountain and feeling fighting fit.

Good news really because heart attacks are so 50/50 in terms of your life after
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Apparently he’s working on another Nobody movie so he must be feeling strong.

Started Resident Evil on Netflix. I’m a big fan of the series, even most of the dodgy Mila Jovovich movies and this series starts really well. Might be hard to start if you don’t know the series as it kind of just drops you into it but worth a look if you’re a fan of post apocalypse/horror things.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 pm
mik wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:17 pm If anyone watching Better Call Saul hasn’t now watched S6E8 (released last night) - you need to correct this. Another corking episode. 8-)

Didn't realise the scene in the apartment at the start is when Bob Odenkirk had his heart attack. They took an 8 week break then came back and finished shooting the scene...
Neither did I :o
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Horizon: Super Telescope - on iPlayer

About the James Webb. Incredible feat of Mechanical Engineering to get it in place to become an incredible feat of Astrophysics.

Well worth a watch
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Blackbird on Apple TV is brilliant. Released weekly and am three episodes in...

Based on a true story, the less you know going in to it the better, but a setup is that a convicted drug dealer is given the chance to have his sentence quashed if he can get some information out of another prisoner who they suspect is a serial killer.
Cheers,

Mike.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:12 pm Horizon: Super Telescope - on iPlayer

About the James Webb. Incredible feat of Mechanical Engineering to get it in place to become an incredible feat of Astrophysics.

Well worth a watch
Cheers, will be watching that for sure 👍
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Bad Sport on Netflix.

Watched three episodes so far. One on corruption in Italian football centring around Juventus in around 2004-06. Another on Hansie Cronje, ex-South African cricket captain, around match-fixing and tonight I watched the episode around Randy Lanier -Amateur racing driver who started smuggling drugs to pay for his racing teams. Enjoyed all three of them and another three to go in the series.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I feel uncomfortable posting this with the thread title;

The Big Cases
Deadly Browsing: The Lorry Driver
Contains very strong language and upsetting scenes.
How a lorry driver, looking at dating sites while driving, went on to kill three.

Duration24 minsFirst shown25 Jul 2022Available for 11 months

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... rry-driver

Here's a news article about it; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-62235941
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I'm really enjoying Only Murders in the Building S2. Definitely worth watching.

On Disney+
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 pm I'm really enjoying Only Murders in the Building S2. Definitely worth watching.

On Disney+
Cool, Season 1 was a slow starter for me but I did thoroughly enjoy it at the end.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Finished Resident Evil the other day, I really liked it but it might be a mystery to people who aren't as up on the series in general. It references a lot of history from the games. Decent sci-fi horror series though.

Paper Girls on Prime is good too, based on a series by one of my favourite writers so I was looking forward to it. Time travel story with the same kind of nostalgia vibe as Stranger Things (this came first though). Two thumbs up.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 pm I'm really enjoying Only Murders in the Building S2. Definitely worth watching.

On Disney+
This is Mrs Mike's new favourite show and I'm enjoying it too. Its very charming if that makes sense.

Only two episodes of Better Call Saul left...
Cheers,

Mike.
Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Ascender wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:53 pm

I'm relieved that the plot is finally going full circle, with the guest appearances this week. There were points during season 4/5 where I felt they were dragging the plot out a bit thin just to make another season. It's nice to see how they're dovetailing the plots back together with only a couple of episodes left. Makes me want to continue into a re-watch of BB :lol:

BTW, had anyone worked out that "Saul Goodman" was "S'all good, man" prior to BCS? I can't believe I watched the entirety of BB without realising :oops:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ascender wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:42 pm Blackbird on Apple TV is brilliant. Released weekly and am three episodes in...

Based on a true story, the less you know going in to it the better, but a setup is that a convicted drug dealer is given the chance to have his sentence quashed if he can get some information out of another prisoner who they suspect is a serial killer.
Just finished this. Also known as 'The Falcon's Tale'.

Glad it was kept to 6 episodes. It means it kept the pace nicely.

A really strong cast. The guy playing Jimmy was good, but OMG the guy playing Larry was pure nightmare inducing. A disturbingly horrific performance that really makes you feel a bit queasy with his descriptions of the crimes he committed.

A satisfying conclusion to the 6 episodes though. It was brilliant, but I've no desire to see it again, if you know what I mean!

9 wooden carved birds out of 10.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Anyone watching From? I’m really enjoying it.