Decent Recent TV

Beany

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Beany »

I'm still watching Foundation and I can't help thinking it would be a less frustrating watch if they had released it all at once for bingeing.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

We watched all the available episodes through the week and really liked it.

Watched Invasion, that other new sci-fi show on Apple TV. Didn't really like it. Too much domestic drama, not enough sci-fi.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

After Foundation episode 1 and seeing views/reviews on later episodes I'm saving it for binging later.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, it's a bit hit and (slight) miss on an episode to episode basis, which I think is more forgivable if you just ram through them all over a weekend.

I like it so far, but it's frustrating to have the plot pushed forward in one episode, then have an episode full of fucking flashbacks and the plot more or less stays static by the end of it.

I suppose that means I want to see where it's going, but it's a pain in the arse to me, personally.

Perhaps I've just got too used to being able to binge stuff as a norm - I don't remember being this frustrated with, say, Breaking Bad or other series I was watching on a weekly basis.
tim

Post by tim »

I've started on Succession, which is very well done and funny. Also the ginger would get it.

Narcos Mexico S3 started yesterday, as always top notch.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Latest episode of Succession is brilliant as always.

Now, Dexter is back.... They've been making all the right noises about wanting to set things right and give it a proper, fitting ending, but why do I get the feeling they might just be digging up the dead horse and giving it one final beating for good measure? I guess there's only one way to find out...
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I'm binge watching Parks and Recreation - half way through series 4. It really is brilliant.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is next...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:16 pm I'm binge watching Parks and Recreation - half way through series 4. It really is brilliant.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is next...
P&R is awesome.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
tim

Post by tim »

Treat yo'self!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

So, Dexter wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (stick that on the poster). It was utterly predictable stuff, but was kind of good to see him back.
Cheers,

Mike.
Steve_B

Post by Steve_B »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:07 pm Storyville
Carlos Ghosn: The Last Flight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... ast-flight
I second this, I finished watching it last night, i don't know if it's still available on iPlayer, but it's a fascinating storey and a great watch.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:28 am So, Dexter wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (stick that on the poster). It was utterly predictable stuff, but was kind of good to see him back.
Yeah, I thought it was alright. Wonder if James Remar will reappear as he gets back into murdering, maybe have a battle of the imaginary friends.
An absolute unit
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Just finished The Outlaws on iPlayer. Written by Stephen Merchant and set in Bristol. A British cast… and Christopher Walken. Comedy/drama. 8/10.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The Eiger Sanction starting now on BBC4. That's ruined my plans for an early night 😂
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Brilliant film...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Wheel of Time

Watched the first 3 last night and as someone who read all the books I really enjoyed it.

It’s never going to be as mainstream as Game of Thrones but it’s obviously had some money spent on it. It’s a step up from the SyFy fantasy stuff.

Worth a watch if you like that kind of thing.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I made it through 3 or 4 of the books, started well but you could see it beginning to drag even then. Hopefully they'll cut the story down a bit like GoT.

Squid Game enjoyed binging it (dubbed version, but I though the voice acting was really good) the violence was the least interesting thing about it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, I’ll be curious to see how it goes. I guess they’ll have to slim it down a lot.

I kept reading the books more for the insane amount of world building than the story, which is tropey as it gets. So if they cut loads of that I might not be as into it.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Cowboy Bebop

(Live action, obvs)

I'm not sure how to get about this one. It feels like they got about 85% of the way there, then realised that some things just can't translate from anime to live action.

As a non spoiler example, in the anime, Spike is almost always very, very relaxed when fighting - lazy, almost, because he's just that good. That's easy to do with animation, but you just can't do that with physical actors exerting themselves.

I mean, I watched it all but it goes from feeling very similar to the source material, to completely unlike it, in jarring ways sometimes.

The very last scene also did a great example of when some things simple can't convert to live action. Animated, they have charm, live action they're just flat out weird and not in a good way.

I'm gonna say 5/10 because I can't give it shit on any technical level but 4honestly I'm mostly left confused by it.

Also, watch the anime, it's a stone cold classic for a reason.

Edit - reviews online seem to be all over the shop too, so I guess it's, shall we say, polarising :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Foundation

I'm less confused by this, it's generally quite interesting and enjoyable.

To summarise it badly, clever maths guy works out a theorem for predicting the future of large populations, and the ruling hegemony of his civilisation doesn't like that cos it predicts their fall, and exiles him and his acolytes; broad scale drama ensues on multiple fronts

It's well produced, has big ideas and presents them pretty well, if a bit slowly. There are perhaps four or five narratives going on here across multiple timelines, which is initially annoying, but it settles into one timeline for the bulk of it so it's not that bad.

I do think it would have benefited from being edited for a full series drop for bingeing, rather than a weekly episodic method, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, that might be a me thing.

I've never read the Foundation works so to me, this is all functionally new. I feel like there's a lot more to come, I just kind of wish they had pulled more of it into this single season.

Six weird paperweights or of ten, but a good six.