Decent Recent TV

RobYob

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by RobYob »

Mr Pish wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:41 am
JLv3.0 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:22 am
Mr Pish wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 am Lost in space

Lasted 6 mins, the altimeter showing meters but the computer saying feet for the ameritards...

The ship sinks falls through the ice it landed on and they have to rush because all the water is going to freeze as it hits -60c at night, that’s some temperature cycle the planet goes through that all the water except the surface melts during the day and then the lot freezes solid in 2 minutes
Sounds like this isn't the documentary for you Eric.
Its just not the same without Attenborough
Turned my brain off and quite enjoyed the first Episode. The water was clearly a super critical solution kept just above freezing by space magiks.

I have attempted to get into Attack on Titan three or four episodes in though and I just got tired of the shouting.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lasted 6 mins, the altimeter showing meters but the computer saying feet for the ameritards...

The ship sinks falls through the ice it landed on and they have to rush because all the water is going to freeze as it hits -60c at night, that’s some temperature cycle the planet goes through that all the water except the surface melts during the day and then the lot freezes solid in 2 minutes
While that is true, I saw the same thing (feet/meters) and immediately started nitpicking in my head, and it ruined it for me. I might come back to it, though as I hear it's alright.

Hemlock Grove
I'm....unsure about this. The short version is it's like Twighlight if someone actually knew how to write characters, and it's not badly done - but my goooood it's in no rush to develop it's plot or push the story.

Now that I've got through Season 1, I'm quite liking the universe though, so I'll probably persevere with it and see where it goes.

I'm gonna give it six romany gypsy legends out of ten, but only on the provision you like reasonably grounded supernatural oriented stuff - if you scoff at that sort of thing, it'll probably bore you to tears.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 pm

While that is true, I saw the same thing (feet/meters) and immediately started nitpicking in my head, and it ruined it for me. I might come back to it, though as I hear it's alright.

I noticed the feet/metres thing and laughed but carried on.

I assumed the ice melted from the heat of the ship. I've only watched the first episode but quite enjoyed it. Pretty family friendly, which is what you would expect from a Lost in Space reboot.
An absolute unit
Richard

Post by Richard »

Billions

It’s back, and still excellent.

Classy. Smart. Modern

The Walking Dead

Season 8 just finished. What a drudge it’s been. I’m enjoying that it’s moving away from the comics more and more, but not enjoying how slow it is. Everything is so dark and glum. Emotion is flat. It’s shit.

That said, the last episode showed some promise, so maybe next season will be better. Having read the comics, and guessing it’ll roughly point in the same direction, season 9 could be ok.

Miserable. Boring. Hopeless.
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

Richard wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:27 pm Billions

It’s back, and still excellent.

Classy. Smart. Modern

The Walking Dead

Season 8 just finished. What a drudge it’s been. I’m enjoying that it’s moving away from the comics more and more, but not enjoying how slow it is. Everything is so dark and glum. Emotion is flat. It’s shit.

That said, the last episode showed some promise, so maybe next season will be better. Having read the comics, and guessing it’ll roughly point in the same direction, season 9 could be ok.

Miserable. Boring. Hopeless.
Agreed. I think we're going to give up on Walking Dead after 8 series. Most of it's been pretty drudgey in retrospect (remember S2 during the writer's strike?)
As I said years ago, the fact it is based on a comic that is still endlessly trudging on with no overall story arc or progress has always filled me with doubt. I like programmes to tell a story, not just continually show how poorly most people would act after the breakdown of civilisation.
The highly implausible but relatively upbeat ending of S8 seems an appropriate place to leave it.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'm still a big fan of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Most of it is irrelevant because I'm nearly vegan but I give it serious airtime.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Nathan wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 pm I'm still a big fan of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

Most of it is irrelevant because I'm nearly vegan but I give it serious airtime.
One of the few things I miss from having an actual TV service in the house, we used to have Food Network as our background noise channel. Very rarely think to stream any of it though.
An absolute unit
David_Yu

Post by David_Yu »

If you didn't catch it in 2016, I highly recommend you watch Westworld S1.
I'm rewatching it on 4k Blu Ray, very possibly the first modern TV series I've ever rewatched (I'm not counting nostalgia reruns of Magnum, UFO and Captain Scarlet).
Absolutely stunning in concept and execution.
Acting is first class all round, Ed Harris and Thandie Newton in particular.
Scenery and cinematography jaw-dropping (all shot on film).
Story is really well done, almost zero in common with the now very dated 1973 film.
Produced and sometimes directed by Jonathan Nolan, Christopher's brother and collaborator. He did the also excellent Person Of Interest before this.

S2 starts next Monday and I can't wait!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Just noticed that there's a new series of Atlanta, first couple of episodes have been pretty good.
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I know I'm late to the party, but I've only just discovered Car SOS. Love it. Tim's slightly fake compassion grates when he does the "emotional" bits but Fuzz is brilliant and they seem to do a proper job on the cars.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

David_Yu wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:16 am If you didn't catch it in 2016, I highly recommend you watch Westworld S1.
I'm rewatching it on 4k Blu Ray, very possibly the first modern TV series I've ever rewatched (I'm not counting nostalgia reruns of Magnum, UFO and Captain Scarlet).
Absolutely stunning in concept and execution.
Acting is first class all round, Ed Harris and Thandie Newton in particular.
Scenery and cinematography jaw-dropping (all shot on film).
Story is really well done, almost zero in common with the now very dated 1973 film.
Produced and sometimes directed by Jonathan Nolan, Christopher's brother and collaborator. He did the also excellent Person Of Interest before this.

S2 starts next Monday and I can't wait!
Yeah - really looking forward to this.

However, it's very finely balanced at the moment and based on the "Reveal" at the end of Season 1 (if you hadn't got it already) and the few teasers, it could become very formulaic very quickly...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hemlock Grove complete series review

Pretty much as per the previous - slow, deliberate - but not really justifying that pace. Also the third series goes on a bit of a tangent given how the second series ends, and frankly, is underwhelming.

Overall I'd say 5 mythical creatures attempted to be grounded in reality out of 10 I reckon. For fans of the gothic horror genre only.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Beany wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:10 pm Hemlock Grove complete series review

Overall I'd say 5 mythical creatures attempted to be grounded in reality out of 10 I reckon. For fans of the gothic horror genre only.
Hmmm shame, been looking for something to replace Grimm with for a while.

Oh and how fucking awesome was yesterday's The Expanse!
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:12 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:10 pm Hemlock Grove complete series review

Hmmm shame, been looking for something to replace Grimm with for a while.

Oh and how fucking awesome was yesterday's The Expanse!
If you like the genre, you'll get something out of it - it's well acted, nicely shot, some interesting concepts etc - but it's just so slooooow. I didn't mind it, but I wouldn't recommend it without those caveats - you need to have patience for it.

As for The Expanse, I fucking forgot about that. That's one for me to hunt down tonight. I'm hoping a certain major plot device has been finally introduced (having read the books) as it's about damned time it showed up!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Silicon Valley

Back for Season 5, and currently 3 episodes in

It’s still funny, TJ Miller has left, which is a good thing. I’m guessing this season will follow how every season goes, but that’s ok. It’s like The Big Bang Theory, but not shit, and much less mass market. I don’t think it’ll age very well though, a lot of the jokes are very now.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Coutnerpart

J.K Simmons is excellent in it, but the rest of the cast/production is very daytime TV.
Beany

Post by Beany »

RobYob wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:12 pm Oh and how fucking awesome was yesterday's The Expanse!
That was a lot of fun - all the physics shenanigans etc were nicely played out.

Looks like they're off on a roll with this season, fingers crossed they keep it up.
mik

Post by mik »

The Keith & Paddy Picture Show

Grease last week was great.

Top Gun this week caused some side pain. :lol:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Lost In Space

You know what, given that the original was (to me at least) a saturday afternoon sci fi romp, with some campy baddies and whatnot, having watched the reboot, I quite like it.

It's not some grimdark reboot, it's something you could reasonably sit down with a ten year old and watch and enjoy it, and it certainly improves towards the end of the series. Some good tense moments in there too, as you'd expect with Neil Marshall (of Dog Soldiers fame) having strong creative control over it.

Get past the first couple of episodes and it opens up pretty well. Lots and lots (and lots) of practical effects stuff too, which is nice to see. They have Chariots, which are EV offroaders that I recognise (They remind me of the Peter Stevens off roader project) that are fully practical, and I'm sure I've seen them before somewhere.

Some good child actors in there too, it doesn't feel too schmaltzy at all. It's quite enjoyable.

A solid six dangers out of ten Will Robinsons. Worth a look if you have a few hours to kill to get into it.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Westworld

It’s back tonight

(Actually yesterday in America, and available on Sky NowTV at the same time)