Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

Reacher on Prime

I must confess, I have a weakness for rubbish TV (I watch the Magnum Reboot religiously ffs 😂) but on a scale of Rubbish where 1 is a small swing bin in the bathroom to 10, a large scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre, this is a Large Scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre that also handles commercial Asbestos waste 😂

I’m 4 episodes in already…😂

At least they chose the right lead as he’s 6’ 5” and built like a brick shithouse.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

dinny_g wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 pm Reacher on Prime

I must confess, I have a weakness for rubbish TV (I watch the Magnum Reboot religiously ffs 😂) but on a scale of Rubbish where 1 is a small swing bin in the bathroom to 10, a large scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre, this is a Large Scale Industrial Waste Disposal Centre that also handles commercial Asbestos waste 😂

I’m 4 episodes in already…😂

At least they chose the right lead as he’s 6’ 5” and built like a brick shithouse.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's been 25 years since Killing Floor was written :shock:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:32 pm Ooh, a genuine forum member on the Late Brake Show!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11479
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Not tv, but too long for the random thread;

Beany

Post by Beany »

Peacemaker

Overall, genuinely enjoyable. Took a character who was really quite unlikeable as presented in Suicide Squad, and actually gives them some realistic (by comic book standards, natch) breadth and depth, all wrapped up in a quite funny, quite violent, well paced bit of TV surrounded by a well rounded, entertaining ensemble cast who really seemed to be exciting themselves.

Especially Freddy Stroma who plays vigilante, who seems to be loving every minute of time on screen playing an adorable, chummy, highly personable absolute psychopath.

A bit like The Boys, you don't need to be a comic book or DC nerd to enjoy this. I'm neither and it's just a good show.

Seven surprisingly good ends to a series of of ten.

It's been announced that season 2 is a go - the studio actually informally greenlit it weeks ago, but it's taken till yesterday for Gunn and Cena to agree they have some good ideas they can work with for S2, which is how it should be done...
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Tell me who I am on Netflix

Jesus it’s harrowing stuff but an amazing story. Really difficult watch but captivating. I can totally see why the brother did what he did and totally see why his brother was pissed. Talk about a rock and a hard day place.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

Watched clips of season 15 on youtube and they are really good.

I watched some of the earlier seasons before and they were hit and miss so never got into to it and watched a whole season; the whole series are on Netflix, should I watch S15 in isolation or would it make more sense to start from S1 (for the story arc)? :?: I’m fairly time poor at the moment!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:20 am It’s always sunny in Philadelphia

Watched clips of season 15 on youtube and they are really good.

I watched some of the earlier seasons before and they were hit and miss so never got into to it and watched a whole season; the whole series are on Netflix, should I watch S15 in isolation or would it make more sense to start from S1 (for the story arc)? :?: I’m fairly time poor at the moment!
Generally speaking, the 1st season is very hit and miss, but it picks up quickly and really hits its stride when Danny De Vito joins. "Story arc" is pushing things (a lot), but so many of the callbacks and in-jokes will be missed if you don't go from the start.

The episodes are pretty short so you can blast your way through them at a reasonable rate. Not sure how many Netflix have removed, I'm guessing its just the Lethal Weapon ones.

They've just started a podcast talking about every episode, one a week which is very entertaining, but they're all pretty honest about how they feel about some of those early episodes too. Was funny to learn they had a deal with Budweiser to sponsor them and provide all the in-bar beer. They shot the first series and it was about to air when Budweiser for a copy of the first episode and immediately cancelled the sponsorship.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Beany wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:01 pm Peacemaker

Overall, genuinely enjoyable. Took a character who was really quite unlikeable as presented in Suicide Squad, and actually gives them some realistic (by comic book standards, natch) breadth and depth, all wrapped up in a quite funny, quite violent, well paced bit of TV surrounded by a well rounded, entertaining ensemble cast who really seemed to be exciting themselves.

Especially Freddy Stroma who plays vigilante, who seems to be loving every minute of time on screen playing an adorable, chummy, highly personable absolute psychopath.

A bit like The Boys, you don't need to be a comic book or DC nerd to enjoy this. I'm neither and it's just a good show.

Seven surprisingly good ends to a series of of ten.

It's been announced that season 2 is a go - the studio actually informally greenlit it weeks ago, but it's taken till yesterday for Gunn and Cena to agree they have some good ideas they can work with for S2, which is how it should be done...
Absolutely agree.

I thought Peacemaker was fantastic fun and the best thing James Gunn has done in a long time. Didn't take itself too seriously, managed to mix light & dark moments and everyone seemed to be having a great time. I was really surprised by it as I thought The Suicide Squad movie was a big disappointment - this kind of delivers on the bits of promise I thought that movie did show.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Ascender wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:49 am Generally speaking, the 1st season is very hit and miss, but it picks up quickly and really hits its stride when Danny De Vito joins. "Story arc" is pushing things (a lot), but so many of the callbacks and in-jokes will be missed if you don't go from the start.
I found the total opposite. I really enjoyed it up until DDV turned up. I've tried 2 or 3 times over the years to get past it and I just found the entire tone of the show changed as soon as he arrived.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:58 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:49 am Generally speaking, the 1st season is very hit and miss, but it picks up quickly and really hits its stride when Danny De Vito joins. "Story arc" is pushing things (a lot), but so many of the callbacks and in-jokes will be missed if you don't go from the start.
I found the total opposite. I really enjoyed it up until DDV turned up. I've tried 2 or 3 times over the years to get past it and I just found the entire tone of the show changed as soon as he arrived.
I think its just that type of show. We watched the recent Irish episodes and my wife's favourites were ones which I thought were a bit average and vice versa. I just think De Vito is having the time of his life.
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The woman in the house across the street from the girl in the window (or thereabouts. Netflix)

WTAF?! Don't even know where to start with this one. I mean, yay, Kristen Bell, but... WTAF?

4/10 psychotic episodes.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ascender wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:49 am I'm guessing its just the Lethal Weapon ones.
And "Dee Day":

Where Mac's costume is a reference back to one of Dee's badly judged "characters" in season 4:

I do love 'Philadelphia though. The absurd behaviour always gets called out very quickly by other members of the show. And then replaced by different, but even more absurd behaviour. The episode "The Gang Solves the Bathroom Problem" calls out all manner of bullshit.

I can't remember all of season 1 but I do remember that they 100% set out their stall with episode 1 so I would agree with Ascender that it's worth starting at the start. The only real arc through the show is Mac's sexuality. Everyone else stays exactly the same 8-) And DeVito definitely adds a great dimension from S2.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Cheers @Ascender @Rich B @Sundayjumper , all 15 seasons on Netflix so I will give them a watch (time permitting!)
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

@duncs500 Pitchmeeting
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Dopesick on Disney Plus

Mini series based on a book about the opioid crisis in the US. Focus is split between the Sackler family, law enforcement agencies trying to build a case and people who ended up addicted to Oxycontin.

It’s very good, Michael Keaton is particularly good as a doctor who ends up addicted after a car crash. Definitely worth watching.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Car sos started again last week, ep2 on tomorrow
Beany

Post by Beany »

What we do in the shadows

Film and series.

Mockumentary about the boring, banal things that vampires do day to day (night to night). Both the movie and series rely less on the premise, which is a bit silly, and more on the actors involved, and as we're talking primarily Tahikata Weetabix in the film, and Matt Berry in the series, theres no problems there. Both have ensemble casts for the main characters, and both casts are genuinely impeccable in terms of delivery and timing.

There are some pretty bonkers cameos in the TV series too given its kinda-culty status. It's obvious that TW has a lot of love for the genre.

Everyone in the TV series is excellent, but Matt Berry really is a scene stealer extraordinaire among an entire cast of scene stealers.

And there is actually a coherent background plot/arc as well.

8 cries of BAT out of ten.

Looking forward to season 4.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Drive to Survive . Jesus I always knew Horner was a whiny twat but this season has really exposed him for what he is. I always though Wolff could be ruthless but he came across far better.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Beany wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:04 pm What we do in the shadows

Film and series.

Mockumentary about the boring, banal things that vampires do day to day (night to night). Both the movie and series rely less on the premise, which is a bit silly, and more on the actors involved, and as we're talking primarily Tahikata Weetabix in the film, and Matt Berry in the series, theres no problems there. Both have ensemble casts for the main characters, and both casts are genuinely impeccable in terms of delivery and timing.

There are some pretty bonkers cameos in the TV series too given its kinda-culty status. It's obvious that TW has a lot of love for the genre.

Everyone in the TV series is excellent, but Matt Berry really is a scene stealer extraordinaire among an entire cast of scene stealers.

And there is actually a coherent background plot/arc as well.

8 cries of BAT out of ten.

Looking forward to season 4.
Have you tried the spin off following the police officers in the film? It’s called wellington paranormal and is great