Decent Recent TV

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Ascender »

The first soundtrack album comes packaged as a release from The Pale Watchmen, a band from the Watchmen universe with accompanying Rorschach artwork and interesting liner notes. A few copies have turned up in a US record store packaged as second hand, signed by the band members.

There's also the Peteypedia which gets updated after every episode.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

I thought the dong thing was just about the fact that in the original, they clearly had issues connecting with each other in "that way" despite the fact they loved each other. So I guess on the one hand she's still carrying that thing around but in the end opted for a more human connection with the young FBI guy.
Cheers,

Mike.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Need to catch up with Watchmen. Really enjoyed the first episode.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:02 am There's also the Peteypedia which gets updated after every episode.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia
The Petey files are good but a little unnerving. Nixon cancelling presidential terms (after the assassination of the Watergate journalists) would doubtless have Trump wishing for this alternate history.

Episode 4 really turns up the weirdness.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am The Americas with Simon Reeves

2 episodes in - very good and worth downloading.
Getting better and better. The Southern US episode featured Immigration and the Trump Wall and the most recent was in Central America, the source of most of the folks trying to cross from Mexico into the States.

It featured families from Guatemala who are literally starving to death (one women and her child in the mountains had 6 days of food - then nothing. her husband was away trying to earn some money to buy food). Climate Change is robbing them of the ability to look after themselves in the place they are from.

On to El Salvador which is a defacto war zone, with 10's of thousands of MS13 soldiers, hardened in the prisons of the US and then deported are running everything. and lets' not forget the US backed war from the 80's

The US really has had a heavy hand in creating the problem they're now building a wall to prevent.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Stranger Things

Didn't catch me first time we started it, but been bingeing it this time round. Awesomely 80s!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It is really good, isn’t it.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

It is indeed. I like that they've moved on a bit and widening it.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
tim

Post by tim »

There's a new season of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime - the 1st one was ace
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Mandalorian

I'm not minding this at all, honestly. First episode had the usual "your watching a star wars thing so heres REFERENCES EVERYWHERE even though the mandalorian on the screen should be reference enough" but it's taken a slightly different path than I expected with the second episode, which could lead to something more interesting.

I mean, I have a lack of faith, as I always do, but still, so far it's really rather enjoyable.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

tim wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am There's a new season of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime - the 1st one was ace
I really enjoyed the 1st season but found the 2nd one to be contrived beyond belief. I stuck with it and it was OK, but no more. Very disappointed tbh.

Have been re-watching Mr Robot from the start and boy was that a good series. Am hoping the final season lives up to the best parts of it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Beany wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:24 pm The Mandalorian

I'm not minding this at all, honestly. First episode had the usual "your watching a star wars thing so heres REFERENCES EVERYWHERE even though the mandalorian on the screen should be reference enough" but it's taken a slightly different path than I expected with the second episode, which could lead to something more interesting.

I mean, I have a lack of faith, as I always do, but still, so far it's really rather enjoyable.
First 2 episodes have been very good, PITA you have to sail the 7 seas to get it ... I would buy it if it was on iTunes

I hope they are not going the way of the Netflix punisher series where he spends 90% off his time beaten up / shot ...
Join us, join the Teslarati!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Literally that sort of on the nose bollocks is what annoyed me. Any yes, well done, I see what you did there.

They've mostly dropped it for the second episode, thankfully.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I'm a celebrity get me out.... :shock:
tim

Post by tim »

This is a thread about decent TV. Didn't you read the sign? :p
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

I'm not sure what to make of it. Strange shift in tones - it's like it wants to be "dark" but being clearly held back by Disney's family-friendly approach and it keeps shifting back to goofy/silly.

I mean, he walks into a bar, smashes 3 people with ease, slices one in half through the door....then he's hiding behind his hand later while getting charged by down by those critters, before hiding behind his dagger while getting charged by the Rhino. I mean, he's supposed to be "the best" yet frequently acts like he's way out of his depth.

I will say it looks brilliant, has clearly has money thrown at it from all angles....but I feels its really being held back by the platform. Time will tell.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Mr Pish wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:59 pm

First 2 episodes have been very good, PITA you have to sail the 7 seas to get it ... I would buy it if it was on iTunes

I hope they are not going the way of the Netflix punisher series where he spends 90% off his time beaten up / shot ...
Do you have a Firestick? I just watch it though Cyberflix.
Mr Pish
Currently Driving: Model 3 Performance

Post by Mr Pish »

Zonda_ wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 am
Do you have a Firestick? I just watch it though Cyberflix.
just an apple tv, dont think i could be ass'd to setup a VPN on my router to cover using cyberflix
Join us, join the Teslarati!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Man In The High Castle season 4 just out.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

tim wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am There's a new season of Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime - the 1st one was ace
Remarkably predictable, but still enjoyable.
Left over crest; tightens.