Decent Recent TV

RobYob

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by RobYob »

Finished The Witcher and mostly enjoyed it, as a fan of the books and games I thought some of the rejigging of plot a bit odd. I did really like the snark upgrade for Dandelion/Jaskier.

If anything I though it a tad rushed and didn't explain who was who and when they were very well.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Dracula

Bonkers but brilliant - funny, interesting - as you’d expect from Gattis and Moffat...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Beany wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:23 pm Also, just to go back to Mr Robot for a moment, the more I think about it, the more S4 E7 might well have been the highlight of the entire series, full stop. It sets itself up as one of their fun, experimental episodes tha they do typically once a season (structured like a play, only two sets, only three real characters - they do this every so often, like one episode that was shot in near real time and appeared to be 'one shot' all the way through) and you think, "ah, this'll be a bit of fun". And then it drops that fucking bombshell towards the end of it.

Wonderfully done. That has proper stuck with me today.
Depending on your opinion of IMDB user ratings, after 13k votes it still holds a 10/10 and is currently the 2nd highest rated TV episode on the site, even beating out BB:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... ating,desc
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 am
Beany wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:23 pm Also, just to go back to Mr Robot for a moment, the more I think about it, the more S4 E7 might well have been the highlight of the entire series, full stop. It sets itself up as one of their fun, experimental episodes tha they do typically once a season (structured like a play, only two sets, only three real characters - they do this every so often, like one episode that was shot in near real time and appeared to be 'one shot' all the way through) and you think, "ah, this'll be a bit of fun". And then it drops that fucking bombshell towards the end of it.

Wonderfully done. That has proper stuck with me today.
Depending on your opinion of IMDB user ratings, after 13k votes it still holds a 10/10 and is currently the 2nd highest rated TV episode on the site, even beating out BB:

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... ating,desc
I see the weebs have flooded the list it with Attack on Titan episodes, but to be fair, it did make me want to rewatch AoT (which is good) so perhaps they have a point :lol:

Edit: Also Gravity Falls has some entries in there, and that's a series that deserves a lot more praise - yes, it's a kids show, but it's a kids show that's genuinely better than most mainstream 'premium' series in every respect.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 pm Dracula

Bonkers but brilliant - funny, interesting - as you’d expect from Gattis and Moffat...
Similarly enjoyed it. And I'm not a huge fan of their stuff these days - I find it a little smug. This was brilliant though, with just enough Hammer Horror nods in there. And Claes Bang was fecking brilliant as Dracula

Also enjoyed Mackenzie Crook's adaptation of Worzel Gummidge last week. He has a wonderful touch when it comes to cinematography and the score, and he struck a good balance in terms of it being family entertainment. A bit like after watching every series of The Detectorists, it had me wanting to sell up and move to the sticks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Finished The Mandalorian. Excellent old fashioned adventure TV show. Felt exactly like the type of thing you used to watch on a Saturday afternoon.

Watched a bunch of The Witcher yesterday. Really enjoyed it, quite cheesy fantasy horror but I like cheesy fantasy horror.
An absolute unit
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Just looked that up. https://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/mr-ro ... 201895559/
Might have to watch that one again now.
Left over crest; tightens.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Oh, and I enjoyed the finale of Man in the High Castle and now have got my parents binge-watching it :)
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Is there a separate thread for Top Gear? I can’t find it. Just watched the Nepal special and, while it didn’t really have even a tenuous reason for the journey, it was pretty good.

Particularly loved the sitar cover of Jumpin’ Jack Flash they used:
tim

Post by tim »

Was that a repeat?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I enjoyed it very much. It was just what it should be. An epic adventure with much cocking about.
Simon

Post by Simon »

tim wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 pmWas that a repeat?
Nope, 2019 Christmas special.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

tim wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 pmWas that a repeat?
I had to double check that too. It’s not as if they’re distinctive enough to be individually memorable.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I quite enjoyed the Nepal special. There were a couple of contrived things that didn't lead anywhere (the suits that Paddy or Thingy had made for the other two, just pointless and not even funny), but some parts were pure gold. Paddy with his passengers was hilarious. Those women were brilliant, and the holy man nicking the Peugeot also had me creased up. It wasn't amazing, but was good fun with great scenery.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

“Needlessly buying Suits” and “Leaving price tag on equipment” is unnecessarily old Top Gear but otherwise, a very enjoyable episode
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Just watched the Topgear Nepal one, ok but a bit pointless.

There was a load of abuse on CHs twitter over the 106 and the Renault. I do kind of agree that it was a shame to kill the 106 as they are pretty rare, but having seen how common Renault 4s still are in some countries I couldn’t give a monkeys about them.

Madagascar has THOUSANDS of R4s, they’re used as taxis (as well as 2CVs and other little old french shit boxes.)

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I wasn't really that bothered about them damaging the cars, but did think they'd stopped pointlessly smashing up the cars for the lols with the current lineup, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

Did they ever explain why the other thing was rwd? It clearly had a front axle with a diff bulge in some shots. Probably just left it in rwd only again for the lols.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 pm I wasn't really that bothered about them damaging the cars, but did think they'd stopped pointlessly smashing up the cars for the lols with the current lineup, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.

Did they ever explain why the other thing was rwd? It clearly had a front axle with a diff bulge in some shots. Probably just left it in rwd only again for the lols.
Yep, it clearly had a front diff, I did quite like the guessing game for how old it was though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

It didn’t feel like a special, just 3 guys driving 3 shitters to a shit hole.
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

dinny_g wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 pm Dracula

Mrs is watching this and it's so bloody boring.