Decent Recent TV

RobYob

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by RobYob »

Binged S1&2 of Manifest

Started interesting, descended gradually into so bad it's still kinda good. Would make a lethal drinking game with the phrases "What does this mean?!" and "It's all connected!"

Really enjoyed episode 1 of Staged trying to space them out to savour.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Finished Season 1 of Dark and its every bit as good as I’d heard it was. Its a bit mind-boggling at times trying to keep on top of who exactly everyone is and who is related to who with the minor characters, but its genuinely brilliant stuff.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Started watching Normal People last night, and ended up doing the first 5 episodes back-to-back. :o

Beautifully shot love story, with loads of very uncomfortable and "jeezus, remember your youth?" type scenes. Pretty emotional. Some great acting too imho.

Don't watch with your kids as there is quite a bit of on-screen humpage, but would thoroughly recommend. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am Finished Season 1 of Dark and its every bit as good as I’d heard it was. Its a bit mind-boggling at times trying to keep on top of who exactly everyone is and who is related to who with the minor characters, but its genuinely brilliant stuff.
Just finished Season 3, a bit disappointing. S1 > S2 > S3, but still worth working your way through it.
mik

Post by mik »

Is there a subtitles rather than dubbed version? I turned it off as the latter was getting on my tats.

Edit: ignore - I found my own answer HERE
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:20 pm Started watching Normal People last night, and ended up doing the first 5 episodes back-to-back. :o

Beautifully shot love story, with loads of very uncomfortable and "jeezus, remember your youth?" type scenes. Pretty emotional. Some great acting too imho.

Don't watch with your kids as there is quite a bit of on-screen humpage, but would thoroughly recommend. 8-)
It was an enjoyable watch. The parody in the last series of Dead Runners highlights the humpage very well.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

One episode to go of Dark....

Have also started watching The Terror - 6 episodes in and am loving it as well as having total respect for the size of balls on those explorers & sailors in the 1800s who’d go off on these mad expeditions in to the unknown.
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:56 pm Is there a subtitles rather than dubbed version? I turned it off as the latter was getting on my tats.

Edit: ignore - I found my own answer HERE
Yeah, has to be subtitles. Netflix usually has an impressive array of options nowadays.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

In general, I find the Netflix interface and options vastly superior to anything else I've seen. The rest need to do better.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:20 pm Started watching Normal People last night, and ended up doing the first 5 episodes back-to-back. :o

Just finished the first episode. It’s very good but all the ‘teenagers’ appear to be in their thirties 😂
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, Netflix have the UI nailed (although their home screen and ability to find stuff is still horrendous) so its really annoying when other 3rd parties try something different, just to be different and screw it up. Like the Amazon Prime Apple TV app where they just ignore how the menus work in every other ATV app ever.

So, finished Dark and overall I thought it was pretty damn great, up until season 3 which I found to be a bit of a chore to get through, but I’m not entirely sure why? The finale was good though and wrapped everything up very nicely, but that last season was a bit all over the place too.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The Amazon UI used to be best, but it’s got a bit fussy now (or maybe I’ve just got used to Netflix). The best thing about Amazon though, which I really wish Netflix had, is IMDb ratings for all the movies. Anything under 6 is just not worth watching (maybe that’s why they don’t have it!)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Amazon own imdb
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 amAmazon own imdb
i didn’t know that, it’s bloody useful though!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 pm So, finished Dark and overall I thought it was pretty damn great, up until season 3 which I found to be a bit of a chore to get through, but I’m not entirely sure why? The finale was good though and wrapped everything up very nicely, but that last season was a bit all over the place too.
Dark series 3 got a bit silly.
Spoiler
It all seemed a bit convenient to add a second then third world to sort it out, and what was all that nonsense with seeing themselves in the wardrobe? Maybe you can explain that to me! :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 am
ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 amAmazon own imdb
i didn’t know that, it’s bloody useful though!
Whaaa? I had no idea of that either.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

TBH I wouldn’t be surprised if that was one of the reasons they bought it :lol:.

Along with adding to their lucrative data harvesting department obviously.
An absolute unit
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am
Ascender wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:54 pm So, finished Dark and overall I thought it was pretty damn great, up until season 3 which I found to be a bit of a chore to get through, but I’m not entirely sure why? The finale was good though and wrapped everything up very nicely, but that last season was a bit all over the place too.
Spoiler
It all seemed a bit convenient to add a second then third world to sort it out, and what was all that nonsense with seeing themselves in the wardrobe? Maybe you can explain that to me! :lol:
I honestly have no f*cking idea about the bit you’re referring to. All seemed a bit up its own ar$e and trying to be like 2001.
Spoiler
You’re right, S3 got silly and was a very convenient, albeit tidy way to wrap things up. I was also wondering about midway through S2 that there were so many people time travelling to the same places in the same time periods that I thought it would have been playing havoc with things back in the original time. I’m sure the writers had everything mapped-out for the main characters so that internet nerds couldn’t poke holes in the plot, but going by the “rules” of time travel, I was starting to wonder if there were people disappearing and re-appearing left, right and centre in some timelines.

I’ll be honest, I still can’t remember how they chose which door went to which year...
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Am loving The Terror but I’m watching a 720p webrip with pretty quiet/indistinguishable audio (as is often the issue). This show aired once on Sky (I think), but you can’t buy it on any streaming platform and the only blu rays I’ve found are region locked US ones.

How is that still a thing in this day and age where the only practical option to watch/own something is to pirate it?
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:57 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am
Spoiler
I honestly have no f*cking idea about the bit you’re referring to. All seemed a bit up its own ar$e and trying to be like 2001.
Spoiler
You’re right, S3 got silly and was a very convenient, albeit tidy way to wrap things up. I was also wondering about midway through S2 that there were so many people time travelling to the same places in the same time periods that I thought it would have been playing havoc with things back in the original time. I’m sure the writers had everything mapped-out for the main characters so that internet nerds couldn’t poke holes in the plot, but going by the “rules” of time travel, I was starting to wonder if there were people disappearing and re-appearing left, right and centre in some timelines.

I’ll be honest, I still can’t remember how they chose which door went to which year...
Spoiler
Jonas and Martha were in that sparkly corridor near the end and they saw their child selves through the back of a wardrobe.