Decent Recent TV

unzippy

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by unzippy »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm
Beany wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Because they're Trekkies and they're never happy with anything that isn't TOS or TNG.
I enjoyed it, the only niggle was Data looking so much older.
Enjoyed it, mostly scene setting episode, but that's not usual for Star Trek to start slow (DS9 took ages to really get going and the first few TNG episodes were slow along with Enterprise basically commiting suicide by being a bit crap until the WW2 episodes). Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine in Voyager) is already credited in IMDB so there is likely to be a Voyager tie in. Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis also credited too so we know they'll be more TNG cast making appearances. Hoping that more Voyager cast members will return and fill us in on the 20 years that have passed since the return home. Would love to see Avery Brooks reprise Sisko but it looks unlikely, shame he was class in the role, so maybe some of the DS9 crew too, Kira, Bashir, O'Brien, Dax and Sisko junior would all make good additions and they have a good opportunity to do this and even set the scene for an original timeline spinoff with new cast.
Yes, I may be a bit of a Trekkie.
"Coming next week" had a clip of Seven of Nine and Riker, albeit with a massive beard. If Seven of Nine is onboard, I wonder if Locutus will reappear?

I loved that Picard's dog was called Number One :lol:
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I read somewhere that Seven of Nine features quite heavily and that Picard is indeed forced to revisit his time as a Borg.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:13 am I read somewhere that Seven of Nine features quite heavily and that Picard is indeed forced to revisit his time as a Borg.
Could involve some Janeway too then as she was touted as Starfleets Borg expert (excluding Seven of Nine) in the last Voyager episodes and I think some of the TNG films.

Carelessly I missed the upcoming preview from the first episode so I didn't see the preview appearance.

Still hoping that ST:Discovery can fulfill it's potential and stick with convention in the next series. There were a couple of episodes that showed real promise in S2.

The Orville is still still currently out trekking everything though and the S2 mid season 2 parter was exceptional.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I started with the Orville but didn't gell with it, may have to revisit it.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am I started with the Orville but didn't gell with it, may have to revisit it.
I admit it felt odd to start with but the characters developed well and were very relateable (due to Seths addition of the humorus aspect of human interaction), some of the story lines worked well and there are some good candidates for long term story arcs that run along side the episodal stories. I wasn't a huge Seth McFarlane fan before the Orville but he did well with it and you can see he's a real Star Trek fan.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

drcarlos wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:41 am
Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am I started with the Orville but didn't gell with it, may have to revisit it.
I admit it felt odd to start with but the characters developed well and were very relateable (due to Seths addition of the humorus aspect of human interaction), some of the story lines worked well and there are some good candidates for long term story arcs that run along side the episodal stories. I wasn't a huge Seth McFarlane fan before the Orville but he did well with it and you can see he's a real Star Trek fan.
I think it was the humour side that put me off, I was expecting hard core sci fi, it might be better watching it again knowing what to expect.
evostick

Post by evostick »

Have finished watching all 92 episodes of Mad Men.

69 hours of my life stolen by Christina Hendrick's tits.

I have no complaints.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

JonMad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am
dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 pm
dinny_g wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:49 am The Outsider

Watched Episode 1 last night. Looks like it might be pretty good.
2 down - getting even better. Well worth checking out
Just realised this is based on the fairly recent Stephen King book. I added this book to my SK collection at Christmas, though have not had a chance to start it yet. A quick google suggests this is Sky Atlantic only? (I also want to see 11/22/63 but don't have Hulu either, which that was on iirc).
Watched ep 4 last night. Cant decide if I like it but will continue out of intrigue :shock: :twisted:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

evostick wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm Have finished watching all 92 episodes of Mad Men.

69 hours of my life stolen by Christina Hendrick's tits.

I have no complaints.
Decent reason.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Zonda_ wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:04 pm Picard was great
I agree. Felt like it had more edge than previous ST series, airways felt tame, but this has potential!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Curb Your Enthusiasm is back. 8-)
tim

Post by tim »

Sex Education S2 on Netflix is as hilariously brilliant as the first. Check it out.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just watched the final Good Place on Netflix.

Sort of saw the ending coming after last week's show, but still a sad but necessary conclusion.

Although it's a comedy, this is one of the most thought inducing shows there's been. A shame it's over, but I'm glad they finished on a high rather than dragging it out for season after season.

8.5 Beramys out of 10.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

tim wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:39 am Sex Education S2 on Netflix is as hilariously brilliant as the first. Check it out.
yeah, I really enjoyed both series. The cars in it are great too!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

unzippy wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:56 am
drcarlos wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Zonda_ wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm

I enjoyed it, the only niggle was Data looking so much older.
Enjoyed it, mostly scene setting episode, but that's not usual for Star Trek to start slow (DS9 took ages to really get going and the first few TNG episodes were slow along with Enterprise basically commiting suicide by being a bit crap until the WW2 episodes). Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine in Voyager) is already credited in IMDB so there is likely to be a Voyager tie in. Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis also credited too so we know they'll be more TNG cast making appearances. Hoping that more Voyager cast members will return and fill us in on the 20 years that have passed since the return home. Would love to see Avery Brooks reprise Sisko but it looks unlikely, shame he was class in the role, so maybe some of the DS9 crew too, Kira, Bashir, O'Brien, Dax and Sisko junior would all make good additions and they have a good opportunity to do this and even set the scene for an original timeline spinoff with new cast.
Yes, I may be a bit of a Trekkie.
"Coming next week" had a clip of Seven of Nine and Riker, albeit with a massive beard. If Seven of Nine is onboard, I wonder if Locutus will reappear?

I loved that Picard's dog was called Number One :lol:
I love Star Trek and I'm a big fan of Sir Patrick Stewart and he's from Yorkshire! I watched Picard on the train on Thursday and really enjoyed it. Can wait for the rest!!!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sabrina latest series whatever.
Yeah, I know. Seems to have turned a bit soap opera, with musical bits thrown in. Very odd to have monsters getting decapitated being followed up by a saturday morning tv special style musical number.
5 'the cat still doesn't talk' disappoinments out of ten.

October Faction
I think someone read the SCP wiki and tried to make a TV show out of it, and it....didn't really work very well. Again, another show where they seem to want to put SMTV teen drama (and it really is after-school-special levels of dirge) into a show where they are (far more openly) disembowelling monsters. Maxim Roy is fit as a biscuit however which helps. The acting is hit and miss, though.
Four missed oppotunities out of ten.

Locke And Key
Another horror-ish show with kids in it, so I was expecting to be disappointed yet again on my gothic TV adventure time, but this is actually really quite good. Solid acting (even from the youngest one), enjoyable characters, decently sharp writing, etc. If you watched A Series Of Unfortunate Events on Netflix, it's similar to that in tone but aimed at an older audience. I quite enjoyed it and fingers crossed it'll get another series.
Seven dead dads out of ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've been looking forward to Locke and Key for a while as it's adapted from my all time favourite comic series.

I've been really enjoying it.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

The Stranger on Netflix was very good - certainly much better than recent efforts on terrestrial TV which had been lauded as being "totes amazeballs". It was quite twisty and turny without taking itself too seriously, everything came together nicely by the end and it had the courage of its convictions in the way a few of the plot strands played out.
Cheers,

Mike.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

Giri/Haji
Netflix series, plot can be summarized in 3 words : Yakuza in London
Entertaining story (but not very surprising), good acting, nice mix of Japanese and Scottish accents.
Liked it, 8 out of 10 cut of pinkies
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ascender wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:27 am The Stranger on Netflix was very good - certainly much better than recent efforts on terrestrial TV which had been lauded as being "totes amazeballs". It was quite twisty and turny without taking itself too seriously, everything came together nicely by the end and it had the courage of its convictions in the way a few of the plot strands played out.
It was good but I thought the ending was too 'easy'. I won't go into detail in case people are watching but a quick wipe wouldn't have held up in an investigation.