Decent Recent TV

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Matty »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:17 pm Loved the Mr Robot finale, all makes sense now (hat theory was a red herring) and was a brilliant way to end one of the most enjoyable series in recent years.
This. Just finished watching it. It was absolutely brilliant, no other word for it.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:28 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:58 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:38 pm

But why were the Magisterium soldiers using German WWII machine guns?
The same reason people drive around in Rover 90s.
Which is?
Certainly the first book (tempted to dive straight into the second now rather than wait a year for S2) never gives any explaination of why there's a mix of piston engines, machine guns, airships, witches, and daemens in this particular world.

Enjoyed episode 1 of The Witcher, think it may be pandering to the fans a bit much though, it really should've taken a bit more care explaining who everyone was.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just finished The Witcher tonight, quite enjoyed it as escapism but the time line thing got quite annoying by the end. And Yennefer is a basket case but I still would..
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Matty wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:02 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:17 pm Loved the Mr Robot finale, all makes sense now (hat theory was a red herring) and was a brilliant way to end one of the most enjoyable series in recent years.
This. Just finished watching it. It was absolutely brilliant, no other word for it.
They totally nailed the landing. Was more than a wee bit emotional.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Barry wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 pm Just finished The Witcher tonight, quite enjoyed it as escapism but the time line thing got quite annoying by the end. And Yennefer is a basket case but I still would..
I’ve tried to finish Episode 3 for the second time... but can’t.

I’m out...😕
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Anyone watching A Christmas Carol on BBC 1? I think it's fantastic so far.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yes and yes, loving it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:53 am Anyone watching A Christmas Carol on BBC 1? I think it's fantastic so far.
Yes, a very different twist on it.

See what I did there...
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:53 am Anyone watching A Christmas Carol on BBC 1? I think it's fantastic so far.
Yes. Loved it so far but it seems like a lot needs to be wrapped up in the last hour. Given the pace of the first 2 eps I hope it works out and isn't rushed through
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:07 pm
Yes. Loved it so far but it seems like a lot needs to be wrapped up in the last hour. Given the pace of the first 2 eps I hope it works out and isn't rushed through
Nailed it. Utterly superb.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Gwaredd wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:22 pm
Brilliant but I think it would have benefitted from another episode to give more time to flesh the end out.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Agreed!!
Still really good though
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yep that was most excellent.
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:31 pm
Gwaredd wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:22 pm

Brilliant but I think it would have benefitted from another episode to give more time to flesh the end out.
Totally agree. 4 fps would have been perfect. But unlike so many other BBC dramas where a rushed ending undoes the good work beforehand, this still worked.

Really enjoyed it and great to see some classic Xmas tv but given a new dimension. And didn't feel out of character with the classic story either
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 pm
They totally nailed the landing. Was more than a wee bit emotional.
I've just binged the entire series.

Bloody well done, that. Bloody well done.

Just shows what you can do if you actually know where your main plot is going to go, rather than making it up as you go along.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

So, what to watch next? Expanse? Witcher? Anything else relatively new that warrants a watch?
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Barry wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 pm Just finished The Witcher tonight, quite enjoyed it as escapism but the time line thing got quite annoying by the end. And Yennefer is a basket case but I still would..
Really enjoyed it. I think it’s really setting us up for the ‘main’ timeline to come though.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:44 am So, what to watch next? Expanse? Witcher? Anything else relatively new that warrants a watch?
Expanse took a few episodes to get into but I was hooked. It changes focus quite a lot between season 1 and 3 but all for the good, I think.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Expanse is absolutely worth watching. It's fairly grounded-in-reality sci-fi that's really more politically and character based, but not as much as, say, the 2000s' Battelstar Galactica. It takes itself seriously, but doesn't play itself up as being important and meaningul like BSG did - it's far more tightly written and clearly written to be enjoyed for the sake of it, rather than being some kind of direct allegory or on-the-nose 'look, humanity bad' type show. It's more about how humanity deal with a properly sideways outside context problem*, given what a bunch of territorial numpties unable to deal with big pictures that humanity can be.

Also, just to go back to Mr Robot for a moment, the more I think about it, the more S4 E7 might well have been the highlight of the entire series, full stop. It sets itself up as one of their fun, experimental episodes tha they do typically once a season (structured like a play, only two sets, only three real characters - they do this every so often, like one episode that was shot in near real time and appeared to be 'one shot' all the way through) and you think, "ah, this'll be a bit of fun". And then it drops that fucking bombshell towards the end of it.

Wonderfully done. That has proper stuck with me today.

* The phrase was coined by Ian M Banks. From Wiki:

An OCP is the kind of problem "most civilizations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

"The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbours were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass...

..when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests."
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Will check The Expanse out tomorrow then. We’re just binging Mission Impossible.

Nice post about Mr Robot [mention]Beany[/mention]. Kid of want to watch it all over again during the holidays...
Cheers,

Mike.