Decent Recent TV

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by Matty »

Mr Robot Episode 7 was one of its best yet. Incredibly well delivered in every aspect. It's no spoiler that this show is very, very much on the topic of mental health. However, they dropped a massive bomb at the end of the episode. It kinda makes sense, but at the same time, feels like it wasn't really needed, IMO. Well, not to that extent anyway.

Still, after 4000 reviews it's sitting at a solid 10/10 on IMDB.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Matty wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:34 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am I'm just going to wait until all of Mr Robot is available to watch the final season. I did start a re-watch with the wife who enjoyed it, but the day after asked when we were going to watch the next episode of "Dr Computer." I mean, honestly... she has a degree and everything, so I've no idea what's happened.
S1 is great
S2 is hard work
S3 is almost as great as S1
S4 is off to a good start.
I'm enjoying season 2 much more second time round.

How many episodes are left in S4?
Cheers,

Mike.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I hope there's more than one left after watching EP7
Left over crest; tightens.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I’ve been enjoying Apple TV Plus

See - in a future where a virus has killed most of human kind, and left everyone else blind, a set of twins are born with the ability to see. Aquaman is excellent in it. Seeing the subtle and not so subtle ways a blind civilisation survives and prospers in the world is interesting. There’s only 5 episodes out right now, and it’s EXCELLENT

The Morning Show - Rachel Fromfriends is an American morning news show host, along with her on-screen cohost of 15 years, Steve Carell. Steve gets #MeToo’d and is fired, leaving Rachel’s future on the show in limbo. Doesn’t sound that interesting, but is actually really very good. With some great characters, and I think quite an interesting, very 2018/19 story to tell.

Both of these shows are really good, and I’d 100% recommended both. They’re beautifully shot. Well acted. Great stories. Big names.

Apple TV Plus is free for a year if you’ve bought an i-anything since 19th September. If not, it’s only £4.99 a month. I watch it on my Roku TV. I guess there’s Apps for all the major things??
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

JonMad wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:42 am I hope there's more than one left after watching EP7
Looks like there's 12 or 13 episodes in the final season.

Just finished episode 7 which was amazing. I'm really loving this show, much, much moreso on a second visit. The episode with their break-in was gripping stuff from start to finish.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

So Mr Robot... what do we think about the hat theory now that the truth is out about Elliot’s childhood?
Cheers,

Mike.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

The Thick Of It

A few years behind, but blimey it's good. Have to watch on my phone though as the handheld camera crap makes me nauseous if watching on a bigger screen. "Yes, minister" for modern times!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

DeskJockey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:50 pm The Thick Of It

A few years behind, but blimey it's good. Have to watch on my phone though as the handheld camera crap makes me nauseous if watching on a bigger screen. "Yes, minister" for modern times!
That series is proper genius television, the writing is amazing. I can (and have) watch that on a constant loop, its so great and even now I'm still finding little jokes that I missed on past viewings.
Cheers,

Mike.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:23 pm So Mr Robot... what do we think about the hat theory now that the truth is out about Elliot’s childhood?
It would make sense. I can't think of anyone else around him who isn't confirmed to be real. Gotta be honest, that 'torture' scene in Ep8 didn't go anywhere near as expected :lol: no messing around. Consistently impressed with this season though, it's been one of the best.

Ep8 spoilers (minor ones):
Spoiler
I couldn't remember where that Irish fella came from! Had to Google it, back from Ep2. "A few of them might have shat themselves" :lol:
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Ascender wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:26 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:50 pm The Thick Of It

That series is proper genius television, the writing is amazing. I can (and have) watch that on a constant loop, its so great and even now I'm still finding little jokes that I missed on past viewings.
One of my favourites too, hence the avatar. So quotable :lol: It’s reportedly based on a mate’s brother.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Watchmen three episodes to go in series one and it's getting crazier and it's great.

Cue up the Red Dwarf theme for Veidt :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It doesn’t get any less crazy.

Last episode of the series is mental!!

I really enjoyed it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

We're really spoiled for great TV at the moment. Watchmen keeps getting better and better, but its going to need a rewatch from the start I think.

Have started Man in the High Castle on Prime, its off to a promising start.

Has anybody watched the new War of the Worlds thing on the Beeb?
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am Has anybody watched the new War of the Worlds thing on the Beeb?
Yes. Don't get too excited. I don't think it's quite as bad as people are keen to make out, but it's certainly not brilliant

I'm bored at the moment - spent the last 2 nights scanning through terrestrial, Netflix and Prime offerings with nothing taking my fancy. Quite looking forward to seeing the Beeb's efforts with Dracula though, which starts soon. Apparently they're out to make it uncomfortable viewing 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye, I was quite looking forward to the war of the worlds as I love the story but apparently it's a bit shit.

Been watching His Dark materials on BBC, it's been pretty good.
An absolute unit
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:28 am Aye, I was quite looking forward to the war of the worlds as I love the story but apparently it's a bit shit.

Been watching His Dark materials on BBC, it's been pretty good.
Yeah I've got into that actually. Was a bit disappointed after the first couple of episodes but it's picked up quite a bit now.

I might give Giri/Haji another go.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Oh well, I'll put War of the Worlds to the bottom of the list. His Dark Materials got off to an incredibly slow start but has picked up now.
Cheers,

Mike.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Going to give Upright a go.

I like Tim Minchin and the blurb about it makes it sound like it's worth a watch.

Edit - 2 episodes in. Very, very good. Milly Alcock’s brilliant!
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Just finished Upright...

4 hours of almost perfect television. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant...

I may have something in my eye... :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 pm It doesn’t get any less crazy.

Last episode of the series is mental!!

I really enjoyed it
Whadayouknow... episode 6 wasn’t the last in the series. :lol:

Getting no less weird but still very intriguing