Decent Recent TV

JLv3.0

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by JLv3.0 »

That just isn't accurate Rich. Try some of the later seasons where they've all really settled into their roles.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:13 pm It was funny until they added Devito and changed the entire show.
We're through the looking glass now people... DeVito is an absolute genius in that show. I think I almost wet myself laughing on the episode where Dee is staying over with Charlie who is explaining that what she should do for a good sleep is to have a beer, huff some glue and top it off with some cat food. Then Frank bursts in and without missing a beat or playing it up for the cameras, does all of those things and crashes out on the bed.

DeVito seems to be absolutely revelling in portraying Frank.

Like JL says, part of the joy from repeated viewings is that despite it seeming to be quite one dimensional on first viewing, there's so much going on there once you get to know the characters well.
Cheers,

Mike.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I actually cried laughing at that bit :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I may give it another go. It was such a major change to the whole show (it even looked different) when he joined, I watched a few after that point and didn’t laugh once.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Stick with it, you're missing some absolute gold.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I may be 41, but I'm beyond excited about this

The artist formerly known as _Who_
tim

Post by tim »

I've started watching Undercover on Netflix. It's pretty good so far. It's dubbed from Dutch, but not badly so. Pair of undercover cops trying to infiltrate a drug lord on a holiday camp.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Peterlplp wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:20 pm
Haven't watched much TV lately but really liked The Umbrella Academy - short season based on a comic about an oddball crime fighting family.
Wondered if someone had mentioned this one. Enjoying it, after thinking I'll watched Game of Thrones from S1E1 (never seen any of it), I got distracted onto Umbrella Academy instead.
Left over crest; tightens.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

tim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 am I've started watching Undercover on Netflix. It's pretty good so far. It's dubbed from Dutch, but not badly so. Pair of undercover cops trying to infiltrate a drug lord on a holiday camp.
I’ve just finished this, it’s pretty decent. I hadn’t realised it was dubbed!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Ascender wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:24 pmMate I've being trying to get you lot into Sunny for decades now! My favourite show ever, and I don't say that lightly.
Its one of those shows I can't believe I didn't know existed for so long and is now an absolute staple. The structure of each episode is spot-on in terms of the instant setup and short length, so just pop one on anytime. Its genius and seems to get better and better with each repeated viewing.
A bit hit and miss for me.

Watched a few of the early ones when it was on ITV2 (?) and enjoyed it.

Then watched again (later seasons?) a couple of years ago but didn’t enjoy it as much so gave up.

I went to that ‘pub’ which was featured in season 1 (?) when I visited Philadelphia a few years ago. I have a picture at home somewhere.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

mik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 pm
scotta wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 pm
Ascender wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 am Chernobyl is utterly brilliant and utterly terrifying.
This.

I searched this thread to post the same.
Watched ep2 tonight. Fantastic 8-) and horrific :(
Agree with all of this. Episode 3 almost put me off pizza.
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Maurice wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm
mik wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 pm
scotta wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 pm

This.

I searched this thread to post the same.
Watched ep2 tonight. Fantastic 8-) and horrific :(
Agree with all of this. Episode 3 almost put me off pizza.
Just watched episode 4 - made all the more terrifying by understanding precisely what is going on and why they had to do it,
Spoiler
thank the sky pixies she wasn't cradling a dead mutant baby at the end though - the real life pics of post chernobyl kids are bad enough as still images
Foz

Post by Foz »

:cry: Just caught up and watched EP 1 of Chernobyl
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Time to rewatch Deadwood as the movie is about to land. Brilliant show with amazing swearing and facial hair.
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Good Omens impossibly high expectations for this and episode 1 wasn't bad. Not sure how much non book fans got out of it, the Mrs seemed entertained enough.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:26 am That just isn't accurate Rich. Try some of the later seasons where they've all really settled into their roles.
ive just finished rewatching the 1st series (loved it). Devito has just turned up...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Deadwood movie on Sky Atlantic is all sorts of brilliant and surprisingly moving too.

5 goddam cock sucking hoople heads out of 5.
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:22 pm Good Omens impossibly high expectations for this and episode 1 wasn't bad. Not sure how much non book fans got out of it, the Mrs seemed entertained enough.
Watched the first two episodes last night, really enjoying it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Started watching Shane Meadow's new Show The Virtues over the weekend. I'm a big fan of his and this is another great one. Steven Graham is brilliant in it. Not an easy watch at times but when is Shane Meadow's work ever easy.

Also All 4 has Once upon a time in the Midlands available to stream just now. Worth watching if you haven't seen it before.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I watched the first episode of the virtues - is it actually possible to say that someone is too good an actor! It was damn good, but a bit full on!