Decent Recent TV

dinny_g

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by dinny_g »

It is a lot darker, isn't it
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Dean Martin : King of Cool on Sky Arts

Really lovely, warm tribute to a genuinely cool guy. Features lots of input family and friends, it feels genuine and insightful

9 Glasses of Apple Juice pretending to Bourbon out of 10
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Man vs Bee

This is the new Rowan Atkinson/Netflix comedy

Now, I'm a clumsy bugger (most of our friends have sets of 3x wine glasses thanks to my long, flailing arms) and I have to admit, I felt genuinely quite anxious watching the first couple of episodes - then it becomes really silly and 'cartoonish' and I could relax a bit

I really enjoyed this...

My wife and I binged the whole thing on Friday night

It underlines how RA is a physical-comedy genius - genuinely had me in tears at some points
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Yep, watched it all last night, great fun.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

The Mandalorian - Superb!! Loved every minute of it.

Stranger Things - Excellent. Wasn't sure after the first couple of episodes but stuck with it and am glad I did. Just got to the end of season 2. Gripping and exciting stuff.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Only 4 episode in but really enjoying it.

So glad I took a Disney+ subscription for all the Star Wars based stuff. Nevermind all the Marvel universe which I'm watching with my daughter. £8 well spent.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

We watched the first episode of Man vs Bee and it was very well done. We've deliberately not binged it as I think it will be even better enjoyed that way.

Still not finished season 3 of Stranger Things but the kids are raving about season 4...

Obi-Wan... really enjoyed the first episode or two, less so the rest.

We've been rewatching What We Do In The Shadows ahead of the new series starting and the same with Westworld - the trailer for the new season looks brilliant, but after a great 1st season it went a bit off the rails to say the least.

Better Call Saul starts its final season soon, so I can't wait for that.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Oh, finally got round to watching For All Mankind on Apple TV and its bloody brilliant.
The series dramatizes an alternate history depicting "what would have happened if the global space race had never ended" after the Soviet Union succeeds in the first crewed Moon landing ahead of the United States
Just started season 2..
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Has anyone watched Inventing Anna?

Netflix thing about a little scoundrel which is actually a true story. Drags a bit but worth a watch 7 wire transfers outa 10
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am Has anyone watched Inventing Anna?

Netflix thing about a little scoundrel which is actually a true story. Drags a bit but worth a watch 7 wire transfers outa 10
I really enjoyed it and it is uncanny how much the lass who plays her looks like her!
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Finished Obi Wan - had it's moments but it continues the Disney tradition of neutering really cool characters (like Boba Fett)

Started watching Halo - fairly standard military sci-fi. Two episodes in at the moment and I'm entertained.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:49 am
Broccers wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am Has anyone watched Inventing Anna?

I really enjoyed it and it is uncanny how much the lass who plays her looks like her!
She does doesnt she. Also, if you look at @theannadelvey on insta she has 1m+ followers :D
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

dinny_g wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:40 pm Stranger Things Series 4

I appreciate it isn’t for everyone but loving this series so far. Clocked some of the twists early but you can never be sure until the reveal.

9 Very clever Paul Reiser references to Aliens out of 10
Last two episodes closed off everything quite nicely and set up the 5th and final series. Max aside, some of the characters are beginning to feel the weight of Plot Armour but still very enjoyable overall.

9 "Loved Eddie playing Master of Puppets, despite being a very cheesy section overall"'s our of 10
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Not watched the new Stranger Things or The Boys yet. Currently watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds which is promising after two episodes.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Strange New Worlds is a fairly light, monster-of-the-week type affair without being excessively grim-dark.

You know, a bit like TNG and DS9, without any background arcs.

It's almost like not having a universe ending threat all the time and just writing entertaining little tales works well for Star Trek....
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:14 pm
We've been rewatching What We Do In The Shadows ahead of the new series starting
I'm really late to this, but as a massive fan of Matt Berry I've been absolutely loving it. The episode where he becomes Jackie Daytona is just outstanding.
Beany

Post by Beany »

The Boys Season 3

Consistently entertaining, sometimes staggeringly violent and occasionally jaw-droppingly ludicrous in varied, absurd ways.

The whole cast is strong but Antony Starr (who plays Homelander) is a treasure, playing a character who goes from full cringe to (in context) absolutely, genuinely terrifying in the same scene.

The threads left for S4 look like there's good meat there.

If you've not watched it, I'd strongly recommend it if you've got a reasonably strong stomach.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Stranger Things S4 Pt 2

I quite enjoyed this.It's very much More Of The Same stylistically, but the format used (two very long episodes) actually works pretty well.

Basically if you enjoyed the rest of it, you'll enjoy this, and you've probably already watched it.

A solid 7/10
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:23 pm The Boys Season 3

Consistently entertaining, sometimes staggeringly violent and occasionally jaw-droppingly ludicrous in varied, absurd ways.

The whole cast is strong but Antony Starr (who plays Homelander) is a treasure, playing a character who goes from full cringe to (in context) absolutely, genuinely terrifying in the same scene.

If you've not watched it, I'd strongly recommend it if you've got a reasonably strong stomach.
I'm about halfway through S3 at the mo and yes - I'd say they've really ramped up on the stomach churning stuff. I mean Ep1 really set their stall out :lol: :shock:

I think the most distressing for me so far was Timothy :(
teacherboy

Post by teacherboy »

Beany wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:23 pm The Boys Season 3

All of this with extra fake smiles on - just watched season 3 finale and it does indeed set things up nicely
Beany

Post by Beany »

Timothy was....I mean, I'm Very Internet and was there in the days of the old lemon parties and the steak and cheeses, but that got my attention.

Antony Starr, however, just fucking sells being a full blown sociopath with powers that you literally can't stop if he wanted to come the cunt.

I mean, what do you do if Homelander goes off the fucking wall?

You die, that's what you do. Everyone. Fucking. Dies.
Last edited by Beany on Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.