Decent Recent TV

speedingfine

Re: Decent Recent TV

Post by speedingfine »

Second vote for Time, Jimmy McGovern wrote it in case anyone needs convincing.
tim

Post by tim »

Ascender wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 pm Is anyone else watching Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime? Utterly charming, entertaining and I'm sure might even change a few opinions about him (but probably not).
Two in so far and loving it.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:46 pm Is anyone else watching Clarkson's Farm on Amazon Prime? Utterly charming, entertaining and I'm sure might even change a few opinions about him (but probably not).
Have enjoyed and episode and half so far. Kaleb looks like an excellent foil for Clarkson. The farming fatality statistic is bloody shocking although not surprising with the state of the "safety" features of some of the old tractors and gear he looked at.

Respect to Clarkson for seemingly giving it a genuine go, it's a very hard job.

Never realised my great uncle's intimidating sheep dogs might be worth five figures each!
Glad to see its not just me then, its great TV.

At the other end of the spectrum @RobYob, my in laws sheep dogs are apparently utterly useless and definitely not worth 5 figures!
Cheers,

Mike.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Binge watched it all yesterday, brilliant stuff!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Ascender wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:42 pm Glad to see its not just me then, its great TV.

At the other end of the spectrum @RobYob, my in laws sheep dogs are apparently utterly useless and definitely not worth 5 figures!
Time for a barking drone :lol:
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Ragnarok series 2 is carrying on from where the first left off. It is very good TV in a not-American, not Scandi-noir way.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Feels unusual the amount of swearing
Ascender wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:42 pm
RobYob wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 pm
Have enjoyed and episode and half so far. Kaleb looks like an excellent foil for Clarkson. The farming fatality statistic is bloody shocking although not surprising with the state of the "safety" features of some of the old tractors and gear he looked at.

Respect to Clarkson for seemingly giving it a genuine go, it's a very hard job.

Never realised my great uncle's intimidating sheep dogs might be worth five figures each!
Glad to see its not just me then, its great TV.

mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:28 pm
Ascender wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:26 pm Started watching Your Honor starring Brian Cranston today. The first 10 minutes of episode 1 are brilliantly done and am a few episodes in now. I don't think its going to be amazing, but is enjoyable fare.
Jeezus fucking fuck - it’s really fucking good but it’s tense as fuck and every episode is stress :shock:
Finished this last night. We had started asking each other “Do you want to watch another episode of Stress?”

It softened a little in the middle where some of the actions were a bit believable, but generally it remained excellent, with almost every episode being
- oh fuck no :shock:
- oh look - this should make things a bit better :?
- argh it made it worse :cry:

Strong finish.
9.5 sneaky deceptions out of 10
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

If you’re interested in a potted history of the Northern Ireland problem, and let’s face it, who isn’t… :lol:

The Road to Partition on the BBC

2 parter about how the Partition came into being

Follow this with

Peter Taylor - Ireland after Partition, also on the Beeb

Focuses on the troubles since 1970

Both very interesting
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:20 pm If you’re interested in a potted history of the Northern Ireland problem, and let’s face it, who isn’t… :lol:

The Road to Partition on the BBC

2 parter about how the Partition came into being

Follow this with

Peter Taylor - Ireland after Partition, also on the Beeb

Focuses on the troubles since 1970

Both very interesting
BBC did one called 'Spotlight on the Troubles', which I think was on a while back but I only watched it on the iPlayer last year so might still be on. Donal MacIntyre's brother, Darragh, did 3/4 episodes. I found it fascinating and harrowing in equal measure.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah there's been some very good ones on - 100 year anniversary etc.

It's been a long time since my school history lessons but it's good to remind myself of the facts, no matter how difficult some of it is for an Irish guy living in the England with English partner and English son.

The Irish nationalists did some pretty nasty stuff between 1914 and 1922
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Binged Mare of Easttown over the weekend, very good and I'm not a crime fan, although a bit hard to keep track of all the characters. Followed that up with the surprisingly accessible Wandavision the Mrs got a kick out of all the sitcom shoutouts and we both really enjoyed it despite (or perhaps because of) not being huge MCU fans, funny to see the MoE actor turn up as a cross franchise stand in character/impersonator. Awaiting the next Loki this evening although it's still up for grabs if it's going to be as good as The Umbrella Academy (someone was copying another's work with the retro "Agency" deal). Have yet to have time to watch the second half of Clarkson's farm.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Anyone watching Loki ? I always thought Hiddleston was great as Loki but this is....well it's a bit slapstick. 3 Episode in and i'm still not sure.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

First three Loki episodes have been a lot of style over substance to me, it's adequate rather than compelling. Hope it improves in the 2nd half of the season.

Rick and Morty first episode of the new season was exactly what I want from R&M and even managed a muffled snort (and an audible eyerolls) or two from the Mrs. Nine civilisation ending techno massacres on a wine run out of ten.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Been watching the new Top Gear America, I quite like it. Jethro is a genuinely good presenter and Dax Shepard actually seems to know his stuff car wise, Rob Condry is also good.

The episodes are only half an hour and there's no studio stuff so there's less of that uncomfortable banter that blights every other attempt at a post Clarkson and co Top Gear.

Worth watching.
An absolute unit
Beany

Post by Beany »

Loki is quite enjoyable. Standard Marvel popcorn fluff to set up the next phase of movies but the main acting talent are charismatic and fun to watch, and it's interesting seeing where they're going.

Only six episodes (four in so far) so a quick binge in a couple of weeks when it's done.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Sweet Tooth

Another new series based on a comic I’m a big fan of.

I really enjoyed it, described it as Wes Anderson directing The Road last night.

If you like a post apocalypse thing it’s worth checking out.
An absolute unit
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Rick and Morty series 5 started a couple of weeks ago on e4, followed by series 2 of Harley Quinn
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

Sweet Tooth was really enjoyable. Wasn't too sure what to expect, but definitely worth a watch.

Just finished Invincible on Amazon Prime. It's kind of similar to The Boys, but in cartoon format. Thought it was pretty good.

Hadn't realised the new Rick and Morty series was out, will need to go look that up.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I watched e1 of sweet tooth - I likes the style, but I'm wondering where it's going though, as it is fairly a bonkers concept.