Book review thread

ZedLeg

Re: Book review thread

Post by ZedLeg »

Still reading the Three Musketeers, not enjoying it as much as The Count of Monte Cristo so it's taking a while to get through. It's very silly.
An absolute unit
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

unzippy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:43 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am I'm almost done with Rivers of London.

Love these 8-)
I've got book 2 and 3 waiting for my holiday. I was looking for an Urban Fantasy because Jim Butcher has been too busy building his house to actually write the 16th Dresden Files book for the last 3 years!

I heartily recommend the Dresden Files. The 15 books and all the short stories are permanently on my kindle and are frequently reread.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

unzippy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:41 am Mind you, WTF he was on with The Redemption of Althalus? Didn't get that at all :shock:
I read that many many years ago and think enjoyed it. Seem to Remember the cat was full of snark.

Finished Cryptonomicon and it is brilliant as an audiobook.

For something I bit more straightforward I've started on The Witcher Saga.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Got around to reading Blindsight.

Very hard sci-fi, very interesting concepts, definitely need to be in the mood for it.

That said, it's creative commons so it's worth downloading and having a go.

Basically, it appears that aliens have contacted earth in a quite bizarre way, and it's up to a band of - quite frankly - weirdos to act as the first fleshy investigators into them before they reach us. Features (biologically well explained) vampires and biotech augmentation etc.

If you want an example of the level of thought that's gone into it, here's a primer on vampires.

http://www.rifters.com/blindsight/vampires.htm
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Started Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" and it is very enjoyable, but oh my how the advent of the internet has aged the book. The nano technology and smart devices are as clever as you'd expect, but when there is the mention of tapes as a data storage medium and a lack of connectedness...

Especially like the invention of the Neo-Victorians as a concept.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I didn't gel with The Diamond Age at all, from memory. Not sure why.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I need a stack of books for my upcoming two week holiday in which I intend to spend a large chunk of the time reading (fuck, I'm getting old).
PreacherCain wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:37 pm I am halfway through "Exactly: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World" by Simon Winchester and recommend it wholeheartedly.
This sounds ideal for the kind of books I enjoy and has gone straight to the top of the list.

Can You guys give me some more ideas? I'm only really interested in non-fiction but I may make an exception for the Bone Clocks as I'm a big fan of David Mitchell.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'll just push Shadow Divers one more time here mate. Non-fiction but inspirational.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 pm I'll just push Shadow Divers one more time here mate. Non-fiction but inspirational.
Already done (I think on your recommendation years ago). It is indeed brilliant.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Ah good on you! An incredible read isn't it!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 pm I'll just push Shadow Divers one more time here mate. Non-fiction but inspirational.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Divers- ... dow+Divers

This one?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Very much so mate. Read. It.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 pm Very much so mate. Read. It.
Buying it now.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:12 pm I didn't gel with The Diamond Age at all, from memory. Not sure why.
I can imagine why. It is very different to his other books and, so far, runs at a much slower pace.

When I started it I was almost ready to put it down after the first few chapters - it didn't click at all, but I persisted (helped by being the only other book I brought with me to France and that I don't like Kindling) and it has paid off. I am normally very much into either hard sci-fi or the space opera genre (NS and William Gibson being the only consistent deviations) and the difference between the Hydrogen Sonata (last book I finished) and this was quite significant (beyond the obvious comparisons).

Have another go!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Richard

Post by Richard »

Im currently reading this. So far, pretty interesting. It’s mostly about how America will continue after a proper nuclear attack on the country. Also, about how they choose bunker sites etc.

I bought it after reading this INCREDIBLE (and lengthy) article by the author about AirForce One immediately after-during the 9/11 attacks - https://www.politico.eu/article/were-th ... orge-bush/

Everyone should read that article. It’s first person accounts from people who were onboard AF1, and how the government protected the President etc
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir, crime caper on the moon in the near future. It's not as good as the Martian but it's a pretty good yarn still, good light read.

I will go and read The Moon is harsh Mistress again though.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Come on guys, so far only one book for my holiday stack. Do better! ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm going to add Marc Morris' King John book to the list as I've read two other books of his and really enjoyed them.

Spose I'll add Bone Clocks, that's three. One more should do it.
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I’ve downloaded Adrian Newey’s book, but haven’t read it yet; maybe look at its reviews?
Cheers,

Ian
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

IanF wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:26 am I’ve downloaded Adrian Newey’s book, but haven’t read it yet; maybe look at its reviews?
It's definitely worth a read.
Banal Vapid Platitudes