Book review thread

V8Granite

Re: Book review thread

Post by V8Granite »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am Currently reading the Gulag Archipelago.

It makes the Nazis look like a group of angry girl guides in comparison to the Communist elite. Quite an upsetting book.

Dave!
Genuinely a very upsetting book due to the casual references to some horrific and upsetting stuff. Will take a break from this one as it’s a bit heavy.

Dave!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:26 pm Resurrecting this thread to say how much I enjoyed my Christmas buy of Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. One of Obama’s top ten books of 2019 and rightly so. I wasn’t very up on NI recent history and it’s just such a gripping account.
Patrick Radden Keefe has a new book coming out on the opioid epidemic and the Sackler family’s role in it called Empire of Pain. I am very excited.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:26 pm Resurrecting this thread to say how much I enjoyed my Christmas buy of Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. One of Obama’s top ten books of 2019 and rightly so. I wasn’t very up on NI recent history and it’s just such a gripping account.
Patrick Radden Keefe has a new book coming out on the opioid epidemic and the Sackler family’s role in it called Empire of Pain. I am very excited.
Funnily enough I heard of this this week through Jon Oliver enthusing over his previous books.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 pm
V8Granite wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am Currently reading the Gulag Archipelago.

It makes the Nazis look like a group of angry girl guides in comparison to the Communist elite. Quite an upsetting book.

Dave!
Genuinely a very upsetting book due to the casual references to some horrific and upsetting stuff. Will take a break from this one as it’s a bit heavy.

Dave!
I’m halfway through now and it’s still the same. There seems to be a huge part of history I never knew about.

Essentially the rest of the world let Russia carry on with a bit of genocide, mass killings, people disappearing, your neighbour telling on you so the authorities don’t think you are against the regime etc. There was a part which actually had me shed a few tears with how matter of fact a part was told, never had that from a book before.

It seems to say that we shouldn’t think we are all good honest people, don’t think you wouldn’t help yourself by having someone sent to the Gulag, don’t think you wouldn’t be a Nazi, it’s human nature to do terrible things in times of great stress and hardship. The people who truly kept their moral standing were few and far between, not because Russians are more wicked than others but because they were all in a position we couldn’t even imagine dealing with nowadays.

Communism and Marxism are horrific and wicked things.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Child 44 covers the same period. Horrific. Both book and film of that are worth reading/watching.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

RobYob wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:52 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:04 pm
Funnily enough I heard of this this week through Jon Oliver enthusing over his previous books.
My pre-order arrived Saturday, absolutely spell-binding. I had no idea the Sacklers has basically designed the whole way drugs are marketed in the modern era (drug reps going out and schmoozing doctors etc). 1/3 in but it's beastly big.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've been rereading Berserk recently and just found out that the creator died a couple of weeks ago. Very sad as he was only 54 and never finished the series.

Can't even imagine working on something for 30 years and dying before it's finished.

Anyway, it's worth reading if you're a fan of basically any grimdark fantasy, sci-fi or horror from the last couple of decades. Kentaro Miura influenced pretty much everybody.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Finished Andy Weir's new novel, Project Hail Mary over the weekend. Really enjoyable and a bit of an evolution in style from The Martian (and the fairly forgettable Artemis)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

In a rare departure from sci-fi I read Eddie Jaku's "The happiest man on earth" and it is at once as grim, evil and gruesome as you'd expect a book about Holocaust to be, but also full of hope and positivity.

It isn't great literature, but conveys the message well and clearly. It is definitely worth a read.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I've just finished Bad Blood, a book about Silicon Valley startup Theranos

Literally unbelievable

I'm not sure where to begin

A proper page turner

Recommended to anyone with an interest in tech, startups, med-tech etc
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I read a Guardian Long Read on Theranos - it's an amazing story.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm currently reading: Exoplanets: Diamond Worlds, Super Earths, Pulsar Planets, and the New Search for Life Beyond Our Solar System by Michael Summers and James Trefil.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm a nerd, I don't really expect anyone else to want to read it.:lol:
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That, sounds good Duncs. Is it more physics or chemistry?
An absolute unit
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:55 pm Finished Andy Weir's new novel, Project Hail Mary over the weekend. Really enjoyable and a bit of an evolution in style from The Martian (and the fairly forgettable Artemis)
Reading Project Hail Mary now, about halfway. Indeed enjoyable, but with strong Martian vibes (lone guy working using sciences to fix problems).However, I really liked Artemis and would highly recommend it.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

ZedLeg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:47 pm That, sounds good Duncs. Is it more physics or chemistry?
I guess a bit of both, it's not got loads of technical stuff in it, more of a high level interpretation (mainly) of the exoplanet data from Kepler to hypothesise what interesting planets there could be out there and what it would mean for potential life out there.

Pretty easy read really.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Cool, I love some theoretical space science.
An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

@ZedLeg If that interests you, I strongly recommend the below that I mentioned a while ago. Great read.
duncs500 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:47 pm Five Billion Years of Solitude - Lee Billings

Fairly short book about the search for habitable exoplanets intertwined with the looking back at the development of earth and how this knowledge can aid the search.

Amazing book, admittedly it's a subject I'm quite interested in, but I found it totally captivating. I could easily see myself reading it again.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 pm I've just finished Bad Blood, a book about Silicon Valley startup Theranos

Literally unbelievable

A proper page turner

It’s an incredible story. I read it cover to cover on a transatlantic flight.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It has been 76 days since I last gamed and along with home renovation DIY I've actually sat down and read some stuff.

Leviathan Wakes as recommended in the TV thread, I can appreciate the adaptation even more now. Excellent and I've jumped straight into book 2.

I sexually identify as an attack helicopter far more interesting than most of the (by and large disingenuous) memes would indicate.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:51 pm
DaveE wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 pm I've just finished Bad Blood, a book about Silicon Valley startup Theranos

Literally unbelievable

A proper page turner

It’s an incredible story. I read it cover to cover on a transatlantic flight.
Right up my street, will switch from how to win friends and influence people which is a re-write of another book essentially.