Book review thread

dinny_g

Re: Book review thread

Post by dinny_g »

I’ve paused a few factual books and started Billy Summers by Stephen King.

Story of an Assassin doing “one last Job”. Really enjoying it. 1/3 through and no supernatural/alien stuff so one of ‘those’ Stephen King books.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Anyone got anything interesting to report? Looking for some non-fiction, ideally history or science related.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I have on the shelf, but haven't started reading yet, Fintan O'Toole's book, We Don't Know Ourselves. It's about the history of Ireland in the second half of the 20th century. Has very good reviews and I like his writing but I am afraid I haven't had the time to verify for myself yet. So a cautious recommendation only!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

I've just finished "The Silenced" by Claudio Fava about a rugby team standing up to the Argentina Government in the 70s, players disappearing etc. It's very good. Bought it last year and just got around ti it.

I'm about to start "The Sound of Gravity" by Joe Simpson - a fiction book from the guy who wrote Touching the Void. After that, I've got "All the Light I Cannot See" and then "In the Throne Room of the Mountain Gods" -

It's a book I've been hunting for for over 20 years. It was only issued twice - in 1977 in Hardback and then again, in 1986 in Softback. It's about an American Ascent of K2. It was always really rare with copies going for several hundred pounds which I just couldn't justify. But for some reason, prices have plummeted so I picked up a hardback 77 version and a softback 86 version. Both in good nick for £48 for the pair.

I've Zero idea why a book that used to sell for £750 is now £28 but I'm not complaining...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I've been rubbish with reading recently but I've been chipping away at this

https://www.merlinsheldrake.com/entangled-life

Pretty interesting, if you're into fungus.
An absolute unit
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

I enjoyed "The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World"

The guy was an amazing adventurer/scientist/thinker and certainly helped Darwin down the right track.

I've knocked off three of The Expanse books now, great Sci Fi adventure makes me appreciate how well the TV series was adapted.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

RobYob wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:02 pm I enjoyed "The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World"

The guy was an amazing adventurer/scientist/thinker and certainly helped Darwin down the right track.
Read that already, it is interesting, definitely my kind of thing.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I've also been fairly rubbish this last few months when it comes to reading. However, due partly to our visit to Suffolk recently, I've been re-reading (for the 3rd time!) Michael Wood's Secrets of the Dark Ages. It's a period in time that fascinates me, probably largely because so little is known about that period between the Romans "leaving" and the Normans landing.

It was nice to put some context to the section on Sutton Hoo Man, especially as we not only visited Sutton Hoo but spent a couple of days walking around the surrounding areas that are referred to.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Somehow I missed this update @Swervin_Mervin, I'll have to look that one up. Anyone been reading anything else interesting lately? 'tis the season for it.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

I’ve just finished Binge by Douglas Copeland. 60 short stories that are intertwined. I liked it; it appealed to my shortening attention span 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm Brandon Sanderson is another writer I have on my list but never get round to. I liked what he did with the end of the wheel of time but I've never read any of his own series.
I am rather late to this party, but youngest miklet insisted I read The Way Of Kings. Only 25% through it, but - it’s good.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I had nothing to read a couple of months back when up in Scotland, so popped into a 2nd hand bookstore in Moffat. Lots of heavy going stuff in there, but I did spot a really good condition copy of Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling - essentially an update of his travels of Britain. I've never read any of his work before so gave it a shot.

Really enjoyed it. Plenty of LOL moments, and he really comes across as a typical grumpy old man - reminded me of my dad - which surprised me as I thought maybe being American he might somehow be different. Maybe he's been over here long enough to be British-ised. But at the same time depite all the moans it's really interesting to see Britain through the eyes and words of a "foreigner", in particular when he contrasts the shit aspects against the really incredibly good bits.

Since then I've been reading Black & Britsh - A Forgtotten History by David Olusoga, and it's a fascinating book - I'm only a small way through but so far it's been truly eye-opening. I tend to dip in and out of it, however as it can, not surprisingly, get a bit heavy.

So to fill the gaps I ordered a bunch more books recently, including some more Iain M Banks, and a couple more Bill Bryson including his Adventures of Captain Thunderbolt. That's an autobiography of his time growing up in '50s America. Again, very funny but also plenty of WTAF moments!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:47 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 pm Brandon Sanderson is another writer I have on my list but never get round to. I liked what he did with the end of the wheel of time but I've never read any of his own series.
I am rather late to this party, but youngest miklet insisted I read The Way Of Kings. Only 25% through it, but - it’s good.
Ah, I'd forgotten about him. I've still been struggling to get back into reading regularly and a big dumb fantasy adventure might be what I need to get back in the habit.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:07 pm
mik wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:47 am
Ah, I'd forgotten about him. I've still been struggling to get back into reading regularly and a big dumb fantasy adventure might be what I need to get back in the habit.
Welcome to borrow this copy when I’m done 😎
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Thought some might appreciate this story on the Beeb today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66131911

Good lad I say!

As for recent books read - my progress through the Culture novels continues, having just finished Matter. Bloody loved this book - it's like he felt he was able to go full chat on the tech side and it worked so well when contrasted against the human-basic setting of the Sursamen. But at the same time does a lot to being things full circle with the links to the Idiran war which is fleshed out a little more here.

At that point now where ther are only 2 books left in the series that I haven't read and that feels a little sad. However, it's so long ago since I read Consider Phlebas that I may just re-start again :lol:

ETA: Just reading up on my post from earlier this year and I can really recommend The Adventures of the Thunderbolt Kid. It's a great insight into the mindset of '50s America. Plenty of laughs and plenty of WTF moments, especially the nuclear tourism period! :lol: :shock:

Gavster
Currently Driving: ya mum

Post by Gavster »

Anyone got any recommendations for compelling non-fiction/autobiography reads?

Finding a massive lull in reading as my attention span hits rock bottom 😒
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Prince Harry - Spare ??? ;) :lol:
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

If you like modern dive adventure, Shadow divers by Roberth Kurson.
It's the true story about larger than life characters who ares trying to identify a sunken U boat. Very enjoyable.
Currently reading his follow up book, Pirate hunters. The same author also wrote Rocket men.
All 3 books are highly recommended.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I got Eject! Eject! by John Nichols as a present. It's a history of the development of the ejector seat intertwined with tales of a few people's experiences in both ejecting and in some cases being captured or escaping. Quite interesting, with a bit of gore, tragedy, and heart warming stories thrown in. Decent read.

On the kindle I have The Secret World: A History of Intelligence. Haven't read too much yet, but also interesting so far.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:01 pm The Secret World: A History of Intelligence.
I wouldn’t bother Duncs, you won’t get it… ;)