The Watches Thread

Pete_

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by Pete_ »

By the way Mik do you listen to the Scottish Watches podcast? They release 2 or 3 episodes per week which is far too much for me to keep up with but I listen ocasionally and enjoy the deep Gaswegian drivel and sarkiness.
Last edited by Pete_ on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

Nope - never heard of it - will give it a listen 😎
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

The most recent episode seems to be an audio recording of their weekly live video call with a bunch of random (non-Scottish) people I don't know, the previous episode (174) might be a better one as a first listen.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

[mention]Pete_[/mention] I listen to them, they're a right laugh. Met Rick and Rikki a few times at Redbar Glasgow and Edinburgh. Good guys.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

:lol: Have listened to about 25mins - yeah they are amusing enough.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:11 am
Alex_ wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:11 am When it was released last year, most people hated it (modern social media hysteria) but in person it looks a lot better (to my eyes anyway) and it's funky and different from a brand who makes very good but rather boring watches.
It’s an interesting watch, that’s for sure. Still not convinced I’ll ever like the massive metal end links but I’m sure it’ll become collectible in future; polarising watches often do.
Missed your comment Simon. The end links aren't too noticeable since they articulate and wrap around your wrist. As for future collector's item, who knows, there are plenty in the shop windows.
M235i
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Reposting in the correct place :lol:

Such a heartwarming story and the watches look stunning. Unfortunatly the Salmon has sold out, I've checked!
mik

Post by mik »

Cases look very Panerai. Which is no bad thing.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

That Fears is a lovely watch but those condom-like hands are awful no matter how much they cost to make. Met Nick at Redbar once, one of the nicest Englishmen you'll ever meet :lol: .
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

John wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 pm I like Hamilton watches, I've got a Khaki Air Race

I don’t need another watch, but I keep having recurring naughty thoughts about these and Christmas is approaching..... :geek:

I have however found another (clumsily named) Alpina Alpiner4. I nearly bought one second hand a few years back but snoozed n loosed. :roll: They are pretty chunky at 44mm case width, but only 52.5mm lug to lug - which is less than my C11 Chris Ward.

This one is 3yrs old but immaculate for only £450 delivered..... super tempting. 😬

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

mik wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:07 pm
John wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 pm I like Hamilton watches, I've got a Khaki Air Race

I don’t need another watch, but I keep having recurring naughty thoughts about these and Christmas is approaching..... :geek:

I have however found another (clumsily named) Alpina Alpiner4. I nearly bought one second hand a few years back but snoozed n loosed. :roll: They are pretty chunky at 44mm case width, but only 52.5mm lug to lug - which is less than my C11 Chris Ward.

This one is 3yrs old but immaculate for only £450 delivered..... super tempting. 😬

Ooh that's lovely.
John

Post by John »

Keep an eye on TK Maxx online for Alpina watches. They had four different ones in stock this morning but are down to a single model now.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Ernest Jones have a few Alpina in the sale. Been looking myself, nice looking watch.
mik

Post by mik »

I may have just sent the money for this. On behalf of Mrs mik. For my Chrimbo. Yes, my Chrimbo.

8-)

Let the waiting commence! :D :? :cry:

DaveE

Post by DaveE »

How's this for a watch winder...

mik

Post by mik »

OMG - I hadn’t appreciated quite how cool this isn’t. :o

Only £200,000 odds too.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Thanks for bumping this thread. It's reminded me there's a limited edition Seiko Alpinist which goes on sale tomorrow in the UK which I'm very tempted by.

Anyway, I've made a couple of recent cheaper purchases: new straps. I'm rather pleased with them. Highly recommend keeping an eye on the eBay shop of this chap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lawr389/m.html

mik

Post by mik »

I also bought a new strap recently for my C1000CE.

The original grey canvas strap is starting to look a little worn. With the “silk” finish of the watch (it’s not gloss or Matt) this combo has always been quite understated, so I thought I might lift the visibility a bit - playing off the yellow accents on the dial - with a Hirsch Robby strap - which has a similar silk finish on the leather.

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Nice colour match of the highlights there. Is the Robby a waterproof strap?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

DaveE wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:19 am How's this for a watch winder...

Libera Te Tutemet Ex Inferis!