The Watches Thread

John

Re: The Watches Thread

Post by John »

Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:59 am Are prices falling quickly? I've been joking about getting a rrp rolex for my 50th next year but they are so overpriced on the secondary market it's unlikely.
Very slight drops in some used prices but new stuff still pretty much unobtainable. A friend tried Goldsmiths at Meadowhall and HL Brown last month and they wouldn’t even put him on “the list” for a Submariner or GMT
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

John wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am
Broccers wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:59 am Are prices falling quickly? I've been joking about getting a rrp rolex for my 50th next year but they are so overpriced on the secondary market it's unlikely.
Very slight drops in some used prices but new stuff still pretty much unobtainable. A friend tried Goldsmiths at Meadowhall and HL Brown last month and they wouldn’t even put him on “the list” for a Submariner or GMT
Rolex is no longer a retail brand....
As almost everybody now realises, Rolex authorised dealers do not sell watches to the public, they allocate them to customers that bring other benefits to them beyond the sale of a Submariner.

These benefits are mainly to do with taking care of customers who buy other, higher margin watches and jewelry in significant quantities.
https://www.watchpro.com/corders-column ... ail-brand/
John

Post by John »

Yep, one of the above mentioned asked my friend if he would be interested in buying jewellery.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I bought my new Submariner at retail and in stock due to a cancelled purchase from the dealer in Nottingham about five years ago. At the time I didn't know how lucky I was, and only went for the Sub after failing to buy a Daytona twice due to the dealers retiring before my name came up.
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

John wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am Very slight drops in some used prices but new stuff still pretty much unobtainable. A friend tried Goldsmiths at Meadowhall and HL Brown last month and they wouldn’t even put him on “the list” for a Submariner or GMT
There is no list, it's a gentle way of telling you to fuck off.
Cunt.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Wilspeed wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm
John wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am Very slight drops in some used prices but new stuff still pretty much unobtainable. A friend tried Goldsmiths at Meadowhall and HL Brown last month and they wouldn’t even put him on “the list” for a Submariner or GMT
There is no list, it's a gentle way of telling you to fuck off.
Kind of like the top line hyper cars etc

They're not "for sale", you're "invited to buy one"

And by "invited to buy" the manufacturer means "expected to buy" on pain of not being offered such "opportunities" again

Even I could get a Sub at retail, I'd never wear it, because it's not really a £6k watch (or whatever the retail price is) it's a £13k (say) watch and there's no way I'm taking the risk of walking about with something that valuable on
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I wear mine 3-4 times a week, otherwise it would be worthless!
John

Post by John »

Wilspeed wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm There is no list, it's a gentle way of telling you to fuck off.
I know ;)

I rarely wear mine now which is a shame but every scrote and his dog knows the value. Although people probably look at me, then the watch and decide it’s probably a fake anyway :D
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Asked as I read this the other day
https://www.watchpro.com/chronext-lays- ... ket-flips/

I'm sure a Tudor would do but its not quite a rolex ;)

I did watch watchtraders and the old fella on there said the older models have a rolex branded winder so a half way house :lol:
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

[/quote]

Although people probably look at me, then the watch and decide it’s probably a fake anyway :D
[/quote]

This is the theory that I always work on. ;)
mik

Post by mik »

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek+Phi ... tem/218051

Save over £40k! Bargain! First to see will buy (although they won’t own it - they will just be looking after it for the next generation)
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

mik wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:30 pm https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek+Phi ... tem/218051

Save over £40k! Bargain! First to see will buy (although they won’t own it - they will just be looking after it for the next generation)
One day...
Cunt.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/seamas ... 428449.htm

That’s essentially what I have been looking for - an aqua terra with a silver face. Looks fab.

Or. I go for el cheapo copy. The Orient Bambino is a lovely looking watch at the price https://amzn.eu/d/3LwEGRj
John

Post by John »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:23 am
John wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:59 am Cheap auto Hamilton

https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0124260/ ... ns-Watch/p
Already out of stock!

I’m kinda tempted by the cream dial for £465 though.
Back in stock :)
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I tried on a new seamaster today. Very tidy and I love the clean shape. They had a navy face one and I’m no longer sure I prefer the silver face, it would look good with a shirt or suit, I think.

Found a 2017 one for £3500…
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I must get my dad's Seamaster valued and up for sale.
John

Post by John »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:19 pm I tried on a new seamaster today. Very tidy and I love the clean shape. They had a navy face one and I’m no longer sure I prefer the silver face, it would look good with a shirt or suit, I think.

Found a 2017 one for £3500…
I was all set on buying the silver one but when I saw all the different colours lined up together it didn't quite cut it. I went for black which looks amazing in bright sunlight giving the impression of changing from grey to gloss black.

John

Post by John »

In other watch news the Sinn I ordered in April has now been sent to the shipping department!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

I love those Omega Seamster 300s, they're just too big for me
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

They look great.

I spent a good few days deciding I wanted a 1973 tudor submariner for my 50th. Then realised they are a lot of money for a battered old watch :)